Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Kayak Fishing Regional Forums > Louisiana (Cajun Country)

Louisiana (Cajun Country) Kayak Fishing in Louisiana

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 10:59 PM

I saw this Ocean Kayak "Speck" at Academy Sports in Harahan last night.
I wasn't able to find it on Ocean Kayaks web site but after searching on the internet I found a blog and pics on the Texas Kayak Fishing site.

It's said to be the same as the Scrambler XT Angler, but the "Speck" version is hunter green.

Does anyone own one of these?

Old 02-16-2006, 10:59 PM

I saw this Ocean Kayak "Speck" at Academy Sports in Harahan last night.
I wasn't able to find it on Ocean Kayaks web site but after searching on the internet I found a blog and pics on the Texas Kayak Fishing site.

It's said to be the same as the Scrambler XT Angler, but the "Speck" version is hunter green.

Does anyone own one of these?

Old 02-16-2006, 11:03 PM

Another view.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:07 PM

Tankwell:

Old 02-16-2006, 11:23 PM

I didn't take the pics, just borrowed them.

As you can see from the price tag, it's a bargain hunter's dream. No not me, but someone who doesn't know if they would like a kayak because they haven't been out in a kayak before. Just want to know if it's comfortable and a good entry level kayak.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:19 AM

Looks like alot of Kayak for the money, as long as you dont plan on covering alot of water.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:32 AM

Here is a link w/ the specs for the Scrabler XL

http://www.oceankayak.com/scramxl_sellsheet.html

*** ACTUALLY - I think this is the correct boat ... the scrambler XT ???

Try this link:

http://www.oceankayak.com/xtangler_sellsheet.html
Old 02-17-2006, 07:10 AM

PSAUCIER,
I rented an Ocean kayak while stationed in Jacksonville a couple month back. It's the Kayak that got me hooked on kayak fishing. A couple of things to think about that I found: 1) Storage was good but not the greatest. The forward "dry" hatch wasn't really that dry.
2) The one I rented had two straps with buckles over the top which was a real snag hazard trying to fly fish.
3) It was alittle on the heavy side, as current and wind picked up it got real tiresome after a day of paddling.
4) Scuppers worked fairly well but I did not have anything to compare it to since it was the first time out.
5) I'm a fairly big guy, 6ft and 230lbs. The stability was good, was able to access the forward hatch with alittle bit of skoot and boogie from the seat.
6) I just baught my first ride, a Hobie Quest. I did alot of looking around using what I did not like about the Ocean Kayak when I picked out the Quest. The other choice was the Heritage Redfisher which you can find some great deals on right now (KFS). It's a smoother ride than the O/K for just alittle bit more money. Hope this helps!
Reds Hunter
Old 02-17-2006, 11:04 AM

Reds Hunter,
Thanks for the feedback.
My first yak was a 9.6ft Heritage angler. Just something to get me into freshwater sloughs and ponds. My next yak will most probably be a Heritage redfish from KFS.
I'm trying to get a buddy of mine into the sport. We're around the same size, 6ft @ 250-260lbs.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:36 PM

PSaucier,

I am bigger than you, and went with the Malibu Extreme because it was touted as "the best big man kayak" by KFS, and well, I have not been disappointed.

It's more stable than I could have ever imagined, has a nice tank well in the back, a HUGE forward hatch, and a nice dry hatch right in front of the seat.

While there's no way it weighs 57 lbs like they say in the specs, it's manageable to load by one person, and well, being a big man in a big man kayak, if I couldn't move it myself, then I'd just be a big girl.

You're more than welcome to paddle around in it a bit if you'd like to try it out.

Bighead

Tags
academy, speck, sports