Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > General Kayak Fishing > Newbies

Newbies Here's the spot for those new to kayak fishing to ask the questions that everyone asks in the beginning. So look for it here and if you don't see it ask.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:37 PM

I often find that while trolling, my lure is no where near as deep as I thought. I've heard that an aprx. formula is 10' behind the boat equals 1' under the surface (??). Attempting to learn different lures and their uses and how to get down deep. Do I add weight? Wrong lures? I'm fishing mountain lakes for bass, trout, blue gill, etc. mostly with artificial baits. How do you guys get that lure down?? (30',40'+)

In spite of my lack of experience (or perhaps due to it) I caught a nice size large mouth bass last weekend...trolling My first ride on our version of a "sleigh ride" All advice on how I might repeat this will be greatly appreciated.
Richard

Bottom line: I have very little clue
Old 09-16-2008, 05:04 PM

That all depends on your line angle, one way to estimate depth is if your line is at a 45? angle you can multiply the amount of line you have out by .7 and get a close guess. I troll slow and when I care about depth I let out a bit more line than the depth I want and then I'll paddle until my line rises up and drift until it's at a steep angle to yoyo my rig through the depths I want to fish, for instance around here mature King Salmon like to migrate at depths of 30-60ft so I let out about 80ft and paddle fairly quickly until my line is up as high as it will go then drift and sip my coffee until it's way down deep and repeat. It's perfectly ok to add a sinker I usually use a 4-8oz sinker but the lighter the line and smaller the lure you use the less weight you need to get down.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:54 AM

Lure depth is as much a function of speed as it is a function of deployed line length.

Your line in the water is NOT streight it IS curved os judging dept by entry angle is at best very iffy.

Perhaps the best way is to find hard bottom at a known depth with your depth finder, then vary speen and deployed line with various lures until you are bouncing the lure off the bottom. You will then have established at least one data point. should you opt to do this testing, please share the data with the rest of us. Inquiring minds want to know but most of us are too lazy to do this.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:45 AM

line diameter also has an effect on trolling depth.

Tags
depth, determining, trolling