Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > General Kayak Fishing > Main

Main Let's talk kayak fishing. This is the place.

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 10:19 PM

My new Malibu eXel is due monday and I thought I would give it a good wax or whatever is best treatment for protection against uv and dirt.
Any suggestions on a product? I know it makes it even more slipery to handle, but I wear those cheap workgloves with those sticky things and they grip very well........
Old 08-09-2003, 02:38 AM

303 Protectant. That's what its made for. We have it if you can't find it.

baja55@optonline.net
Old 08-09-2003, 05:24 AM

303 is the stuff, don't forget to tell us all about that eX. We like pictures to cliff, I am sure you are getting anxious now
Old 08-09-2003, 05:43 AM

Yes on the 303.
It does not last very long once you put the boat in the water but it stays good while the boat is not in use.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:19 AM

I use armorall like stuff in the green bottle. 303 seems to do fine as well. Remember that anywhere you put it is going to as slippery as heck and you want to move and grab things so apply judisciously. Easy to slip on that stuff.

Anecdote...everyone gather round...it was a dark and stormy night....ooops wrong anecdote.
We had friends in Cleveland that we used to do wednesday evening sailboat races on his boat. My father and I would crew, he was captain, afterall it was his boat

Anyway, he was very proud of his boat and would spend lots of time primping and preening his vessel. So one evening we're out sailing and doing a beat to the next marker when I am having the damndest time staying in my seat and walking the deck to do sail changes. Long story short, we made him beach the boat almost immediately and proceded to take hands full of sand and rub down the deck and seats. You see he was so enthusiastic that he waxed and polished the decks and cockpit of the boat. It was like sailing while walking on ice.

Ok, everyone off to their bunks. Tomorrow night counselor Scott will tell you about the red head that turned out not to be a natural red head

Yak, Yak, Yak...is that all I do?

Derelict by Desire, Yankee by Geography
Old 08-09-2003, 06:23 AM

PS, one of the easiest things you can do for hull protection, is to keep it out of the sun when stored. A few hours of sun exposure while in use will not appreciatively shorten it's life. However sitting in the elements with thte sun beating down will. Even a simple lean-to over the yak or a loosely applied tarp will do the job. S

Old 08-09-2003, 06:36 AM

Scot,

I'll bet you are a fan of the movie "Indian Summer"? Your red head story reminded me of the comments about Ida in the movie.

In case you do not recall the move, Indian Summer is about a group of adults returning to a summer camp they frequented as kids. The guys continue to pull childish pranks on the same guy years later, etc.

Good movie for these rainy days.

Rich
Old 08-09-2003, 08:24 AM

I'll have to get it rich. My all time Summer cmp movie was Meatballs, as I was working at a camp when it came out. S

Old 08-09-2003, 09:12 AM

I've had a WW yak(Dagger) that I've left outside for the past 3 years and it has absolutely no ill effects to it other than a haven for spiders and earwigs!Never put any 303 on this boat!
In fact it is floating in my pool as I write( I practice asst rolls when I can)and has spent hundreds of pool time hours over the years teaching students/playing.
She is scratched(river running and playing in the surf)like a well used kayak should be................but otherwise shows NO signs of UV damage.
I mostly use the 303 on my Canoe(Royalex layup)and am happy with the results.The canoe is 20+ years old and needs TLC every so often
Closed Thread

Tags
hull, protection