Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Kayak Fishing Regional Forums > Florida

Florida What else do you need to say? A crown jewel in recreational fisheries in the USA. Let the pioneers of kayak fishing help you explore this amazing state.

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 07:05 PM

Here's some links and a review for the latest and greatest from OK,.

http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=t...2&m=3406046014

http://www.plasticnavy.com/gallery/v...umName=prowler

-------------------------------------------------

Posted by Allen on August 16, 2003 at 12:20:23:

I just returned from the Outdoor Retailers show in Salt Lake City. This show is awesome; I was like a kid in a candy shop, not much in the way of fishing but tons of outdoor gear and kayaking stuff. This show is three times the size of the Fred Hall show, not open to the public just retailers.

The first day was at a lake for on the water demos. I had the opportunity to paddle a lot of new kayaks from several manufacturers, including Ocean Kayak, Wilderness systems, Hobie, and Emotion, and also saw the new Pro fisherman from Cobra. I spent most of my time testing the new boats by Ocean Kayak and I will give a review below. With a few comments on the other kayaks I saw or paddled

As I had been in a meeting most of the morning I arrived a little late in the afternoon for the demo. The conditions were very windy, and sloppy which was a great test for the new boats.
Of course the first kayak I had to try was the Prowler by Ocean Kayak. There was a line to try out the new boat and everyone getting off the kayak was giving it rave reviews, but being one of the only fisherman there I had other things to consider than the average paddler. First and foremost let me say this is plane and simple the best paddling sit on top kayak I have ever been on. The kayak is 15’ 4” long and 32” wide and weighs 58lbs(only three pounds more than the Pro); this kayak is fast and has rock solid stability. I consider the Scupper Pro a pretty fast kayak and the Prowler leaves it standing still. I tried the kayak into the wind, down wind, and across the wind. The Kayak tracks like and arrow but with a sweep you can turn the kayak around on a dime. Even in these sloppy conditions there was virtually no hull slap and the kayak simply glides through the water. Of course I am biased, but the deck lay out is awesome. This is truly one of the best deck layouts I have seen. The more I looked at the deck the more ways I could see to accessorize it. The person that gets the Prowler will have many choices on how to customize the kayak to their kayak fishing style. The Prowler has four flat areas for mounting rod holders, two fore and two aft. Two flat shelves in front of the foot wells perfect places for mounting your electronics. For anyone that likes the Ryno Bar on their kayak it can be easily mounted on the flat areas in front of the cockpit. The Prowler comes standard with the large Scupper hatch, which has been resized for a better fit. The tray in the center column is the perfect size to hold a Plano box and Ocean kayak has increased the size of the tankwell to accommodate larger bait tanks, there is also a separate section at the front of the tankwell sized to hold a Plano tackle box. Ocean kayak has replaced the old tank straps with bungees crisscrossing the tank well. For those of you wanting the performance of Pro but need the room of a larger kayak the Prowler is for you. We put a guy in the kayak that was 6’5” and he still had extra legroom, we then put a guy in the kayak that was 320lbs and he still had room in the seat. The bigger guys can now get a kayak that fits them without having to get a kayak that paddles like a pig. We also put a smaller woman in the kayak and she moved the kayak through the water with ease and maneuvered the kayak as if it were a much smaller boat. The Prowler is truly the perfect combination of speed and stability and in my opinion will be the ultimate fishing kayak I wouldn’t consider another kayak without trying this one first.

tight lines and tail winds

Mike

[This message was edited by PALADIN on August 29, 2003 at 11:20 PM.]

[This message was edited by PALADIN on August 30, 2003 at 04:01 PM.]

[This message was edited by PALADIN on August 30, 2003 at 04:01 PM.]

[This message was edited by PALADIN on August 30, 2003 at 04:03 PM.]

Mike
Old 08-30-2003, 01:35 PM

Man, I just GOTTA get me one & demo the heck out of it!

Paddle -like a Pro -but maybe, a Pro 'on the Prowl'? -on!

-Frank in Miami
Old 09-01-2003, 07:06 PM

I'm gonna withhold judgment, but I like the design. The final version is only 3 lb. heavier than the ProTW, yet is 6 in. longer. Lot's of usable deckspace for anything you might want to mount. Nice flat center ledge, room behind the cockpit.

Reputed to be faster than the Pro, which was already fast, yet turns as well or better, as it has more rocker. The entry is much like a Dolphin or the T-160. The Pro's have very minor slap, and this will be even better.

Don't like the position of the rear carrying handle, but they anticipate a rudder purchase.
Can't wait to try one, but I very much like the design.

Best,
Soc

aka Capn Jimbo aka Jim aka Hey you!

"Honest, it was this big!"

<center>Asked by a cute waitress: "What's that big yellow thing on top of your car?"
Me:"Compensation!"

Ft. Lauderdale Yakfishin Club!</center>

Yakfishin Forum in Paradise
http://www.ftlauderdaleyakfishingclu.../ikonboard.cgi
Old 09-02-2003, 02:36 PM

That Prowler sure looks like an all-around kayak....OK must read all the fishing chat rooms and put the free advice to good use.

I think OK should have a fishing version set up with a rudder and 3 rod holders....it would sell.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:47 PM

Video of the new Prowler!!

http://kayak4fish.com/phpBB/viewtopi...ecb97ad60af1a2

Mike

Mike
Old 09-02-2003, 07:37 PM

Nice shots! I'm a little distressed that the drifter is the same color as mine though!
Old 09-03-2003, 06:38 AM

The Extreme has one massive hatch in front of the seat....it's about time someone thought of that! All the manufacturers put big hatches on the bow but it's so hard (and unsafe) to access during a fishing trip, the space just goes to waste.

I like the BIG tankwell the Prowler has, very easy to reach by just turning around.....a feat not so easily done with the narrower Scupper Pro TW. The Drifter's TW is nice, but it won't accomadate a 120 scuba tank...a big drawback in my book.

Does anyone know what a rudder setup for the Prowler will cost?
Old 09-03-2003, 07:41 PM

I'm sure they will be in the $200 range, like most rudder systems. Personally I think the expense and cockpit mess, pedals, etc., plus the line snagging capability, stuck cables, etc., just ain't worth it.

It has been well said that tracking is 90% paddling, 10% design. The Prowler has a great rocker, super entry, and is reputed to be easy to handle and turn. Now before you leap on that adjective, remember that means that course corrections are easier!

On my Pro, and most yaks, you'll find most have a "weather helm", ie they tend to turn into the wind a bit. Actually this has it's advantages. If you have a wind from your left front (assuming you are heading toward your target), the yak will want to turn and head a bit left.

Good! This compensates for wind drift. It is EXACTLY what sailboats do when trying to hold a course, ie head into the wind to a degree.

YMMV...

Best,
Soc

aka Capn Jimbo aka Jim aka Hey you!

"Honest, it was this big!"

<center>Asked by a cute waitress: "What's that big yellow thing on top of your car?"
Me:"Compensation!"

Ft. Lauderdale Yakfishin Club!</center>

Yakfishin Forum in Paradise
http://www.ftlauderdaleyakfishingclu.../ikonboard.cgi
Old 09-04-2003, 03:57 AM

I CANNOT WAIT to give the Prowler a try.

Hope someone down here has one in stock I can rent -I don't believe a typical demo run-around would adequately indicate it's capabilities -or, more importantly, show up it's constraints or faults. Besides, a paddler really needs to spend time in a boat, possibly paddling, but in truth, also doing nothing more than just "sitting around" if need be, to obtain an informed reading of fit & comfort of the yak for the individual.

But that Prowler sure looks good. While it's 4" wider than my Old Pro, the reviews say it paddles better (either more easily or faster, depending on level of input) and that's something I really like. The deck layout looks pretty good -I like that tackle box slot, as well as the bungee setup in the TW. I just wish they'd put a front-of-seat hatch in it like the Emotion (& a few others -Cobras?) have.

I wonder if that is the "new & improved" -i.e., drier -Drifter? If it has about the same carrying capacity as the original, a whole lot of big guy paddlers and big guy kayak anglers are going to like this one, it looks like. But if it IS drier -I also wonder if they've raised the center of mass of the thing, and whether that would appreciably affect the stability.

The Emotion yakfisher looks a bit short and wide to my eye -but maybe that's OK for the "near offshore" Left Coast Yakfishers. Down here in South Florida and the Keys, I think that many of us appreciate boats that will get us to the fishing grounds a bit more easily. Because we don't have the nearby deep dropoff, we sometimes need to paddle a while to get to productive areas away from boat ramps and swimming beaches and such, and a lot of us like boats that will do it a little more easily. But it might be a good paddler... I'm not sure I like that big bulbous front hatch. There are a few cases where folks mount some equipment on a hatch, and the cirvature of the thing may prove problematic. Many strap stuff on top of flat hatches, too -and the same problem(s) probably ensure in this case as well. And the TW looks awfully shallow -I like a deeper one for two reasons -first, it "anchors" my basket and any other stuff deeper and more securely; and second, the top of the basket is lower, and makes reaching inside a little easier.

My thanks to Paladin and Ted once again. I wonder where it was that they shot the vids?

Paddle -and fish in a nice new angler-designed yakfisher -on!

-Frank in Miami Prowler
Old 09-04-2003, 04:40 AM

Hey Frank
Video was shot at annual fishing tourny at La Jolla,. CA.
And get this that Prowler was given away to the winner with the biggest single catch.
The guy who set the tourny up and runs the club down there is a huge OK fan and got them to donate.

Ohhhhhh Jim are you listening???????

Mike

Mike
Closed Thread

Tags
prowler