Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Fishing Kayak Reviews > Ocean Kayaks

Ocean Kayaks Learn about Ocean Kayaks!

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 07:08 PM

Though it's not designed for the task, I took my Malibu 2 as a test into some Class 2 & 3 whitewater this past weekend. I was pleased and disappointed both. I was pleased with it's ability to almost skip over swells and standing waves. I was disappointed with it's deep draw causing me to hang up on river ledges that other recreation 'yaks glided over with ease. Handling was a dream, though ferrying through eddy currents caused some interesting results.

I did install thigh straps, and would have been a swimmer instead of a paddler several times without them. Things were a bit wet, but not so bad as I expected. Things were a lot wetter before I took the scupper plugs out rather than after.

It needs to have some decent rod holders that can allow the rods to be at a low angle. The Surf to Summit seat is nice, but I don't like having the rods stick up high like that when I need to take the boat under tree limbs and other obstructions.

The most impressive performance from the boat was in a serious rooster-tail flowing over a large rock on the side of a large chute. I completely blew the line on the rapid and took the boat right up the side of the rooster-tail but was still able to recover - when the recovery area was a series of three or four 4'standing waves. Just bumping that rooster-tail with their own tail was enough to instantly flip other boaters. Those molded in skegs are nice for tracking, but act as a lever for the water push against in that sort of water. In another stretch that had a series of larger standing waves, the boat went up over them rather than piercing through the base. It gave a heck of a roller coaster ride, but much more controlled than having rushing water 360deg.

Definitely not a creek boat though. Bigger water, fine. Shallow water, not good.

- Big D
"Come follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." Mark 1:17
Old 06-26-2004, 06:00 PM

D, I was most impressed with the way that beast of a boat handled Bull Falls and Whitehorse. Your first run was neat. On the second at Bull I fully expected you to flip the thing when you went right over the rooster tail.

I didn't know you had any grounding problems on the ledges though. Funny cause you lost your big. Wonder how the boat would have handled with another paddler in the front.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:00 AM

Whenever you want to give that a try, Pete, you just let me know. We can take her down to my in-laws place in Fairview Beach and see what the stripers and LM have to say about it.

I did use the front seat to ferry Terry back to her boat after her unintentional swim. It did impressively well for the short distance especially considering that I was paddling with a busted paddle in those wicked current seams, but it was definitely nose heavy with me in the solo seat and her in the front tandem seat.

I'm down about 5 or 8 more pounds from then, too. A flat 220 now. Started at 260 last November, 241 when I started this particular diet in May. 210 was the original goal, but looking at myself at 220, I clearly have more than 10 pounds to lose. You can bet when I hit 210, there'll be pizza and beer involved in the celebration - and no freaking salad either!

I'm pretty stoked about the weight loss because now those little squirt boats can handle my weight! Might be looking for an 8' or 9' creeker soon.

- Big D
"Come follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." Mark 1:17
Closed Thread

Tags
malibu, whitewater