Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Kayak Fishing Regional Forums > New Jersey

New Jersey Right in the middle of it all. NJ offers the best in kayak fishing diversity. Trophy saltwater fisheries compliment the unlimited freshwater potentials.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Andy B

Default Did I leave a part out of my Abu handle swap??

This silver part was in the box with the handle and the black plastic nut cover, but it seems like an extra part?? Thanks!!

Old 04-23-2012, 06:39 PM
KFS Authorized Guide ~ W.E.T. Staff

That piece is the lock for the handle nut. See if it fits under black piece. Some larger abu's come with the silver piece and a chrome finished nut instead of the black plastic piece.

KFS W.E.T Staff
PA Licensed Guide
Anthracite Outfitters

twitter.com/EddyRider
www.antoutfitters.com
www.PAkayakfishing.com
Susquehannafishing.com

"There is at least one thing worse than fighting with allies And that is to fight without them".
- Sir Winston S. Churchill
Old 04-23-2012, 06:46 PM

Yeah I think it's just a personal preference. I just updated to a power handle on one of my 5500's and have the same extra part!
Old 04-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Andy B

It's bigger and a different shape than the cap. The screw didn't seem to be long enough with the piece either. Also, the cap itself is gnarled so it keeps the nut from moving.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:11 PM

Then it makes more sense what Dan said about being the correct part for a larger ambassadeur. I didn't even try it so I didn't know about the screw being wrong.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Andy B

Thanks guys!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:22 PM

Andy, have you used her yet? Let us know what you think after spending some time with it...
Old 04-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Andy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davezig View Post
Andy, have you used her yet? Let us know what you think after spending some time with it...
I have not but am looking forward to it.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:09 PM

Andy, there are two types of handle nuts, one is a regular nut that holds the handle in place (black plastic cap covers thoses) and the chromed cap nut that uses the chromed retention plate. The general usage: saltwater models come with the chromed cap and the "freshwater" models come with the black plastic cap w/nut. I've converted all my Abu round reels to chromed nut caps. They are available at Grumpys in Seaside or online (castawaylakes.com) if you want to use those cap nuts.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:25 AM
Andy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFood View Post
Andy, there are two types of handle nuts, one is a regular nut that holds the handle in place (black plastic cap covers thoses) and the chromed cap nut that uses the chromed retention plate. The general usage: saltwater models come with the chromed cap and the "freshwater" models come with the black plastic cap w/nut. I've converted all my Abu round reels to chromed nut caps. They are available at Grumpys in Seaside or online (castawaylakes.com) if you want to use those cap nuts.
The day after I ordered the handle, I saw them at Grumpys. If only I knew I was going to be there. Thanks for the info. I'll probably stick with what I have until it stops working.

Tags
handle, leave, part