Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > General Kayak Fishing > Main

Main Let's talk kayak fishing. This is the place.

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 04:53 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to bassyakker

Got bored today and got out the GPS and threw the Trident in the pond for a bit. Here is what I found.

Paddler weight - 281 pounds
Paddle - 230 cm Carlisle Simply Magic cheapo
Conditions - Wind was about 10 mph

I was able to paddle easily with no effort at all at 3.5 mph. With just some effort, I could do 4 mph. I felt as if I could do that literally all day. 5 to 5.5 mph wasn't too bad at all and I felt I could do it for a long period of time. Once, I got to 6.1 on a sprint, but then I ran out of room to paddle (small pond).

I think I need a longer paddle. I was using a very high angle approach to get the above speeds. With the lowest angle technique I could possibly use, 4 to 4.5 was tops and I was really having to think about what I was doing. When using the low angle style, I was fighting to not hit my knees and still get the blade fully submerged. I was "missing" lots of strokes and clumsily getting my paddle on the water at the beginning of each stroke. I think a longer paddle and more practice would have been better. When I slowed down, 3.5 mph was effortless using the low angle style.

I grew up on canoes and have LOTS of time using a canoe paddle. I think that may be why I get such better results using a high angle. It just feels a little more natural to me. I admittedly have pretty poor kayak paddling technique, and hope to improve on that. I am also hoping that a better, longer, lighter paddle will help me to improve my technique. Oh yeah, and lots of practice.

I finally got a little bit of gurgle out of the transducer compatible scupper hole that everybody says about the Trident. I only heard it over 5.2 to 5.4 mph.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:53 PM

Got bored today and got out the GPS and threw the Trident in the pond for a bit. Here is what I found.

Paddler weight - 281 pounds
Paddle - 230 cm Carlisle Simply Magic cheapo
Conditions - Wind was about 10 mph

I was able to paddle easily with no effort at all at 3.5 mph. With just some effort, I could do 4 mph. I felt as if I could do that literally all day. 5 to 5.5 mph wasn't too bad at all and I felt I could do it for a long period of time. Once, I got to 6.1 on a sprint, but then I ran out of room to paddle (small pond).

I think I need a longer paddle. I was using a very high angle approach to get the above speeds. With the lowest angle technique I could possibly use, 4 to 4.5 was tops and I was really having to think about what I was doing. When using the low angle style, I was fighting to not hit my knees and still get the blade fully submerged. I was "missing" lots of strokes and clumsily getting my paddle on the water at the beginning of each stroke. I think a longer paddle and more practice would have been better. When I slowed down, 3.5 mph was effortless using the low angle style.

I grew up on canoes and have LOTS of time using a canoe paddle. I think that may be why I get such better results using a high angle. It just feels a little more natural to me. I admittedly have pretty poor kayak paddling technique, and hope to improve on that. I am also hoping that a better, longer, lighter paddle will help me to improve my technique. Oh yeah, and lots of practice.

I finally got a little bit of gurgle out of the transducer compatible scupper hole that everybody says about the Trident. I only heard it over 5.2 to 5.4 mph.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:19 AM

Bass...that's great news for big guys who are looking for a good yak. I really like the looks of the Trident and am pleased that at least one American yak manufacturer is finally on the right track.

If Hobie would make a 15-16' Quest, they'd have a winner too.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:52 AM

Luna, I am liking this thing. There are things that I'd change about it, but I think it is just about what I need at my weight. It's very comfy for me, and every time I paddle it I adjust something and it seems to get a little better. I am a little bit frustrated with my paddling technique, though. The low angle style was more comfortable than the super high angle canoe method I am used to, but less efficient for me. I am in hopes I can change that as I would like to use a lower angle method. I think I would be able to paddle way longer with a lower angle approach.

At 29 inches wide, it can hardly be called a racing boat, but it's not as wide as some out there. I think that this is probably my fastest option that will handle my size. I felt that with it's dimensions, my weight, and my lack of proper technique, these numbers were adequate, but I really don't know.

A 240cm paddle sounds awfully long, but I may try one out. You do sit pretty high on this thing, which I actually like, and it's 29 inches wide. I'm thinking the 230 is just too short. What length paddle do some of you other guys with 29 and 30 inch wide boats commonly use with good results?
Old 04-29-2008, 04:22 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LunaSea:
If Hobie would make a 15-16' Quest, they'd have a winner too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the 3rd day the Kaskazi gods spoke: Let he who speaks favorably of Hobie be bannished and his words be stricken from all known texts, and his voice never to be heard again.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:53 AM

Bassyakker, you mention you weight but not your height. With the higher seat on the Trident and if you are tall you certainly will do better with a longer paddle.
I am a very low angle paddler, also on the Trident of course, at 5'10 I use a 240 Werner Kaliste crank shaft. Wouldn't trade it for the world. I jump down to a 220 when playing in the surf, because of the high angle strokes required.
http://www.Kayak4Fish.com
www.EastCapeKayakFishing.com
www.KayakFishingMovie.com
Old 04-29-2008, 10:50 AM

Thanks Jim,

I am just about your height at 5'9". Looks like a 240cm paddle might be in my future. NO surf in Oklahoma, so nothing to worry about there!
Closed Thread

Tags
findings, trident