Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > General Kayak Fishing > Kayak Fishing Tournament Schedule

Kayak Fishing Tournament Schedule Enter the name and location of the event in the post title and all other information in the main field.

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 05:44 AM

Hi folks, I'm considering the trek from Toronto, will probably be arriving late Thursday night.

I would like to get an idea what's their for camping facilities if anything, ie. any electricity and showers or am I dreaming?! And how about weather will I need anything special that time of year?

This will also be my first time in the salt, ..my first time sharing some fun with other yak fishers actually. So aside from yak, paddle, PFD, fishing tackle, FF, GPS and RF, are their any other mandatory items I should be bringing.

Thanks

Neil
Old 01-19-2008, 06:51 AM

Hi OntarioNeil,
Camping Facilities;
No electricity, no showers.
Mandatory items that you didn't list;
Beer.
Just look for the Wolfpack enclave, they will help you with anything(like drinking your beer)
Old 01-19-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by OntarioNeil:
...aside from yak, paddle, PFD, fishing tackle, FF, GPS and RF, are their any other mandatory items I should be bringing?
I'm drawing a blank -- what's "RF"?

Snacks and gatorade are always a good idea to have on board, as well as any clothing items you may want to accommodate changes in the weather. You probably already expect sun (waterproof sunscreen), but it might have a tendency to be more windy than you're used to, so a windbreaker might be handy.

An anchor and/or stakeout pole could help to handle water that might move more than it does inshore. Neither needs to be anything fancy.

Oh yeah -- a gripper is often a good idea -- salty fish tend to have more aggressive teeth than the freshwater species we have "down south"... This one (http://kayakfishingstuff.com/Merchan...ory_Code=tools) is well respected, and pretty affordable.

A radio is also a good idea in lots of places, but if you're gonna hook up with a group, that might not be as critical... I would suggest making sure you have "a partner" who's staying within eyesight.. if you're just tagging along with a group, it's too easy for everybody to assume that someone else has an eye on you. (As previously mentioned, beer can help with this one.) (heh heh -- just noticed the double meaning... it can help motivate someone to act as your partner, but can also help to confuse the group so nobody realizes you're missing...)
Old 01-19-2008, 10:54 AM

oh geez, beer, that's above the mandatory list, it's a given, of course I'll bring something good from up north for you guys to sample

RF ...was thinking that was an acronym for a radio, it's definitely on my list of things to bring.

I've got a gripper for the toothy pike, musky, pickerel and occasionally toothy perch that are around here, it's just a basic Berkley rated for 25 or 30lbs max.

One thing I'm concerned about, my stuff is maybe not best suited to salty conditions is their ample fresh water for rinsing stuff off at the end of the day?

Thanks

Neil
Old 01-19-2008, 11:51 AM

Aha, of course, RF! VHF, UHF, and giga-wiggles! I had not switched into my ham-radio persona, silly me for not catching that one.

I've never been to J-Bay, can't testify to the availability of rinse water. Good thinking to ask!
Old 01-19-2008, 06:36 PM

Bring your cold weather yaking [under layer dry suit] water my be 48-52f. Sun may be warm.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:12 PM

I never found a freshwater outlet there.
Flyguide brings a 5 gallon sprayer with him to rinse off his equipment after fishing.
The gripper will come in use for the Bluefish and weaks.
I'm looking forward to sampling some bevarage from North of the border!
Old 01-20-2008, 06:02 PM

What are the dates for this years event??
Old 01-22-2008, 12:46 PM

Hi OntarioNeil,
just find the above-mentioned Wolfpack, and we'll take care of you! One thing I do is bring a spray bottle of fresh water, with a drop or two of detergent to spray on critical hardware such as fish-finder, reels, etc., and as mentioned, Flyguide usually has a sprayer. There are a few places where you can re-fill the spray bottles. It's a tough camping situations, but you can be comfortable. Dress for early spring, which can mean 70+ degree days, and frosty nights. On the water, dress for cold water, period.
See you there,
Old 01-22-2008, 05:53 PM

good idea on the squirter, I was hoping their would be some sort of filling station somewhere.

How many guys will be sporting dry suits? I was hoping to be sticking with a nice set of Bare waders and a wind and waterproof shell?? Not sure a dry suit will fit the budget between now and then?

I hope they finalize the date soon, I need to book time off work and I'm hoping that nothing else conflicts.

Neil
Closed Thread

Tags
2008, camping, facilities