Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > General Kayak Fishing > Main

Main Let's talk kayak fishing. This is the place.

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 04:49 PM

Spoke to the Lawrence GPS rep and asked him about his recommendation for a bare bones GPS that would keep me out of trouble his reply "H2O model is the way to go"
Old 02-25-2007, 06:09 PM

Don't believe him. If you are within a hundred feet of the shore it just might show you are in the water, or vice versa. It might be accurate as to where you are, just not when you look at the map.

It has very limited streets, does not show marina's and a lot of other stuff. It takes a couple hundred bucks of software to update the stuff they used for maps which is public domain stuff.

I have heard but not seen that there is a new version 7 of their software which may make it worthwhile to have. I couldn't wait and take a chance so the one I bought was returned about 3 rs after I got it.

It does pick up your location even inside a home, or under trees, but like I said, the map and your actual location most likely will not jive.

My recommendation is to get aomething else and one that floats.

BTW, I upgraded my FF since it would actually show me where I am on the water.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:57 PM

My Ifinder seems to work for what I need it for, the maps do make it better but for under 200 buck there isn't another GPS like it. Rollcast
Old 02-26-2007, 09:09 AM

By "keep me out of trouble" do you mean "point me back to the put-in if it's dark and I can't see enough of the shoreline"? In that case all you need is a bottom-of-the-line model, a ziplock bag, and a spare set of batteries. And something to keep you from dropping it overboard. Any of them will show you a straight line to a waypoint.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:48 PM

Garmin GPSmap 76 is a chart plotter type, has all the primary roads in the country with services listed at each major intersection. It will take Americas BlueChart (marine charts) and will interface to your computer and comes with all the cables to do so.

Use it in the car or boat or walking. A set of batteries (2 each AA size) will last 14 to 16 hours. It has a back lit LCD screen. It is water proof (JIS8 - good to 3 meters for 1/2 hour) and it floats!!

I use one on my kayak, use it as a backup on my Wellcraft, and in the pickup truck or SUV while traveling. It can store up to 500 way points and is extremely user friendly.

Best part is that it only cost $199 at Boater's World or Bass Pro and Garmin's customer service is surpassed by none.

In the attached picture it is mounted just below the Scotty rod holder. Oh yeah, accuracy is generally about +/- 10 feet.

More civilians were killed on 9/11/01 than were military personnel killed at Pearl Harbor in 1941.

Web site: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepzl9i/

Tarpon 140
Tarpon
Old 02-27-2007, 06:46 PM

I'm looking at GPSs too. My question is (not trying to hyjack the thread, but it may be useful to us all) is can you download map data onto it? I see all this data online with waypoints, and coordinates, but how do I get that onto my garmin. How much data can the thing store in is limited 8 or 24 mb?

Forgive me if its a rookie question.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:31 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chode2235:
I'm looking at GPSs too. My question is can you download map data onto it? ... how do I get that onto my garmin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both questions depend on the model. Your way-bottom-end units cannot download map data or stored waypoints. You only have to get one step up off the bottom end before you get some kind of expansion capability. From there, it's a question of "how" and "how much". You've got three choices of "how" that I'm aware of -- serial cable, USB cable, and a card or chip -- in increasing order of cost, speed, and ease-of-use.

I'll have to let someone else talk about "how much". I'm still trying to wrap my brain around whether I "need" more than just "point-me-back-to-the-ramp" or whether everything else is a "want". But $199 for a GPS76 is way, way tempting.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:42 PM

Also, I was looking online today and noticed Cabelas has a sale on a lot of its Lowrance electronics, including its iFinder H20. Only $124.00

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te... 1404_feature1

Its almost too good to pass up.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:29 AM

Just stay away from the GO2. I returned 3 of them and gave up. Bought a Garmin and had to replace it under warranty. It started showing moisture inside when I took it to 8000'. I have bad luck with GPS's and the Garmin was not cheap.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:22 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kfsrmn:
It started showing moisture inside when I took it to 8000'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Flying or diving........

More civilians were killed on 9/11/01 than were military personnel killed at Pearl Harbor in 1941.

Web site: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepzl9i/

Tarpon 140
Tarpon
Closed Thread

Tags
trouble