Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > General Kayak Fishing > Newbies

Newbies Here's the spot for those new to kayak fishing to ask the questions that everyone asks in the beginning. So look for it here and if you don't see it ask.

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 02:17 PM

Let me prefix this by saying I've been kayaking for probably over 10 years in the Pacific NW and own deck boats.

A kayak guide from Japan visited my wife and I recently. I expressed an interest in kayaking fishing, and he showed me his set-up which was very basic.

Basically, he recommends the "Tsuri-baka-nishi" set-up. "Tsuribakanishi" is based on a Japanese comic book and they have a new movie out every summer. See http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0203174/. Anyway, there's a newbie fishing kit you can buy in stores in Japan that's 980 yen (about $8), which from what I recall is a telescoping rod with reel and some lures. This is what he recommends for fishing for small rockfish around Vancouver Island.

For my week-long camping trip (in a decked boat) in similar places, I was inspired to buy my equipment and give it a shot.

I'm just starting out and simply aspire to augment my typical camp meals with some fish, shellfish, and sea urchins. I don't really want to catch anything larger than I plan to eat for dinner and maybe cook for breakfast, in the neighborhood of 3 pounds of food for the group I'm going to be with. And although I would love to see a salmon, I don't want to catch something too large I'll end up feeding half to the gulls.

From what I've learned in the past week, the key in buying gear is understanding the capacity of the line, in pounds. This determines pretty much the rod, reel, and lures to use. Had I had the clue to ask, the kayak guide would have told me the size line to use.

So, I went to the fishing store to ask and it seemed that I really needed a larger (expensive) set-up for salt water, even for bottom fishing. The telescopic rod I looked at he was sure would break.

Looking online, I think I can put together a decent (freshwater) set-up with telescopic rod and cheap reel for about $50, then add on lures and a net. This seems a bit more than $8, but might survive a few more trips and might be more versatile if I'm not bobbing around in a boat.

My question is, is what sort of equipment do you recommend?

I'm also thinking that being a boat allows you to work with less line strength.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate getting feedback. I will check out the Sea Kayaker magazine article.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:54 PM

I've got an Okuma baitcaster that works great and a Shakespeare spincaster that is so-so. I've used the Okuma off the beaches and in the bay here in Alabama without a problem other than my casting ability at times. Both are on a 6ft, two piece ugly sticks that stores well when I'm paddling a distance. The tackle box's are definitely Plano flat boxes with resizeable bins. I just carry 2. One for lures, jigs and plastics and one for leaders and hooks.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:07 PM

One of the problems I had with Okuma reels is that no one services them in the area I live in. Shimano's are fixed/serviced everywhere which helps in maintaining them working longer. I get at least 3 full years of lot's of fishing and dunking with a yearly maintenance. Not bad for a reel less than $60.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:04 PM

Tackle snobs... as you were, nothing to see here move along.

He's fishing for food not for fun.

My experience with Okuma reels has been much like Ricks, less like Vivians, though its tough to go wrong with Shimano.

Seriously though, for a utility rod, something to stuff in a kayak etc... there are other choices, none of which will take the abuse that an ugly stik blank will take
Old 07-01-2006, 04:10 PM

Believe it or not Luna, somewhere between those $13 Wally World Specials and those $200+ Shimano's, there are a couple of other nice baitcasters
Old 06-29-2006, 02:32 PM

I lived on Okinawa, and most of those folks catch fish that we would consider bait. You have to go offshore to catch real fish. I suppose that Japanese guy is like most of the Japanese I've met who play at fishing. Those folks are a laugh, except for the commercial type guys.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:03 AM

CPP

i agree
Old 07-01-2006, 09:26 AM

Good luck.. let us know what you decided on.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:04 PM

I'm assuming you folks are talking spinning reels here. I own Shimano baitcasters and every one of them was over $200.

Check with Casper...she bought a rod/reel combo in Wally World for under $13 recently, but I don't know if it's still working or not!
Closed Thread

Tags
fishing, kayaking