Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Fishing Kayak Reviews > Native Kayaks

Native Kayaks Description - Talk about the Ultimate, Manta Ray and other Native Kayaks.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blufloyd View Post
Doesn't owner have a start and sell history?
The owner of Native and a business partner began Wilderness Systems in the 70's out of a garage. They were pioneers in crafting rotomolded boats and helped it become what it is today. When Wilderness Systems was bought by Confluence, somewhat out of his control and intentions, the owner would have stayed with them but the factory was moved out of NC to SC. His long standing passion for paddlesports led him to create Native Watercraft, bring back many of the jobs and employees lost to SC. Just the name, Legacy, should speak volumes about the intentions of the company and the fact that so many employees came back to work with and for him. I know many of you don't have the privilege of knowing what type of working environment Legacy has but it's more than just a company with people punching the clock. It's in every sense of the word family. So in total, the owner has had two companies, Wilderness and Legacy, not much of a history but in it for the long haul.
-Philip
Old 01-19-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
Ewwww. Deja Vu.
I think if we learned anything this last month, it is that the owners of companies speak up and that their customers do too.

If there are issues, ask them to speak to them. Shoot, tell them to come on here if they want.

Customers, speak up here, tell us of how things are going.

We saw how we can affect a business. Imagine if Pat and the gang put out the sos a few weeks later, he may have staved off the closing.

Be honest, good people are waiting to help.
One thing you can count on here on the KFS forums is folks speaking their minds and I appreciate open, honest questions and answers. Native, as I imagine other manufactures, do keep an eye on the forums and they are listening and taking notes. Nobody likes to see any good business or it's owner(s) fall on hard times. Unfortunately KFS and a few others have had to close shop over the last year. It's an incredibly tough and competitive business with not much room for error. These closings generally don't occur overnight but rather develop overtime. Stores that become deeper and deeper in debt can only be sustained for so long until the point of no return. I'm not specifically saying that this was the case with KFS, but even with the support of hundreds of good folks willing to help out in anyway they could would have been able to prevent this from happening. All I can say is best wishes for the personal well being and professional prosperity to those at KFS.
-Philip
Old 08-15-2010, 07:43 PM

I've known Andy Zimmerman, owner and operator of Native Kayaks for a good many years. Currently I've been helping him develop some new ideas for his line of Liquid Logic and Native Versa Boards (cooler seat and stand up leaning post). I've been to the plant a few times in the past couple months. They're in full operation and shipping product daily.

There was such a rush on the Versa Board that they got behind on production. They're catching up now.

Wait and see, the SUP board fishing market will be the future of the sport and Native will be right in the thick of it.

Tags
craft, native, water