Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > General Kayak Fishing > Choosing a Fishing Kayak

Choosing a Fishing Kayak A most complicated, yet fun decision! We will help you find that perfect fit and drastically cut your learning curve.

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 04:47 AM

I cuurently have a Tarpon 160i but am looking for a tandem kayak to take my son fishing, and also for my wife and daugter to go out on when I'm not using it. I'm kind of torn between these two kayaks. Basically I fish Jamaica Bay, occasionally a lake. I probably won't go through the surf with the tandem or out in the open ocean, just stick to Jamaica Bay. Pretty much I expect my son to fish while I paddle him around. Any thoughts or comments on these two kayaks? Thanks.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:47 AM

I cuurently have a Tarpon 160i but am looking for a tandem kayak to take my son fishing, and also for my wife and daugter to go out on when I'm not using it. I'm kind of torn between these two kayaks. Basically I fish Jamaica Bay, occasionally a lake. I probably won't go through the surf with the tandem or out in the open ocean, just stick to Jamaica Bay. Pretty much I expect my son to fish while I paddle him around. Any thoughts or comments on these two kayaks? Thanks.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:12 AM

Malibu is wider, probably more stable. Pamlico is longer, most likely alittle faster.

Pamlico would give you more covered storage space. Malibu would be easier to get back in/on after a swim.

Personally I'd go with the Malibu just for the ease of re-entry, and the fact that I live down here in Florida.

To each his own I guess. If you can get away take the kids and demo both.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:33 AM

i have right now a pamlico 135t.

was a duo kayak and now a single kayak took the back seat out..

it is a very nice ride and very stable.

i can t say for others did not try it.

that is what i like about the pamlico 135t.you can take the back seat out..or dont have to but the front seat can go forward or backword..its not fix it one place,,not mold in to the kayak.

if you deside to use it alone..back up the seat or take it out...and i love more that one then the other duo frome wilderness...more space i find.

if you wa nt to see mine..just a little search here.you will find it.

its rigible..

joco
Old 02-06-2008, 11:07 AM

Is this in addition to the tarpon 160i or in-place of it, if it's in-place of it I wouldn't do it.
I would go with a second kayak myself infact I did, got my wife a venus 11 so if she wants to tag along she can or my daughter can ues it also. But that's just my option, did want my wife to zig when I zag and end up in the drink.

My kayak is my place to escape and if I had a tandem I would be stuck paddling a barg around when I'm out by myself fishing.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:55 AM

This would be in addition to my Tarpon. There are times I'll go out by myself, such as evenings and night. The tandem would be for the times I take the kids.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:23 PM

If you're not planning to be out in any rough stuff you'd have WAY more fun in a Native Ultimate 14.5 or 16 than any tandem kayak out there. And either one would be better for paddling solo too. Once your wife sits in one of those seats she'll love you forever!
Old 02-06-2008, 01:31 PM

I have an OK Zest TWO and it paddles great. I am currently rigging it for fishing. It is a 16 footer that paddles with more speed than the Malibu II. The front seat is also further from the back seat so when your son casts he is less likely to catch you in the lip.

http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/tan...t_two_exp.html

Good Luck. By the way my wife and I love to use the Zest. She sits and looks pretty, taking it all in, and I paddle. I don't mind doing all the work.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:38 AM

The Zest Two looks pretty big. How is the handling on the kayak?
Old 02-10-2008, 06:27 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jkurre:
The Zest Two looks pretty big. How is the handling on the kayak? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is longer by 3 feet and more narrow by 5" than the malibu Two XL. I have paddled both and there is no comparison whatsoever. The Zest is way more of a touring style tandem. It is designed for big water and going fast. I paddle it myself also. As long as I weight the bow a bit it is fine. It does get a little deep in the stern with no bow weight by myself. If the extra length is a problem with storage or transport or if you want to be able to fish it in smaller water and don't need the performance than go with the Malibu two. Otherwise the Zest two is a better performing tandem and it isn't really close.

Oh, by the way the Zest, has storage out the wazoo! If you ever want to take it camping or for a day trip you will like the extra storage.
Closed Thread

Tags
145t, malibu, pamlico