Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > How To > Inflatable Kayaks

Inflatable Kayaks Kayak Fishing out of Inflatable Kayaks

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 09:20 PM

Hello guys

I have not written in a long while. My fishing season was severely reduced this year to a total of two days neither of which was a kayak fishing outing. As some of you know I own a Fisherman, and I love my yak. However, one of the things that preveted me from going out this year was the fact that I had only one kayak and it weights too much.

Recently I saw a great inflatable kayak and decided to purchase it. It is a tandem 12' kayak from "Sharper Image". This kayak looks really nice and it only weights 25lbs.

Have anyone of you tried to fish from an inflatable kayak before? Do you know of someone who has? I would like some information in this area if possible.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:20 PM

Hello guys

I have not written in a long while. My fishing season was severely reduced this year to a total of two days neither of which was a kayak fishing outing. As some of you know I own a Fisherman, and I love my yak. However, one of the things that preveted me from going out this year was the fact that I had only one kayak and it weights too much.

Recently I saw a great inflatable kayak and decided to purchase it. It is a tandem 12' kayak from "Sharper Image". This kayak looks really nice and it only weights 25lbs.

Have anyone of you tried to fish from an inflatable kayak before? Do you know of someone who has? I would like some information in this area if possible.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:16 AM

Polo, great to hear from you. I figured that you were in central America or something. I tried all your #s to no avail. Give a call sometime. Welcome back.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:19 AM

Welcome back Polo, you missed a great tournament in your back yard last year. We are doing it again this year, May 14th. and we hope you can make it.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:19 AM

Now that Jon and Joey have Gave you a welcome back As for your Post i for one would not go or can't go with a inflatable Yak, My Yaking is done in areas ,salt water that have to much STUFF like Shells, Even some times Glass, sharp rosks, ConAcreat, But for Lake or Pond I would think there ok, But with out a Compressor I would stick with a plastic Yak. BillW
Old 01-01-2005, 04:17 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

If the inflatable kayak has separate air chambers I don't see why it wouldn't work. But you could only use it in sandy areas on calm windless days/nights and be very very careful when bringing any caught bluefish onto the kayak.
NYS Licensed Guide #4542
http://kayakerstan.tripod.com
Old 01-01-2005, 08:45 PM

I fished out of an inflatable for a long time, and still use them at work regularly. If you get a decent one it is no problema. Many toothy and spiny fish and a lot of hooks...zero leaks. Ours bounce off of old car bodies and get drug fully loaded over gravel bars and over land.

The downside is that they are much slower an track like drunken sailor. Upside is they are ridiculously stable, easy to transport, and easy to store.

The best budget ones are the SVX series from Sevylor. They last me about 3 seasons, and they get used (with little to no love) about 100 times a year. They last a LOT longer with a little TLC.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:49 PM

Striper in the air bag. This was our tandem SVX 2020

Old 01-01-2005, 08:52 PM

Chasing salmon at work in a SVX 100. These little boats are a gas in whitewater, but are very tricky in flatwater...lots of rocker!
Old 01-02-2005, 04:02 AM

Those sure are funny looking stripers.

Tags
inflatable, kayaks