Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > General Kayak Fishing > Main

Main Let's talk kayak fishing. This is the place.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:12 PM
universal exports

Default question on kayak's with a rudder

so I am considering a rudder, but I am unsure as to what it will actually do,

the reason I would want one is when fishing my local river, (small, no rapids)
I am thinking it would help with keeping the yak straight or pointed the way I want to point while floating (not paddling) down stream, and help keep me off the banks.

will a rudder do this?

next question, how does a rudder work when just drifting down stream? I understand if I were under power i.e. going faster than the water, the water hitting the front side of the rudder will turn the boat, however considering physics, if you were just drifting down stream, the water would be flowing down stream slightly faster than the Yak, so the water hitting the back part of the rudder would turn the yak, right?

I am asking because this will determine which way I run my rudder lines, if I need to cross them or not, I would prefer to push on the foot that is on the side of the direction I want to go, make sense?

thanks in advance
Old 04-24-2012, 12:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to Dirtman

Yes, a rudder will improve your tracking (keep your yak moving straighter) if your rudder is centered. Generally though you'll be constantly making small adjustments with your feet. Eventually it becomes second nature and you don't even notice your doing it but the end result is, you stay in the direction you want without needing to use your paddle. You'll get more power/speed while paddling and track straighter with or without paddling.

Secondly, rudders work great for drifting in streams/rivers. You don't need to cross your lines or anything like that, good thought but your just overthinking. Right foot, right turn. I fish in streams and rivers all the time and having a rudder in a slow current is awesome. I fish the Delaware river all the time and often drift for over a mile without ever touching my paddle. Even when I want to stop I can usually just use the rudder to move onto a bank.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:30 AM

You're thinking is correct. A rudder only works when the water is moving past it. And if the water is moving stern to front, the rudder works backwards.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:17 AM
we3jeepers

Don't question it just do it!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:23 PM
universal exports

thanks for the replies, this will be my 1st modification (I will fabricate one for my yak) I really dont like the idea of constantly putting down your poll to grab the paddle and make adjustments.

Tags
kayak, question, rudder