Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Kayak Fishing Regional Forums > Louisiana (Cajun Country)

Louisiana (Cajun Country) Kayak Fishing in Louisiana

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 03:25 PM

I met up with my friend Donald and we made the trip down to Buras this morning. It was the first time he had fished the Buras area. He likes to fly fish, but didn't bring the devil stick because it was a little too windy in the morning. He regretted it later. We started fishing along the outside of the marsh at around 0930. The water was really low and I didn't see much bait working. I did manage to hook, catch and release one nice red as we were working our way down, but it was the only hit either of had at that point. We reached the big canal with the canes and I got out to stretch my legs on the bank (this is a good spot for when nature calls too because it has a nice shell slope to stop and get out). Donald continued down the canal. I fished from the bank for about 30 minutes. I didn't see him come out yet so I got back in and went to go look for him. He was near the levee and he said he had gotten a few hits, but no fish yet. The wind was up enough to cause a nice ripple on the water making it tough to see any fish movement. I decided to paddle to the very end of the canal where I saw some smooth water. I anchored next to the bank and started casting parallel to the bank. Bam! 15-16 inch redfish. next cast. Bam! another 15-17 inch redfish. 2-3 casts later I had another 16-17 inch redfish. I start yelling to Donald to get over here. He makes his way over to me and for the next hour we catch about another 7-8 redfish (biggest going about 18 inches). The wind was very light being so close behind the levee and Donald wished he had brought the fly rod at this point. The spot finally dried up and we moved. I was able to catch another 2 (both 20-22")inside with one coming from casting in front of a big wake and getting inhaled immediately. It was about 2pm and we decided to head back. I got another 2 fish within 500 feet of Joshua's and Donald decided to keep one for the grill tonight. I didn't measure it but we did weigh it at 5.5 lbs. I did hook something very large that started pulling like a freight train and took me for a nice ride, but it came off after a couple of minutes. I didn't get a chance to see it, but I imagine it was a bull red or a jack. We pulled in Joshua's around 3PM. I had caught over 10 redfish and Donald had a tough day with only 2-3. I really wanted to put him on a limit. Trout remained elusive again. All fish caught today on Bayou Chub minnows with a quarter ounce jighead. I caught a few on the LSU chub, but caught most on glow glitter with a chartreuse tail. The water was pretty clear today. I'll have more pics once they get e-mailed to me.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:25 PM

I met up with my friend Donald and we made the trip down to Buras this morning. It was the first time he had fished the Buras area. He likes to fly fish, but didn't bring the devil stick because it was a little too windy in the morning. He regretted it later. We started fishing along the outside of the marsh at around 0930. The water was really low and I didn't see much bait working. I did manage to hook, catch and release one nice red as we were working our way down, but it was the only hit either of had at that point. We reached the big canal with the canes and I got out to stretch my legs on the bank (this is a good spot for when nature calls too because it has a nice shell slope to stop and get out). Donald continued down the canal. I fished from the bank for about 30 minutes. I didn't see him come out yet so I got back in and went to go look for him. He was near the levee and he said he had gotten a few hits, but no fish yet. The wind was up enough to cause a nice ripple on the water making it tough to see any fish movement. I decided to paddle to the very end of the canal where I saw some smooth water. I anchored next to the bank and started casting parallel to the bank. Bam! 15-16 inch redfish. next cast. Bam! another 15-17 inch redfish. 2-3 casts later I had another 16-17 inch redfish. I start yelling to Donald to get over here. He makes his way over to me and for the next hour we catch about another 7-8 redfish (biggest going about 18 inches). The wind was very light being so close behind the levee and Donald wished he had brought the fly rod at this point. The spot finally dried up and we moved. I was able to catch another 2 (both 20-22")inside with one coming from casting in front of a big wake and getting inhaled immediately. It was about 2pm and we decided to head back. I got another 2 fish within 500 feet of Joshua's and Donald decided to keep one for the grill tonight. I didn't measure it but we did weigh it at 5.5 lbs. I did hook something very large that started pulling like a freight train and took me for a nice ride, but it came off after a couple of minutes. I didn't get a chance to see it, but I imagine it was a bull red or a jack. We pulled in Joshua's around 3PM. I had caught over 10 redfish and Donald had a tough day with only 2-3. I really wanted to put him on a limit. Trout remained elusive again. All fish caught today on Bayou Chub minnows with a quarter ounce jighead. I caught a few on the LSU chub, but caught most on glow glitter with a chartreuse tail. The water was pretty clear today. I'll have more pics once they get e-mailed to me.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:40 PM

Mannn, sounds like you had a great day out there. You must of found a little school of them. Very sweet !!!

Old 12-29-2005, 03:52 PM

what direction was the wind blowing out of? by low water do you mean like extremely low? when dogdad and myself were out there a few days ago it was about 2 ft lower than usual and it was bone dry where i usually waylay the redfish. BTW if the this reply turns up as "hobieman" for the poster, that is a mistake. this is justin. For some reason my comp automatically logged on to his sn when i got on today and due to a weird virus i cant log off. Sorry, Adam looks like im stuck with your sn.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:37 PM

Justin, the water may have been about a foot lower than it was the day we went out there. I couldn't get into that canal I went down the day we went out there. It came up by the afternoon though.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:10 PM

CC,

One of these days we'll figure out how to catch trout too!

Glad y'all had a good day!
Old 12-29-2005, 08:03 PM

Great report CC!

I just checked a few of the other boards. Nobody has it as good as we do down here.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:10 PM

i dont think its any secret that when it comes to saltwater fishing, south louisiana is king. I'm not exactly sure why Islamarada Florida is named sportfishing capitol of the world since youre lucky if you even see a bonefish or redfish down there, but I certainly hope that our fishing down here doesnt get tooo popularized. Not trying to be a humbug or anything,.. its just a fact that once a fishing area gets overpopulated w. fishermen, the quality of fishing declines.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:55 AM

Been to Islamorada many times. It is a unique place and is mainly a staging area for fishing the ocean and the gulf. The Dolphin (not the Flipper kind) is tremendous and the opportunity to catch big fish is really good. Accessability to all types of fishing from wading to big boat is available all through that area.

Never caught any reds down there, but have caught a couple of bone fish and permit out of small boat. Really is a different type of fishing as the water and bottom is very different than what we have here in Louisiana.

As for me, I would rather fish here than there...this is my type of fishing
Old 12-30-2005, 02:17 PM

another pic

Tags
12 or 29, buras, report