Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Kayak Fishing Regional Forums > New Jersey

New Jersey Right in the middle of it all. NJ offers the best in kayak fishing diversity. Trophy saltwater fisheries compliment the unlimited freshwater potentials.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:07 PM

Default wed raritan bay report

With poor reports from UB yesterday I went straight to Leonardo. Fished mid day 10:30 - 2:00. Not a ripple on the surface accept from the bunker. Several pods were working along the edge of the restricted zone. No 30 lbs bass. Only a half a dozen bluefish runoffs that left me with just the bunker heads. Tried chunking the bunker with no luck. Ending up with 5 blues casting metal around the outside of the bunker. I'm sure at lower light conditions the results would have been much different. What started out as few tiny pods grew to several acres of bunker by the time I left.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:17 PM

Reat report and I have a little feeling your thoughts are correct. Those bunker have beenthick in there for two days now.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:18 AM

snapperjoe and myself were out of Port Monmouth yesterday and basically had the same thing happen. Bunker pods all over the place. A few half bitten bunker as we were live lining, but nothing other than that. We also tried trolling tube n worm, crystal minnow, and some other stuff. No takers.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:44 AM
Board Administrator

Do the same thing but at night or at the change into night. We saw massive pods going around the hook the other night and I know bunker are up west too.

The bass will certainly be there. Also understand that when blues are around, a bass is a bit more likely to take chunks. They dont want to work to catch fish if they can take pre made morsels falling to the bottom.

Find the direction the menhaden are moving get behind them at sunset and drop chunks to the bottom. You should find bass on that. Glad you guys found them, I may go take a look today.

Good stuff guys.

On the Water Magazine- Staff
Hobie Fishing Team
KFS W.E.T. Staff

Forsake not an old friend, for a new one does not compare with him.
Apocrypha -- Ecclesiasticus 9:10
Old 05-27-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
Do the same thing but at night or at the change into night. We saw massive pods going around the hook the other night and I know bunker are up west too.

The bass will certainly be there. Also understand that when blues are around, a bass is a bit more likely to take chunks. They dont want to work to catch fish if they can take pre made morsels falling to the bottom.

Find the direction the menhaden are moving get behind them at sunset and drop chunks to the bottom. You should find bass on that. Glad you guys found them, I may go take a look today.

Good stuff guys.
I am glad you wrote this Chris thank You.
Yesterday @ 4:45 I started catching about 10 blues on the troll (T&W)&topwaters , then as the sun got lower, I heard the slapping of bunker..I sat there just listening so I can hone in on them. Then I heard that lovely sound of a big predator bashing the bunks.. Some of them sounded like a baby whale breaching, it was wild..They were far so I chased them hard real hard, I still dont feel the speed advantage of the revo over my sport anyways..
So I snagged a bunker and live lined it on a circle hook with no hits, I never thought bout chunking casue the schools were really moving fast .. It was excitiing just trying and it was my 1st time live lining from the yak and being on the water when the sun was down..What a great night ,the sunset and moon were special..
Sidenote; i wore my drysuit since I knew I may stay out into night.. Man that was overkill, I lost a few pounds of water for sure..But I guess we still have to dress for the water temps right ??

Attachment 3017

Attachment 3018

Originally Posted by Dirtman:
Not wanting to go back to prison I refrained from punching the guy in the face.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:13 AM

This is great news! Great reports!! I am jealous.

I've been out of the loop for a while with a ruptured appendix and now the fishing is turning on and my Dr's have cleared me to get back on the water.

I'm looking at sunrise Sunday. I figured I'd chase bunker until sun up and then drift for some fluke.

Again, great report and I've got to get out with you guys ASAP. Working on my surf yak this weekend and will able to get out front is a week or so.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:16 AM
Just Me

Send a message via AIM to Pat Battle-ship

Nice reports, was their on the bunker as it got dark, still didnt find the bass staying behind the pod and dropping chunks thru the colum still found the yellow eyes in the south east . Lots of bait, bass have to be out their, just not where I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
But I guess we still have to dress for the water temps right ??
Correct, we won't put you down as arrogant while riding out the day's events

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 05-27-2010, 09:46 AM

Frank:

As for what to wear, I'd go wetsuit this time of year if you've got one. With air temps high and water temps around 60's...The dry suit is a good choice, but I'd be concerned about overheating.

When I go out on Sunday, I'll probably be wearing a dry-top and farmer-john wet-suit. That's for the bay. From what I am hearing from out front, then I'd dry suit it no matter what.

That said:

I'd be willing to hear arguments against my choices. I am always interested in other opinions on the subject of water safety. Sometimes you get too complacent with your own knowledge and that can get you in trouble.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Battle-ship View Post

Correct, we won't put you down as arrogant while riding out the day's events

"THE RIVER" !!!!

Rob, I was miserable hot , soaked thru and thru, .. I went to my buddies house nearby afterwards and he gave me clothes and told me to jump in his pool.. The pool was so cold and so was the beer , I can only imagine how cold the bay is if we went in.. So after jumping in the pool I felt good that I wore my drysuit fishing .. Saw 2 kids out on yaks , both in shorts no shirts, poles in hand chasing bunker as sun goes down..
made me feel like a paranoid old guy

Originally Posted by Dirtman:
Not wanting to go back to prison I refrained from punching the guy in the face.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
I am glad you wrote this Chris thank You.
Yesterday @ 4:45 I started catching about 10 blues on the troll (T&W)&topwaters , then as the sun got lower, I heard the slapping of bunker..I sat there just listening so I can hone in on them. Then I heard that lovely sound of a big predator bashing the bunks.. Some of them sounded like a baby whale breaching, it was wild..They were far so I chased them hard real hard, I still dont feel the speed advantage of the revo over my sport anyways..
So I snagged a bunker and live lined it on a circle hook with no hits, I never thought bout chunking casue the schools were really moving fast .. It was excitiing just trying and it was my 1st time live lining from the yak and being on the water when the sun was down..What a great night ,the sunset and moon were special..
Sidenote; i wore my drysuit since I knew I may stay out into night.. Man that was overkill, I lost a few pounds of water for sure..But I guess we still have to dress for the water temps right ??

Attachment 3017

Attachment 3018
Frank, good to hear that you got into some blues. Where did you wind up launching out of?

BTW - I shook off the skunk yesterday by racing home, swapping out my saltwater gear for freshwater and hitting the local lake. That was good for a couple LM bass. The couple cold beers that went out with me sure did help ease the tension of the RB skunk earlier

Tags
raritan, report