Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > General Kayak Fishing > Main

Main Let's talk kayak fishing. This is the place.

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:42 PM

We will just say that I do wear it when conditions warrant. Certainly not all the time. If on current like a river more cautious. I don't want to keep knocking on wood, but some guys are just a bit too anal.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFood View Post
That thing is worthless! Tell me how you inflate it after you get hit in the head by your kayak, knocked out, face down in the water.....you're dead. Total foolishness to think that is a good way to preserve you life in all situations....especially the ones you don't plan for.
Your so less "worthless" PFD isn't going to help you either. A Type III PFD is only rated to help a conscious, uninjured adult immersed to swim on their own, not to be the sole means of keeping one afloat or an unconscious swimmer's head out of the water.
Unlike an inflatable, that have on average twice the bouyancy of a standard PFD and inflate in such a way that they act more like a life jacket than a PFD, even if they're not rated as such.

Having more than a passing sliver of info can be useful, FYI. Most internet yakkers seem to have false expectations of their floatation aid.

Quote:
Type III - Will not turn an unconscious wearer to a face-up position. Wearer may have to tilt head back to avoid going face down.

Not intended for survival in rough water or the open sea.
https://www.savvyboater.com/s-91-us-...t-ratings.aspx
Old 05-19-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
Having more than a passing sliver of info can be useful, FYI. Most internet yakkers seem to have false expectations of their floatation aid.
Anyone that can't speak from personal experience and has to quote other internet sources sounds like they have less than a sliver of useful information to share. My knowledge not only comes from experience but also from research and testing out my equipment in real world situations. Your life is your own and YOU are responsible for it. If you live your life by what it says on the lable or what some person claims on the internet and not by your own first hand experiences or using your brain...that's on you. Inflatables are worthless if you have never tested it, are unable to inflate it, has a hole in it or if you are incapacitated. Regardless of what CLASS it happens to be or it's ability to float you with 22lbs of bouancy as compared to 18lbs. There are multiple situations that can arise that could lead to your swift demise using a manual inflate pfd. Use it, enjoy the comfort, but make sure you never go out alone or have your fellow kayaker more than a two minute paddle away.....pure foolishness to me.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:51 AM
KFS Authorized Guide ~ W.E.T. Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lconn4 View Post
It makes sense to wear one in a boat too, maybe even while having a beer at the bar, on a cruise ship...how far do you take it?

KFS W.E.T Staff
PA Licensed Guide
Anthracite Outfitters

twitter.com/EddyRider
www.antoutfitters.com
www.PAkayakfishing.com
Susquehannafishing.com

"There is at least one thing worse than fighting with allies And that is to fight without them".
- Sir Winston S. Churchill
Old 05-19-2010, 07:04 AM
Banned

I think something we can all agree on is this: be smart when you're on the water. Follow navigation rules, make sure you're as visible as possible, watch the weather while you're out, don't take unnecessary risks, and take a class or two if you are not experienced in self-rescue or need to brush up on your swimming.

Don't think, "It won't happen to me." Like the guys have said above, try out your PFD and see how much flotation it gives you. Practice self-rescue in your own PFD and onto your own boat, with the clothing you wear normally for kayak fishing.

Over and over again we see it: the people who get into trouble are those who didn't prepare and had not practiced recovery from a capsize. Like the old saying goes: It's not a matter of if, but when.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:13 AM

In my prior life I worked in a profession where body armor was a good thing to wear, lots of coworkers didn't, I did. I drive a car and wear a seatbelt, some drivers don't. I wear a PFD and believe in them. Despite laws, public awareness, general information, people make their own choices and live with the consequences or maybe not.

It doesn't affect me one way or the other. Darwin is calling. This is a ridiculous debate.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:55 AM
KFS Authorized Guide ~ W.E.T. Staff

EVERYBODY, myself included is guilty of not wearing one at some point, we all make mistakes or misjudgments. Its how we learn and evolve in the sport and kayaking in general that counts. I wear my pfd, have I always in the past, nope, but I do now.

As we have seen the sport grow and realize that what we do up here is starting to catch-on and we are much more involved in the river community and its festivals I realize that we are pioneers of the sport here in NEPA and need to set an example. Its not about my life, its about what others see and how the sport is perceived by outsiders.

Trust me for those that know my wife, you realize that I am not getting out of this that easy by drowning......

The thing about J-Bay is that regardless of when you put one on, if you launched without it, its a DQ.

KFS W.E.T Staff
PA Licensed Guide
Anthracite Outfitters

twitter.com/EddyRider
www.antoutfitters.com
www.PAkayakfishing.com
Susquehannafishing.com

"There is at least one thing worse than fighting with allies And that is to fight without them".
- Sir Winston S. Churchill
Old 05-19-2010, 08:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to FD Kev NY

IMHO "You can't fix stupid" I don't think they even make tools for it. When you hit the water use some common sense. This thread has been going on a little too long. Wear your PFD whatever it rated for is still better then NO PFD. I was an Ocean Life Guard that covered JBAY as well. I can't even count how many time i went into the water after someone (kayak,jet-ski, boater,swimmer) who was in distress without a PFD. Safe yourself wear it on the water.

Tags
issue, jamacia, tournament