Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > General Kayak Fishing > Main

Main Let's talk kayak fishing. This is the place.

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 12:32 PM

I read that Ohio makes you register a kayak, is this true? Where can I find info about this? I read some info on the ohio DNR site, but it seemed like it was written in a way they don't want you to be able to understand it. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:32 PM

I read that Ohio makes you register a kayak, is this true? Where can I find info about this? I read some info on the ohio DNR site, but it seemed like it was written in a way they don't want you to be able to understand it. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:55 PM

Mornin';

...sorry looks like you have to register the yak
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/2776/default.aspx
Old 08-01-2007, 03:20 PM

Yea I would not recommend moving to Ohio unless you have to

From what I read it seems like I would have to register and pay 20 bucks for 3 years. I guess it could be worse. It seems like it is saying a kayak under 14" doesn't have to have a title though. That part is confusing.

Thanks for that link it was very helpful.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:46 PM

Mornin';
Quote: ".....yea I would not recommend moving to Ohio unless you have to."

.... ...I left 29 yrs ago, too much snow not enough fishin'. (I ain't sittin' out in the middle of a Frozen Lake near a giant BonFire....and they think we're crazy for fishin' with gators )
Old 08-01-2007, 05:32 PM

I just researched this last year when I bought my kayak. Yes, you do have to register the kayak. I went to the ODNR in Columbus and talked to them personally. It is not too expensive, but my kayak did not let the numbers/letters stay on too well because of the textured surface.

good luck
Old 08-01-2007, 05:43 PM

Here is a link that gives you the information to registering a kayak. It is a simple process fill out the form, write a check, and mail it in. Couple days later you will have what you need to be legal.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/H_Nav1/Registration/Alternat...id/2776/Default.aspx

This is for alternative powered vessels though. The plus is its just one small sticker so no worries about the numbers peeling away. Only problem is if you put a moter of any kind on it you have to register the same as a traditional boat.

There are many complaints about the hassle but the upside if its ever stolen its registered and you may have a chance of recovering it. I have been stopped and asked for my papers about a half dozen times so they are atleast checking.

The other plus is the money goes to up keep and maintance and if you ask any of the bordering states we have some of the nicest facilities around.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:56 AM

Be sure that you have your kayak serial numbers to forward to ODNR. I spoke with those responsible to handle the paperwork and 1st they said to just bring in your bill of sale. I arrived at their office with just that and they made me turn arround and do a rubbing if embossed into the hull, or the least provide the numbers. There are an exact total numbers required and the rubbing revealed a missing number by the manufacturer or retailer that applied it. I had two to register. It required a call to both the retailer and the manufacturer on their part as I waited. Neither of us were happy at that point, but I fulfilled everything I needed to do and I wasn't going to leave without registration. Finally got it straight after an hour and one half of over the counter jousting. Point is, have everything ahead if you mail your stuff in. In fact I would also take a photo of your numbers if you don't want to lose time.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:33 PM

Illinois makes you register your YAK, and take $13 annually. You have to put the annual sticker on it, but not the 14 letter registration number. Sailboats are also exempt from having the numbers on them. Somebody figured out a way to raise a few more tax dollars.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:14 PM

I had the hull number problem with IL too. They wanted a rubbing but on the X factor it was molded in the kayak. I put the number on the form and sent a picture back. Haven't heard back yet, and really don't expect too until the lakes are frozen. Budget crisis in IL. ya know.
Hey Biker, that stickers good for 3 years.
Closed Thread

Tags
kayak, ohio, registration