Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > General Kayak Fishing > Choosing a Fishing Kayak

Choosing a Fishing Kayak A most complicated, yet fun decision! We will help you find that perfect fit and drastically cut your learning curve.

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 04:32 PM

Very bad weather along Tx/La. Gulf coast today so looking for post responses for a yak comparison: For stability: If a prowler were a 1 and a FND were a 10, where would the drifter fit? For speed/glide: If the prowler were a 1 and the FND were a 10, were would the drifter be. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:05 PM

I give the Drifter a 10 also as far as stability. 34in wide.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:15 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

The Drifter I would rate as a 10 when it comes to stability. You can stand on this kayak in calm conditions. But the Drifter is faster than the FnD and there's no comparison when it comes to glide.The FnD stops dead in the water when you stop paddling. Yet the Drifter has great glide for such a wide kayak.
NYS Licensed Guide #4542
http://kayakerstan.tripod.com
Old 05-03-2004, 09:52 AM

I've heard that the 04 drifter is dryer and faster than the old one. Did they make any hull changes?
Old 05-05-2004, 03:40 AM

This is not a accurate assessment. There is a lot more to saftey then stability and the Prowler is stable. I would much rather be in a kayak like a Prowler then a Drifter in rough conditions like they had for the Extreme Edge Tourney. Simply having a rudder is a big plus and a kayak that will handle really rough, choppy water better.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:14 AM

JonS: I agree on the issues of safety being broader than just stability. I was really trying to get a feel if the new drifter possessed a balance between speed and stabliity and that its characteristics put in about midway in that regard. In so far as the storm,NO KAYAK DID WELL from the reports I got. This did not to me mean that some don't handle rough conditions better than others, just that this storm was beyond the limits of a huge variety of kayak designs and all levels of paddling skills.Prowlers, FND,T160,140,120,Malibu extremes, custom kevlar designs all flew through the air, dumped paddlers and were abandoned equally. The post question remains: Does the new drifter design have noticably more stability than the prowler and noticably more speed/glide than the FND?
Old 05-05-2004, 09:54 AM

I'm really glad to hear good news about the OK Drifter, 'cause we just ordered two of 'em. Yeah, the wife fishes also. Matter of fact, she's outfished me a couple of times. Just made me proud that she thought enough of me to marry me. Tip to all you single guys out there: go to tackle shops to meet women. Then you KNOW she will at least understand when you plan the family vacation around fishing.

Wajdi
Closed Thread

Tags
comparisons, kayak