Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > KFS W.E.T. Staff > Product Reviews

Product Reviews Here's where we and others will review products specific to our sport. Its the place to ask questions, post reviews, etc.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to Dirtman
Thumbs up Cobra HH425 VHF/GRMS radio review

You might have read my post a little while ago where I was looking for a VHF radio with 2 way (GRMS) channels. Well the Cobra HH425 is the only one made so I bought it.

I've only been using it for about a week but so far I'm very pleased.

PROS:

Rewind feature - This radio has a nifty little rewind button that plays back a previous transmission. I've already found this to be a really handy feature. If you didn't hear what someone said or it was a little too garbled to understand you can just replay it over.

Removable antenna - The antenna is removable and uses a standard connection so you can upgrade to a longer one or even use a base station antenna. (I have a 48" antenna mounted in my car I hook it to while on the road)

Batteries - It comes with a lithium Ion rechargeable battery but you can also use AA batteries. I don't know about you but this is a MUST HAVE feature for me. I hate having electronics that can't use standard batteries.

Tri watch - It has Tri-watch (channel 16/9/ and whatever channel you choose) This is a pretty standard feature for alot of radios but its another must have for me.

Submersible - It's JIS-7 waterproof rated so its kayak worthy.

Rugged - It's got a really beefy aluminum housing and though its a little heavy it really just has that indestructible feel to it. Even the buttons press with a very firm solid feel. I actually dropped it in my driveway within 10 seconds of opening the package and it didn't even get a scratch.

Scan - This radio has the best scan feature I've ever used. On the GRMS channels it not only scans for an operating channel but will stop and scan the privacy codes as well. I always forget what privacy code my group is using so this is a great feature for dummies like me. The VHF scanner can be set to skip certain channels so your not scanning useless stuff like the ship to bridge channel etc.

Reception - The GRMS side of this radio out performs any 2 way radio I've ever used. It has more range and power than my Midland GXT1000VP4's which were my standard 2 ways. The VHF side is also good, sound quality and power are both impressive.

CONS:

Doesn't float - This would be the perfect radio if it floated. I had to attach a cork ball to the wrist lanyard for safety sake.

Price - It's a little on the higher price side of other basic handheld VHF radios (around $150) but no other radio has GRMS channels...

Automatic low power - I hate this feature, it automatically drops the power level to 1 watt when your battery is low. To me this is a safety hazard, what if I'm trying to call in a mayday with my last bit of battery and I can't get through because I'm stuck on low power?

Well that's it... I'll update after beating the crap out of it for a while.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:35 PM

Default Cobra HH425

Yes it does not float, so I tied a pool float to the radio. When driving along the shore I'll listen to the boats for fish reports.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Andygeekboy

Thanks for posting this review, I'm working myself up to getting offshore for the first time and this seems like a 'must have'
Old 09-08-2012, 03:36 PM
rubone47

I just ordered a new cobra radio its the HH 475. The reason i order it is because it has bluetooth. I have been told it works great and Im hoping it does (https://www.cobra.com/detail/hh475-f...technology.cfm) I order it from Cabelas for 130 plus free shipping if you use their card
Old 09-08-2012, 03:53 PM
rubone47

I just ordered the cobra HH475 IT FLOATS and has bluetooth I really didnt need another radio but the bluetooth is a big plus for me

Tags
cobra, hh425, vhf or grms