Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Fishing Kayak Reviews > Ocean Kayaks

Ocean Kayaks Learn about Ocean Kayaks!

Old 03-27-2012, 12:19 PM
pa.native

Default is a PROWLER 11T ANGLER the right choice for me?

CORRECTION!!! Its a Prowler 11T Angler...not a Big Game

Found a OK Prowler 11T Angler with seat and paddle for $500....

but a few guys said its a hassle to get moving since its a wide yak...

Ill be using it mostly in lakes for fishing, but also in the delaware/susquehanna river and the bays/along shore in NJ.... what do you think about the OK Prowler 11T angler for those uses???
Old 03-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Biggamejay

Since your using it in a varity of areas the with may turn into an asset instead of a problem. Its 30" wide, not much wider than most. For the price it may be a good deal. Make sure you give it a good once over for cracks and deep gouges. Pay close attention to the scupper hole areas, OK is sometimes good for cracking there. I have the big game and 3 more OK Kyaks. I love them. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:14 PM

Very good deal!
Prowler T's have only been on the market just over a year, they are a 2010 Trident (original RodPod lid & Comfort plus seat), where as the 2011-12 Tridents have the ModPod lid and the Comfort Tech seat.
Speed, tracking and glide are very good for a 11 footer.
The scuppers on any rotomolded kayak are the weak point in the mold. Ocean's are not known for failure at the scuppers anymore than any other builder.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:14 PM
KFS Authorized Guide ~ W.E.T. Staff

Having been fishing Barnegate Bay Nj and the Susquehanna for most of life I think you'll be happier in a 12 to 14 kayak over an 11. Also look to buy a non-angler version because you will able to rig it to suit your needs.

Seems like your in hurry to buy whatever pops up, take a breath step back a moment and relax. Think about what exactly your going to be using it for 80% of the time. Are you really going to be running 2+hrs to the ocean that much with gas climbing in our area to over $4 a gallon?

The Delaware is right there and the Susquehanna is at least an hour or more depending on where your going.

Look for 12 to 14ft yak, if it will do what you want then your golden, if you have to pay a little more to get what you want and need then that's what you'll probably need to do.

KFS W.E.T Staff
PA Licensed Guide
Anthracite Outfitters

twitter.com/EddyRider
www.antoutfitters.com
www.PAkayakfishing.com
Susquehannafishing.com

"There is at least one thing worse than fighting with allies And that is to fight without them".
- Sir Winston S. Churchill
Old 03-27-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyRider View Post
Having been fishing Barnegate Bay Nj and the Susquehanna for most of life I think you'll be happier in a 12 to 14 kayak over an 11. Also look to buy a non-angler version because you will able to rig it to suit your needs.

Seems like your in hurry to buy whatever pops up, take a breath step back a moment and relax. Think about what exactly your going to be using it for 80% of the time. Are you really going to be running 2+hrs to the ocean that much with gas climbing in our area to over $4 a gallon?

The Delaware is right there and the Susquehanna is at least an hour or more depending on where your going.

Look for 12 to 14ft yak, if itvwill do what you want then your golden, if you have to pay a little more to get what you want and need then that's whatsoever you'll need to do.
Good advice- 13' would work perfect.
Regarding ordering a non-angler- Ocean Kayak Prowler 13, Prowler Big Game, Prowler T11/13/15, Trident 11/13/15 and Ultra 4.3 & 4.7 only come in angler packages.
The Tetra 10/12 can be found in a non-angler.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:02 AM
KFS Authorized Guide ~ W.E.T. Staff

I think he looking for used yaks or killer deals so he might be able to come up with a non-angler version out there..

KFS W.E.T Staff
PA Licensed Guide
Anthracite Outfitters

twitter.com/EddyRider
www.antoutfitters.com
www.PAkayakfishing.com
Susquehannafishing.com

"There is at least one thing worse than fighting with allies And that is to fight without them".
- Sir Winston S. Churchill
Old 03-28-2012, 08:09 AM

Dan hit the nail on the head when he mentioned to take your time. He and I have both fished a lot of the same waters. When I was on a search to find a boat for the Delaware, I tried multiple boats and the T120 ended up being my choice. The OK and Heritage kayaks were slow and the T140 was nice but not necessary unless you are running multi day trips. The T100 was also considered and would be very good for just the river, especially the northern stretches. It is too small for long trips on the river and in the bays. Like Dan and I said before, if you can find a non-angler version, great. Another option would be to buy a boat from West Marine that is basically a rebadged T120.

Tags
big game, choice, prowler