Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > How To > Kayak Sailing

Kayak Sailing Description - Learn how to use the wind to get you to your favorite fishing hole.

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 06:22 PM

TRIAK

The ultimate sailing kayak.

http://www.triaksports.com/

Top View

Back View

Notice the wing

Notice the trough that houses the boom and mast when stowed.

Hinged seat back with a small storage behind and under.

Rear storage bulkhead.

Large rear storage area (camping gear and Ö.)

Tethered hatch cover.

Check the fiberglass finish inside. This is the 5 inch opening for the forward storage area (Small items only)

Oops some one didnít tether this hatch cover.

Notice the well for the center board between your leg area.

Center board retracted in well. Compass is included with model.

Itís equipped properly with cam/clamcleats, Harken blocks, lots of pad-eyes and all controlled from the cockpit.

This is the area the wing is mounted. When assembled its hidden but still nicely finished.

Bottom side of wing.

Disassembled unit.

I had contacted TRIAK last week and they stated an appointment would be made for me to test sail their kayak the first of next week. Itís a perfect day for sailing today (Thursday) and probably the last nice day this week per the weather man. I have not been contacted at this time so I went down and shot the photos anyway. I guess I fell through the cracks. I have Not sailed her as of this review. I hope to get the chance soon.

Inspecting the construction I was not disappointed. Made like a top of the line boat in finishing and rigging. However it was a little skimpy on lifting handles/straps. These are rental units so I took that into consideration.

She is sleek and looks to be vary fast. A comment from Sail Magazine ďSailed in any kind of a breeze the TRIAK feels like a Ferrari Ė its fast and handles well.Ē

At 95 lbs itís quite a bit to drag. If you were to drag it up on a sandy beach by the bow the hydrofoils would catch sand. I donít think I would beach this kayak on a rocky shore.

The main hull weighs 75 lbs which isnít remarkably heavy but at almost 18 feet in length it a little hard to handle. I would be using a trailer for this one.

Itís assembled quite easily without tools and in short time.

I think it can be outfitted with a modest amount of fishing gear.

Would I buy one, Iím thinking if she sails as well as she looks I will have to find more room in the garage.

I will have to reserve completing this review until I have a test sail. (Maybe several times)

See Ya on the water,
OffRoad
Old 04-13-2006, 06:22 PM

TRIAK

The ultimate sailing kayak.

http://www.triaksports.com/

Top View

Back View

Notice the wing

Notice the trough that houses the boom and mast when stowed.

Hinged seat back with a small storage behind and under.

Rear storage bulkhead.

Large rear storage area (camping gear and Ö.)

Tethered hatch cover.

Check the fiberglass finish inside. This is the 5 inch opening for the forward storage area (Small items only)

Oops some one didnít tether this hatch cover.

Notice the well for the center board between your leg area.

Center board retracted in well. Compass is included with model.

Itís equipped properly with cam/clamcleats, Harken blocks, lots of pad-eyes and all controlled from the cockpit.

This is the area the wing is mounted. When assembled its hidden but still nicely finished.

Bottom side of wing.

Disassembled unit.

I had contacted TRIAK last week and they stated an appointment would be made for me to test sail their kayak the first of next week. Itís a perfect day for sailing today (Thursday) and probably the last nice day this week per the weather man. I have not been contacted at this time so I went down and shot the photos anyway. I guess I fell through the cracks. I have Not sailed her as of this review. I hope to get the chance soon.

Inspecting the construction I was not disappointed. Made like a top of the line boat in finishing and rigging. However it was a little skimpy on lifting handles/straps. These are rental units so I took that into consideration.

She is sleek and looks to be vary fast. A comment from Sail Magazine ďSailed in any kind of a breeze the TRIAK feels like a Ferrari Ė its fast and handles well.Ē

At 95 lbs itís quite a bit to drag. If you were to drag it up on a sandy beach by the bow the hydrofoils would catch sand. I donít think I would beach this kayak on a rocky shore.

The main hull weighs 75 lbs which isnít remarkably heavy but at almost 18 feet in length it a little hard to handle. I would be using a trailer for this one.

Itís assembled quite easily without tools and in short time.

I think it can be outfitted with a modest amount of fishing gear.

Would I buy one, Iím thinking if she sails as well as she looks I will have to find more room in the garage.

I will have to reserve completing this review until I have a test sail. (Maybe several times)

See Ya on the water,
OffRoad
Old 04-13-2006, 07:08 PM

So where are the rod holders?
Old 04-13-2006, 07:16 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tomandterr@earthlink.net:
So where are the rod holders? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rod holders? Shoot, where are the rods and the rest of the fishing tackle??

Nothing venturd, Nothing gained!!
Old 04-13-2006, 08:53 PM

I was sooo busy drooling over her I didnít realize she was missing its registration. Kayak&gt;8 ft + sail = Registration in California.

See ya on the water,
OffRoad
Old 04-13-2006, 09:22 PM

The after hatch to the interior seems like a good one to store rods inside, etc. if that sail isn't in there.With the stabilizers you certainly should have enough stbility to turn your body aft, and even if off centered not have any problems.

Maybe add some rod holders aft.

Certainly doesn't look like there is room for a Hobie drive fwd, so will be interesting to see your comments on how she paddles.

Per my PM also interested in how fast the sail collapses. Think after a strike, then maybe getting sail out of the way after initial fish run.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:54 PM

Dan
Its two lines for the mainsail and one more if you have the jib up. If trolling I would only use the main or it might be too fast. One line to drop the mast and one for the boom and it would be stowed as in the picture. Snap a captive bungee and youíre done. They just collapse so I donít think if it would take more than a couple of seconds.

Will find out more when I sail her.

See ya on the water,
OffRoad
Old 04-13-2006, 11:01 PM

With a calculated maximum hull speed of 5.65 knots it would be surfing at 12+ knots per the write up at the bottom of the stability page (http://www.triaksports.com/stability/). Do you realize a 36 ft sailboat has a calculated hull speed of 8.04 knots? Can you see the expression on the face of a skipper in a 100K sailboat when a kayak passes him?

See ya on the water,
OffRoad
Old 04-13-2006, 11:53 PM

Sweeeeeeeeeeet looking yak. Rental? So why weren't you on the water?
Old 04-14-2006, 07:45 AM

I tried to take one out last week but was told I have to have special instructions before you sail her. TRIAK Sailing Certification Program. The instructor will not be back for a week.
Closed Thread

Tags
star, triak, wars