Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > General Kayak Fishing > Main

Main Let's talk kayak fishing. This is the place.

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 06:21 PM

Hello KFS Forum,

I just purchased a fishfinder for my kayak and needed some advice on installation. I have a Redfish 14 with front hatch access. From what I have heard, the transducer should be mounted with Goop as close to the seat as possible so my weight will keep it below the water line. Is this true and can the transducer be mounted directly into the Goop, or should I use something with the Goop? I also have a battery pack with a water proof box that I was going to mount as far forward as possible. What precautions should I use with the battery box? Should I attach the battery box to a foam base in case of water inside the hull, or should I do something else with the battery box? Any information any has would be greatly appreciated! Tight Lines!

Irish Water Dogs Fishing Team
Old 06-24-2008, 06:21 PM

Hello KFS Forum,

I just purchased a fishfinder for my kayak and needed some advice on installation. I have a Redfish 14 with front hatch access. From what I have heard, the transducer should be mounted with Goop as close to the seat as possible so my weight will keep it below the water line. Is this true and can the transducer be mounted directly into the Goop, or should I use something with the Goop? I also have a battery pack with a water proof box that I was going to mount as far forward as possible. What precautions should I use with the battery box? Should I attach the battery box to a foam base in case of water inside the hull, or should I do something else with the battery box? Any information any has would be greatly appreciated! Tight Lines!

Old 06-24-2008, 07:13 PM

Hey SnookOne,
Just got done mounting my second FF on my kayak.
(No, I don't have two on there, the old one died! )
Anyway, there's always a bit of a debate as to the very best way to mount the transducer, I used silicone on my old one and it worked great! Used silicone on the new one too, but haven't tried it yet. Sounds like the marine goop works just as good, I'm sure others that have used it will let you know. I think we all agree close to under seat is best location for the trans.

As far as the battery box, I hung a waterproof box from the underside of the deck just aft of my front hatch. I wanted to keep it off the bottom to leave room for rods or whatever.

I had a scotty rodholder base already mounted on the topside of that location, so I just used longer screws in the existing holes to bolt the box to. (did that make sense?) that way I didn't have to drill more holes in my deck!

Well, thats my story... Im sure you'll get more good advice from all the fine folks here!

Good Luck
Old 06-25-2008, 03:36 AM

I have the same exact Kayak and here is the way I did it. For the battery there is a perfect storage spot inside the front hatch directly above the foam piece that supports the seat and continues forward under the console.If you are using a 7amp battery and wrap it in a piece of foam packing material it fits nice and snug in that area under the console. For the transducer I have had only minimal problems by having the transducer maounted right in front of the foam piece that I mentioned before. In chop I see the occasional verticle line on the display. I used the pool noodle method that was gooped down and slather the transducer with silicone grease and push it into the hole in the noodle. I wanted a non permanent installation as most of the spots I fish I don't nee a fish finder and the silicone grease allows me to take the transducer out very easily.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:01 AM

Goop or silicone is fine, you don't need anything else. Take some fine sandpaper and rough up the yak and the transducer, put it in and weight it. It must be fully cured before you try and use it. Back by the seat in a flat area is the way to go.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the replies! If anyone has some pics , please let me know. I just want to ensure I mount the fish finder the right way.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:32 PM

You didn't say what kind of battery you used. Mine are AA. I'm not in saltwater, so my only concern was to keep it out of the bottom of the kayak. I bought a small plastic Plano type box, cut out a few of the dividers, drilled a slot in the end, and added some wide velcro to the box and the underside of the deck of the kayak near the front hatch. Nothing is gasketed, but it could be done if needed. The box was one of those little $3 ones they sell everywhere.

One tip I got from this site to save making a mess with the silicon transducer mount was to first glue down a patch of foam with a space for the transducer. That forms a well that you can fill with silicon and the pool stays where you put it instead of extruding out. Details are available in the DIY forum. KFS sells a pad to do that, but I had an old foam sleeping pad (like for camping) and it worked fine. It was less that 3/4" thick, but I liked knowing the silicon would stay under the transducer.

Deputy Associate-Poobah, ETKFA
(Motto - No Standards, No Rules, No Dues, No Benefits).
Closed Thread

Tags
finder, fish, installation