Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Fishing Kayak Reviews > Heritage Kayaks

Heritage Kayaks Talk about the Redfish and other Heritage models here.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:59 AM

Default redfish 12

i am looking at this yak on kfs website but i would like to know how people like them are there any downfalls to this yak, how stable is it, does it need a rudder, ect...

thanks marc
Old 08-02-2009, 08:09 AM

Default redfish 12

I've had mine for three years. I find it to be very stable and a solid fishing platform. It tracks very well without a heavy side wind. I don't have a rudder and once the wind begins to blow hard from the side I find a rudder would be a great asset.
The only other draw back I find is it does have a bit of a hull slap when padding into a heavy chop.
If you can demo paddle a bunch of different kayaks before buying.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:18 AM

thanks for the feed back. i am looking to do that but i dont know where? i live in philly so the jersy shore is only 2 hours away.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:33 PM

Marcq, pm sent
Old 08-03-2009, 02:13 PM

Marcq, I have a Redfish 12' Angler. I found it at a price that I could not refuse, and considering that it came ready to fish, well...

I have no regrets with this kayak; in fact, I love it. It is very stable and quite comfortable.

It is possible to stand in this kayak--I enter and exit the kayak from a dock and have never taken a spill. I haven't pushed my luck in fishing standing up, but have done some squats to stretch my legs. Notice that I said that, in all my times out on the water, I have yet to topple.

The Redfish is extremely maneuverable, and the tracking is good, especially into the wind. I am amazed at how fast I can paddle this kayak under calm or slightly breezy conditions. I have more trouble paddling with the wind at my back in that the kayak wants to yaw. I am experimenting with weight distribution in that I think I have too much weight concentrated in the back, which would explain why the kayak would track well into the wind. A rudder would help.

Windcocking while anchored can be a problem too. I installed an anchor trolley to solve the windcocking problem--an inexpensive solution.

There are arguments for longer crafts, but the 12' is all I want to carry and load/unload. There is plenty of room on the Redfish 12', and a lot of thought has gone into every inch of this craft.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:44 PM

You can't go wrong ith a Redfish Kayak!

Irish Water Dogs Fishing Team

Tags
redfish 12