Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > General Kayak Fishing > Main

Main Let's talk kayak fishing. This is the place.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davezig View Post
Jkay, didn't your combo break the other day??? You know you want it, just get the dang thing already..
Zig...you're friggen killing me bud. Tempting to drop an anvil on the old Eagle Cuda in the garage, but like you said, it still works and I hate to just abandon it. I could take or leave DSI, but the charts are what is really tempting me.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKay View Post
Zig...you're friggen killing me bud. Tempting to drop an anvil on the old Eagle Cuda in the garage, but like you said, it still works and I hate to just abandon it.
Damm! I was thinking of selling my Revo and including my 4 year old, still going strong, Cuda 350 in the sale....Have had my eye on an Elite 5 DSI w/chip to stick on the Prowler.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFood View Post
Damm! I was thinking of selling my Revo and including my 4 year old, still going strong, Cuda 350 in the sale....Have had my eye on an Elite 5 DSI w/chip to stick on the Prowler.
Rob, just a heads-up, but take a look around at the reviews of the Elite 5. There are more and more reports rolling in about being very difficult to see in the sunlight. I don't have that problem at all with the Cuda 250. I would sure hate to get a new FF and then find out I can't even see the graph. I'm probably going to take a "wait and see" on the Elite 4 Gold. Hopefully the Elite 4 does not suffer the same symptoms as the Elite 5.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:37 PM

You guys gotta talk to billdude. He just told me that he got the elite 4 gold and it showed some good depths / contours right out of the box. Then put the navionics chip in and might have even taken away some of the cool new charting / depth features. Might be fine without the gold? Did lowrance beef up their charts since they made our old cuda's? Mine is just white with a buoy every once in a while.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKay View Post
Rob, just a heads-up, but take a look around at the reviews of the Elite 5.
I was actually looking at the HDS 5, I have a buddy in the business who can get me Lowrance products for cost...nice to have friends in high places

(Hey JKay, plane flights are $650 RT right now. I won't be doing any kayak fishing in AK...just kings, silvers, coho, dollys, bows and maybe a pike, char and grayling. Flyfishing only, couple float trips and some remote hike in spots. My sister has 3 horses and knows the backcountry well. Gonna be a good time.)
Old 04-26-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFood View Post
Hey JKay, plane flights are $650 RT right now. I won't be doing any kayak fishing in AK...just kings, silvers, coho, dollys, bows and maybe a pike, char and grayling. Flyfishing only, couple float trips and some remote hike in spots. My sister has 3 horses and knows the backcountry well. Gonna be a good time.
Very nice; that's living right there.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:45 AM

I have the mark 4 dsi / gps combo unit. It works well with a nice and bright LCD screen that you can see on a bright day. The DSI image doesn't show fish as arches, but once you get used to it, it works very well. I have my transducer mounted on the outside of the yak.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:22 AM
FritoBandito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Dude View Post
Thanks for the input you guys...I'm gonna see if I can pick up one today.
Did you got the ff? If, how do you like it? I was looking at the b/w dsi but have not find any reviews yet.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:19 PM

For you guys that are still thinking about buying the Lowrance, I have a Humminbird color FF/GPS combo & I can see the screen well in bright condidions, plus I can see it well from the side.

I don't know about the newer Lowrance units, but a friend of mine has an older color Lowrance unit, & if you're not directly in front of the screen you can't see the image. Might be worth checking out. Humminbird has great customer service as well.

Re the Gold card, I bought a fish'n chip a while back, and a lady @ Navionics told me that they don't make the chip any more, but it's on the Gold card instead. Anyway, I love the chart, and many places, including my favorite place to fish (Narragansett Bay R.I.) is even mapped out in 1' increments which I like a lot.

I just hope I didn't ruin the fish'n chip when I tried to view the chart on my p.c. It didn't work, & then later I saw on the box the chip came in where it says that if you try to download it the chip gets damaged & becomes inop : (
Old 07-23-2012, 07:07 PM
RichNavionics

Actually, the fish n chip data is now only on Platinum+ charts. Now renamed Fishing Data, it is the ultimate enhancement to Platinum+ allowing saltwater anglers to quickly locate areas of interest not currently on the navigation chart. The chart content includes accurate high density contours with a high level of detail from shallow waters to offshore canyons.
Attachment 4801

Tags
elite4, gold, lowrance