Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Kayak Fishing Regional Forums > New Jersey

New Jersey Right in the middle of it all. NJ offers the best in kayak fishing diversity. Trophy saltwater fisheries compliment the unlimited freshwater potentials.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:58 PM

In some parts of the northeast that's about all they use. Here, not so much.

I just don't have the pace or personality for it. I start out slow enough but pretty soon I forget what I'm towing and the damn thing is skipping behind me like a popper.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kross57 View Post
I just don't have the pace or personality for it. I start out slow enough but pretty soon I forget what I'm towing and the damn thing is skipping behind me like a popper.
You're right. It does get more than just a little bit boring at times. The ideal troll for T&W is slooooooooow; about 1.5 mph give or take. If I keep it under 2 mph, I'm OK, but they hit better when you're going slower. Here's perspective...try going 1.5 mph in a Kaskazi or Stealth. It's a lot of work to go that slow in a glass boat; pretty monotonous too. The Hobie's are not a problem. That was not a shot. The T&W does produce though. I will say that it was a real treat having the tube as a handle to grab when landing fish after not using it for quite some time.

Urbanredneck - I use a DIY version of this.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:05 PM

i have one tube..and i have no desire to ever use it, or ever own any more. they are just far from appealing to me.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:20 PM
urbanredneck

here is a pic of the trolling sinker .. should work ok .its old lol real old !!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Andy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanredneck View Post
here is a pic of the trolling sinker .. should work ok .its old lol real old !!
I use them both, but only for the T&W. I think the keel helps keep the line twists out though.

I lost my original one in RI last year, so I made my own out of RC airplane pushrod wire. But it must not be SS because it rusted right away. But I got another from Kayak Carl so I use that now.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:48 PM
elkfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKay View Post
We did pretty well with T&W this past weekend in J-Bay. They work particularly well around any structure. In open waters like out front, I prefer a swimmer or other type of lure. Frankly, having to buy worms is also a bit of a PIA. The key I've found is to get the T&W deep. You want them just off the bottom or barely ticking the bottom. You just need to check your hook for salad a little more often. I use a keel weight unless the water is consistently less than 10' deep. Anything more than that and I'll throw on the keel weight.

Andy, if you're going to J-Bay, stop by and I'll give you a keel weight and show you how I make them. Very inexpensive and work great. The stripers don't even notice the extra jewelry on the line.
Put a bag of gulp sand worms in your pack they work just as well,jkay you left just before it to crazy on sat. Gene
Old 05-09-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkfish View Post
jkay you left just before it to crazy on sat. Gene
Gene, I heard James sing out over the radio. If I was a bit closer to you guys, I would have turned around, but I was already committed to getting off the water. There were 2 giant swirls in about 3-4 ft of water as we were coming in. That would have been a great time to be pulling a Danny plug. Seeing a bass blow up on a big plug is the best. I may be back on Friday.

One more week!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:23 AM

Default trolling sinkers

the trolling sinkers work great less stuff gets caught on them. there hard to find .
not many shops have them and not in lighter weights
Old 05-09-2012, 11:39 AM

Smile trolling sinkers

Cabellas has trolling sinkers :
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Troll...h-All+Products
Old 05-09-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKay View Post
You're right. It does get more than just a little bit boring at times. The ideal troll for T&W is slooooooooow; about 1.5 mph give or take. If I keep it under 2 mph, I'm OK, but they hit better when you're going slower. Here's perspective...try going 1.5 mph in a Kaskazi or Stealth. It's a lot of work to go that slow in a glass boat; pretty monotonous too. The Hobie's are not a problem. That was not a shot. [/IMG]
I gotta agree with JKay on the Hobie being way better for trolling something slow than the glass boats. It is much easier to maintain the slow tempo with your feet and the flippers than a paddle. Additionally you have the rod in hand so you can feel the hit or if the rig gets fouled.

Tags
happened, tandw