Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > General Kayak Fishing > Main

Main Let's talk kayak fishing. This is the place.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:35 AM
Bernie P.

Default Tempo vs SPTW?

Does anybody know if the seat depth is the same on the Tempo as the SPTW?I know the hull is supposed to be the same and there are some minor differences on the decks but I'm not sure about the seat.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:59 PM
abraves4410

The sptw uses the same mold as the old sp, so I don't believe there would be any difference in The height as both are based off the same mold. Either one should be an excellent paddling and seaworthy boat. I find my disco to be incredibly easy to handle when things start to get a little nasty on the water, and I can't see either of those two being any different.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:38 AM

The seat is almost identical.. the boat is not made from the exact same mold, the mold was modified.. the deck is for sure a little different spcifically the rear tank well will basically fit no crate. and the stern does not have the thick drilled rudder mount.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:07 AM

The Tempo is a good copy of the Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro, but it isn't made from the same mold. RTM is based in France and is not associated with Ocean Kayak or Johnson Outdoors whatsoever....besides, the Scupper Pro mold was damaged in 2008 or 09, that's the reason production ceased on one of the most popular SOT made.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:05 AM
Bernie P.

RTM seems to design in more seat height than needed.From what I've read (about 5" between the bottom of the seat and hull) both the Disco and Midway seats could easily be lowered a few inches.Doing so would greatly improve initial and secondary stability making both far better for fishing as well as their current ability to handle extreme conditions.My only real concern is with the seat height.I'd hate to buy the Tempo only to find they raised the seat on this one sacrificing the old SPTW'S fishing qualities.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:28 AM
abraves4410

Im not trying to pick a fight here, but have you paddled the disco? I've had it out in some very rough water in the ocean and through 4-5' breakers on the beach and it held up admirably. The other thing about it, is that the seat height makes it very comfortable to straddle the yak while fishing, which makes a very stable platform.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Bernie P.

Unfortunately there aren't any RTM dealers around my area that stock their SOT's.I'd be looking at over 300mi/6hr dive to try them myself and that's NOT round trip.While they get good reviews performance wise most all say both the Disco and Midway come up short on the fishing end of things.As such I'm leaning towards either a Tempo, SPTW (if I can find one used) or the Prowler.I had a SPTW and sorry to say like a dope I sold it.I also paddled the Prowler 15 back when it first came out so I know what they're like.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:31 PM
abraves4410

I remember you saying you were in ny in another post, if you want to take a ride down here(rarItan bay area) I'd let you take the disco out and fish it a bit. We can swap kayaks or something like that. I'm free most weekday mornings if you can swing it. Weekends are tough since I work retail...
Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Bernie P.

Thanks for the offer.I'll keep it in mind but cant make it right now.

Tags
sptw, tempo