Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > General Kayak Fishing > Main

Main Let's talk kayak fishing. This is the place.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyRider View Post
I wouldn't wear my waders on that Jetty either. Speaking from experience and having been washed off the North Jetty in IBSP 4 times over my life I will tell you that when it happens waders are a NO NO NO. I had waders on the first time and after they tore open on the barnacles and filled with water it was either get them off or drown....

There is a reason that I wear commercial Helly's over knee high boots that are 1 size to big with heavy socks....The under layers are always poly-pro thermals and never cotton or wool(too heavy when wet). The 3 other times I kicked off the boots in one shot and the gear didn't soak up any water. I lost my korkers and basically crawled back to shore but I made it 3 times and lived to tell the story.

You can drown next to a jetty just as easily as you can drown next to your yak......

Eddy FOUR times...cheese and crackers man!!!
Slap me once slap me twice but thrice wow...you were really tempting death buddy.

Fish w/ whateva yak you like and enjoy your life...
Old 07-03-2009, 06:18 PM

Hey Shipwreck...we have harsh winters down here too!!!

Old 07-03-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna View Post
Hey Shipwreck...we have harsh winters down here too!!!

D*mn, Luna! You scare me when you post brutal pictures like that. I went running for my flannel boxers as soon as I saw it!!!

I'll probably spend the rest of the evening huddling under my fleece mosquito netting...
Old 07-03-2009, 06:57 PM
KFS Authorized Guide ~ W.E.T. Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caped Crusader View Post
Eddy FOUR times...cheese and crackers man!!!
Slap me once slap me twice but thrice wow...you were really tempting death buddy.
I learned to swim right in the surf at IBSP and to clam in the back and to surf fish out front....My dad used to put screws thru my sneakers and grind the tips down so I could fish the jetty with him when I was old enough to go on nice days.

Gettin washed off is the chance you take when it gets a little snotty out there. I have actually spent one night tied to pole at the tip waiting for the tide to drop so that the 4 and 5 ft breakers washing over the middle would go away. I was tied because by the time the tide came up all the way the tip was getting pounded with swells as well. Two us sat there for close 6 hours waiting for a window to get in.

The USCG actually bucket lifted a guy off the tip I think 2 or 3 years ago as well.

That jetty fishing community has changed and I do not enjoy being out there much anymore it has become very cutthroat and on top of it you have alot of guys deadsticking bait from the tip which makes it virtually impossible to effectively plug and/or fly fish the rocks.

NO waders though........Losing my boots is a small price to pay for my life.

KFS W.E.T Staff
PA Licensed Guide
Anthracite Outfitters

twitter.com/EddyRider
www.antoutfitters.com
www.PAkayakfishing.com
Susquehannafishing.com

"There is at least one thing worse than fighting with allies And that is to fight without them".
- Sir Winston S. Churchill
Old 07-06-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna View Post
Firedog...Tito died of hypothermia. He was a seasoned veteran kayaker and well-liked here at KFS and elsewhere. His untimely demise made everyone on the KFS forum rethink their clothing options when paddling in cold weather......
It should be noted that Tito was probably the most seasoned cold weather kayaker in the area and was wearing a full top of the line drysuit. You just can't "out equip" Mother Nature on some days.

Now that said, I think we should separate "waders" into two different categories, breathable & neoprenes. If breathables get flooded, you're essentially wearing to giant garbage bags full of water. Closed cell neoprene won't take on anywhere near the amount of water because of their built in elasticity, are inherently bouyant and even with water inside still are warm & insulating.

I don't have any problems at all wearing neoprenes fishing out of a canoe in 40 degree water, have sat in a pool for almost half an hour without a belt and not had any water entry problems. In fact the biggest difficulty I've had is that neoprenes are so bouyant my feet want to swap ends with my head if I'm not wearing a PFD.

Still waiting to hear from somebody whose had a problem wearing them?
Old 07-06-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
It should be noted that Tito was probably the most seasoned cold weather kayaker in the area and was wearing a full top of the line drysuit. You just can't "out equip" Mother Nature on some days.

Now that said, I think we should separate "waders" into two different categories, breathable & neoprenes. If breathables get flooded, you're essentially wearing to giant garbage bags full of water. Closed cell neoprene won't take on anywhere near the amount of water because of their built in elasticity, are inherently bouyant and even with water inside still are warm & insulating.

I don't have any problems at all wearing neoprenes fishing out of a canoe in 40 degree water, have sat in a pool for almost half an hour without a belt and not had any water entry problems. In fact the biggest difficulty I've had is that neoprenes are so bouyant my feet want to swap ends with my head if I'm not wearing a PFD.

Still waiting to hear from somebody whose had a problem wearing them?
I'd agree with the neoprene up to the point you have to get back into the kayak. I've had very good experience with neo in 36-40 degree water immersions, but I've never tried to self-rescue in them. The material is the best choice for cold water immersion, without a doubt, as long as the fit is snug enough.

Someday God will explain the universe to me ... while I'm waiting I'll go fishing

Tags
intended, manufaturers, secondary, stability, waders