Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Fishing Kayak Reviews > Ocean Kayaks

Ocean Kayaks Learn about Ocean Kayaks!

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 08:05 AM

Went out on Saturday 12 june at deer creek which is about 50 miles north of Los Angeles. The roadside parking is on a cliff but there are stairs down to the beach. I could see a couple of kayak fishermen out in the kelp. Pretty much windless but the swell was a hard shorebreak 2-4 ft with somewhat bigger ones coming in regularly.
I was not feeling positive about getting out as I havent been in surf with the prowler before. I waded out holding the bow and was drenched by waves for about 5 minutes waiting for an opportune time and was lucky to hit it right getting out without incident.
Just paddled around down to county line visiting with fisherman and enjoying the day.
On the way back in after a couple of hours, the wind was just starting to pick up and the swell seemed to be breaking harder but who knows. I waiting a long time before going in watching the swells. Again I was fortunate nothing big got me but a small wave rolled me right on the shore. Later when the two kayak fishermen came in I was impressed as 1 of them nailed a 3 footer and surfed it in nicely, leaning into the wave and being landed on the sand. I think they both had scramblers. They told me they had rockfish and shark bites.

Carry the boat back up the stairs was not fun, I really need to try rigging up a carrying strap going through the scupper holes.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:05 AM

you will be amazed how much better your will get in launching the surf-and coming in. The only way to go is wheels...that strap thing is ok but with the wheels you are set up with your gear and you just wheel it to the water
Closed Thread

Tags
initial, prowler, surf