Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Kayak Fishing Regional Forums > New Jersey

New Jersey Right in the middle of it all. NJ offers the best in kayak fishing diversity. Trophy saltwater fisheries compliment the unlimited freshwater potentials.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:55 PM
W.E.T. Staff

Default Report 4/22 After the rain

It was an adventure tackling the wind today. I had the itch to go out under any conditions after the banner day on Friday. Although the weather was not in my favor I still ventured out. While launching I wrapped my prop in a sufcasters line of which I didn't see. I thought it simply broke, but understood the first mile out I was wrong. Even though there was a little bit of chop my sebile shad swam true as the rod was was forced forward and drifted back while the kayak pushed forward at 5mph. It's a lot of work swimming the plug this way, but the erratic slashing action of the sebile drives these fish crazy. There was 100" of line out which put me around 15' deep. The first fish banged the lure at around a mile and a half out, although I didn't mark fish or bait. There were no bunker visable, no birds diving, no sign of anything but numerous waves.
Attachment 4594
As my kayak slowed I knew something was wrong with my prop, so I lifted the motor and popped in my mirage drive, no biggie. Soon I was well beyond the 2 mile landmarks and a bit too far in these windy conditions, the kayak spun around and still the rod pumped the sebile left to right with erratic dives. The second fish came as a roller hit me from the side, it was surprising being hit in the face with a full wave, only laughter errupted as the rod bent and drag went out. Being tossed around like a top and fighting a fish isn't pretty, but it sure beats staying home. This fish was 28" and full of life, on the game clip he went and back out 100" the sebile swam.
Attachment 4595
It was around the three hour mark that I decided to call it quits and head back in. It was a long way back in the wind which was coming head on. The PA is normally a very dry ride, today was an exception to that rule(ha!), it was a wet ride from the get-go. It took about 45 min to get back in, but an adventure none the less.
Two fish for an insane day,Attachment 4596 no other kayakers on the water(Kross was north of me, would have like to have fished with him), no other boaters as well. The water wasn't mud stained as I may have thought, but the bait was vaccant from the area. Very few fish marked on the FF, no bait what-so-ever was marked.
Upon arriving home I took apart the prop only to find it wrapped up with braid. Attachment 4597Mr Murphy was with me a little, but catching was done none the less. Time now for painkillers and headed to work, because there's a war to fight with these fish tomorrow.
Just be careful in such conditions, go with a partner if possible and tell somebody where you headed. Although today could have been a washout, I'm glad and elated to have caught a few under such harsh conditions. Without my knowing I was just told today was a small craft advisory. Stupid me for going out. MJ

r257jediny@yahoo.com
Old 04-23-2012, 06:17 PM
W.E.T. Staff

Late pics from 4/20 thanks to Bullseye. Love these pictures.
Attachment 4598
Attachment 4599
Attachment 4600
Attachment 4601
Attachment 4602
That last pig was released because I had my bonus tag filled. Many fish caught and released that day. 4/20 will go down as an awsome day for a long time to come.

r257jediny@yahoo.com
Old 04-23-2012, 06:21 PM

Back in action!! Great job Mike and who cares who "likes" it or not!! Didn't you have the bonus you showed me??
Old 04-23-2012, 07:18 PM

Nice Mike! Surprised you had the wind from the south. It was pouring rain and coming straight out of the north when I left.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Chrisper4694

awesome job and nice pictures, congrats on that day to remember!

Tags
4 or 22, rain, report