Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Fishing Kayak Reviews > Wilderness Systems

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 09:53 PM

Could all you Tarpon 120 owners chime in on this one. I was just reading the Tarpon 120 reviews on this site. Everyone was very positive except one fellow who nearly drowned because the centre hatch allowed a lot of water to enter the hull making the yak unstable and eventually capsizing the boat. Have any of you had any experiences like that? Was it likely a faulty hatch?
Old 02-13-2007, 09:53 PM

Could all you Tarpon 120 owners chime in on this one. I was just reading the Tarpon 120 reviews on this site. Everyone was very positive except one fellow who nearly drowned because the centre hatch allowed a lot of water to enter the hull making the yak unstable and eventually capsizing the boat. Have any of you had any experiences like that? Was it likely a faulty hatch?
Old 02-14-2007, 02:29 AM

I've never had any problem with the hatch allowing water in. I don't see how that would happen unless you left the cover off.

Or perhaps if you weighed so much the hatch was nearly underwater. That would not be a fun way to fish anyway.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:49 AM

First I'm hearing of it. Never got water in mine.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:58 AM

It does not seem possible at all.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:40 AM

hey smallmouth,
I have a t120 and have never had that problem. I've had mine in the surf, dumped in the surf, in a couple of the jersey bays and had a small amount of water in the boat, after dumps but nothin' compared to your description. Sounds like the cover wasn't on correctly.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:13 AM

I have never heard of that either.....if you are that worried about it stuff 2 pool noodles down inside the hull .
Old 02-14-2007, 06:28 AM

I have a T120, and I remember that post. What I thought happened was that he was overloaded and there was water in the cockpit. He didn't have the center hatch cover on right, and water leaked into the hull.

I'm not sure if that's possible or not. At 215 lbs and with some gear, I get a little water in the footwell. But that's it.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:35 AM

I've had my T120 for almost 5 years and never had more then a cupfull of water inside. I think the other guys are right, the hatch must have been on wrong allowing the water to get in. One time I did plug the tankwell scupper holes to keep my stuff a little dryer and took a wave. This resulted a tankwell full of water and a very unstable yak, I wouldn't recommend repeating my misake. -Adam
Old 02-14-2007, 07:24 AM

If the hatch is on correctly there should not be a problem. I did have a similar problem with water but that was due to manufacturing error with the scuppers. The T120 was quickly replaced and haven't had any issue since. It is a great all around kayak.
Closed Thread

Tags
tarpon 120