Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Fishing Kayak Reviews > Hobie Kayaks

Hobie Kayaks Learn about Hobie Kayaks!

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:46 PM

Man, I'm having a hard time understanding this thread. I NEVER have the plug in. I either sail my AI or pedal it. Sometimes, when fishing, I pedal and paddle. Do you folks have an Adventure or other Hobie with a Mirage drive opening but without a mirage drive?

Keith
Old 02-17-2008, 10:34 PM

I only know about it because I went on a 4 day kayak camping trip down the Suwanee River and my mirage drive sprocket broke the first day, so I had to paddle my Adventure for the next three days. I didn't have my plug with me but I had smooth aluminum duct tape and I taped over the drive well water tight and it made a real difference to have a smooth bottom vs. an un-plugged drive well with water gushing up with every paddle stroke.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:39 AM

There are those of us who take the yaks into various types of water and locations and must remove the mirage drives when they can't be used. One of the best lakes here is "full" of structure as the Fish and Game folks simply dammed er up and let it fill. To pedal with the mirage drive in place in this lake is just asking for torn fins or a broken drive. To paddle the hobie without a solid fitting plug is just asking for your yak to become solidly hung on a small diameter stump.

In Tina's earlier post, she was refering to a TKAA member and friend who came up with his new Revo, and fished this lake and wisely decided to pull the drive and fish with his custom designed closed cell plug in place and it worked great....
Old 02-18-2008, 09:30 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vakayakfisher:
You can also take a piece of the thick grey foam that they use for fitting the White Water kayaks and cut it the same pattern than the original plug, and just make it a little bigger to fit snug, it not only keeps the water out but seals the line at the bottom to keep any resistance off when paddling. I seen one someone made and am going to do it myself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure what type of foam you are referring to. Can you point me to where I might find some? This sounds promising.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:31 AM

Oh yea of little faith! Jim, did you mean "structure like this

or perhaps like this?

Either way, my Drives seem to have survived over 7 years of occasional "structure" and I haven't hung up a hull yet on a stump. Here's a recent trip to some local backwaters: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8744

Dduffe, I'm surprised you didn't just remove the bad fin and continue with one:

Works great and SO much easier than paddling. But then, maybe I'm just a diehard (or just too lazy). If anyone is interested in the true capabilities of a "broken" Mirage drive, here is a link: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=8240&...b9a4c82b354b5a195b34

CPP, not to worry about your better half -- she's going to love this. I finally found something useful for the drivewell plug and am happy to share it with you. I made a lovely coin purse for my wife that truly makes a fashion statement. It comes with a petit opening and a nouveau-chic handle. Guys, Mother's day is coming up soon!

Old 02-18-2008, 11:05 AM

RR - You are one clever guy. I did have the need to develop some expertise in the one-fin-pedaling method. That's one way to rock your yak.

You are going to have to PM me your cell number in case of Mirage Emergency.(Or in case I need a new coin purse.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:46 PM

Hi Terri and Happy Birthday! You know I'll be delighted to repair your Mirage Drive or make you a Hobierre coin purse anytime.

From what I hear, if you show up with one at any of the finer restaurants, the Maitre D' will automatically seat you a window table!
Old 02-18-2008, 02:34 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by roadrunner:
Hi Terri and Happy Birthday! ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you been slumming on the Florida Forum again?
Old 02-18-2008, 03:30 PM

I'm not sure what type of foam you are referring to. Can you point me to where I might find some? This sounds promising.[/quote]

Hi the foam I am talking about is the 4 inch grey closed cell foam that the white water boaters use for the fitting of their kayaks to snug them in. you can purchase it from any kayak store I think.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:06 AM

Here's the structure I was refering to, Fish and Game simply dammed up the lake and let'er fill, and then the trees slowly rotted at the water line, leaving the stumps just below the surface. We see (and hear... ) stinkpots all the time tooling along and then run up on the larger diamter stumps and come OUT of the water. The ones WE have to worry about in yaks are the 1-1/2 to 2" diameter ones that will slip right up into the scuppers on your yak, our glide right up the line of your hull and then, ooops, over you go.

With the Mirage drive in place you would be tooling along all safe and happy, until you came to a SUDDEN stop. The water is the color of TEA and so is the substructure.... hah.

I use my Native here, Tina uses her OK Venus, and we leave the Adventures for Sandy River or the Ocean... but our TKAA buddy was certain his mirage drive would work fine until he got there, walked out on the dock and had a good luck around and put in the plug. Better safe than sorry.

Good fishing though.. our other buddy scored big that day, half a dozen nice bass and a boatload of other fish... but then he could fish a road side puddle and hook up. Don't cha hate those guys?

Tags
drive, mirage, plug