Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > General Kayak Fishing > Main

Main Let's talk kayak fishing. This is the place.

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 05:58 PM

These are the most frustrating fish I have ever fished for.
I just can't seem to hook them. I have thrown everything! Flies, Deadly Dick, tins, rubber, teasers, the goshdarn kithchen sink

Today was the worst. I fished from an inlet jetty with albies busting all around me for 3 hours and couldn't hook a one. 2 weeks ago I was into them for a few hours on 2 separate days.

Even with some advice I got from Stan for the flyrod, I couldn't catch bubkiss.

Now some might say it is the fisherman. I hope not.

Some might say they are worth the challenge. Um, I am starting to doubt that.

I guess I will have to keep trying and wait for that 1 in a million that might commit suicide on the end of my line.

Who knows?

Just had to get this off my chest. Anyone feel the way I do??

Please share your frustrations so I can mope with ya.

Tom

On a side note. I ran into a guy today(Rich) who has been kayak fishing for more than 30yrs.
He had no idea how popular the sport has become. Of course, I told him about KFS. Just cool to meet him.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:02 AM

Well I know frustration, yesterday I was off Breezy on friends boat and the Albies were all over I casted into them all day and only managed one fish (big one about 9 pounds), the tough part is my friend had about 8. He was using a crease fly on a floater and that seemed to be the ticket-he would get this thing gurgling on the surface and they would explode on it. Everythime I fish for them I learn something new.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:07 AM

Joe I thought you guys were in Baja ?

JoeV
Old 10-08-2004, 06:09 AM

Use a small epoxy fly behind a deadly dick or castmaster.Works well.Reel it as fast as you can.

JoeV
Old 10-08-2004, 06:47 AM

I will concur with the other posts. When albies are finicky, as they often are, feeding on micro bait. I use a 1/4oz megabait jig or deadly dick with a half/half or deceiver tied to the rear on #4 wire or 14# fluro. Crease flys or yozuri poppers work well too. They nail it.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:23 AM

In the Fly Fishing Board read my post on the BIG WHITE FLY......sometimes it pays to go the other way. Also dead drifting is a killer way to take albies!
Old 10-08-2004, 08:20 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Some might say they are worth the challenge. Um, I am starting to doubt that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Wait until you hook into 1 I think your thoughts will completly change.

Joey were you using a floro tippet? You can still make a fly popper pop even with an intermediate line. There's a little trick to doing it but it can be done very easily.
NYS Licensed Guide #4542
http://kayakerstan.tripod.com
Old 10-08-2004, 10:44 AM

Don't the Albie's -- like the Fall Run stripers come in chasing the herring run? I'd try something blue.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:36 PM

Here are my thoughts for THIS YEAR'S albie fishing off my boat...First off, I have caught more albies this year then in the past 3 combined.
1. Throwing metal has not been the way to go. I have seen guys using it all day and not hooking a thing while I banged fish after fish on soft plastics. White has been the best color.
2. Biggest problem trying to catch one on the fly is that a lot of people can not cast. They false cast and false cast and false cast while the fish are boiling all around them and then they lay out a 30ft cast at most. You need to be able to make quick, fairly accurate casts. Fly selection has been either small crease flies on floating lines or 2" epoxies on clear intermediates....that's it. Someone mentioned blue over white. Forget that.The fish are on bay anchovies now, so you need to match that.
3. Another big factor is how and where they are feeding. Drifting a rip line is usually much more productive then when the fish are roaming in open water. In the rip the bait is tumbling, the fish are aggressive and easier to catch. In the open water, especially if it's really calm, they are picky and move around really, really fast. You almost have no shot at these fish, unless you get lucky and they end up balling up bait near you. I always like fishing for them in open water when the wind is honking out of the NW and you have some chop on the water.
Hope this helps. I love catching these fish and will be out again next week looking for more.

Tommy
Old 10-08-2004, 02:00 PM

I know I'll sing a different tune once I catch one. Got to go back and research fly patterns and other fishing techniques.
It has been 24 hours since they irritated me. I thing I'm better now.

Tom

Tags
albies, hate