Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Fishing Kayak Reviews > Hobie Kayaks

Hobie Kayaks Learn about Hobie Kayaks!

Old 11-04-2008, 05:12 AM

My idler cable has somehow stretched because the nut is fully threaded onto the cable, but the cable is still loose enough to slip off over the idler pulley. I have an older Mirage drive (purchased in April 2004, I think), so is part number 81212001 the part I need?

Another question: I think the nuts that secure the front chain on the Mirage drive keep backing out because the chain will jump the sprocket several times during an outing despite being tightened repeatedly. Can I fix this with new stainless steel nylock nuts, or should I replace the front chain, too?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:18 AM

Nylock nuts should be replaced after repeated adjustment. They lose their holding ability.

2004 version? Skipping? Stainless sprockets? That was an issue with stianless sprockets... part of why we changed the design. The plastic ones do not require the amount of chain tension as used on stainless sprockets.

Solid plastic pulley? uses #81211001 Idler cable (14 3/4"). The newer idler pulley is more hollow and has ribs supporting the wheel. The solid one is cone shaped towards the front.
Hobie Forums www.hobiecat.com/community
Old 11-04-2008, 01:07 PM

Thanks a million, Matt. I wanted to make sure I ordered the proper part the first time. I've had four years and several hundreds of miles with this drive in brackish water, and they've all been trouble-free.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:12 AM

My recollection of the proper assembly of Nyloc nuts when used on aircraft is to show three threads and use only once. In our non critical (?) application, if you even think the nuts are backing off your are late in replacing it/them. In my opinion if one needs replacing then replace both or all of them. They dont cost much and an ounce of prevention . ..
Old 11-05-2008, 02:32 PM

Hmmm, I had (have) the same problem with my older drive too. This is what happened to me:

The idler cable so sloppy that you can push it off the idler wheel with one finger & the drive feeling all loose when pedalling as a result.

I ordered a new idler cable. Two were listed & so my dealer got both cos we couldn't decide which one was required.

Both arrived & I tried the shorter one. It was just as loose as the original so I took it off & kept it as a spare & installed two enormous plastic spacers on the cable instead to take up the slack. Even with the nut tightened all the way up the cable is still slack.

This is not an ideal solution and I would like to understand what the 'proper' solution is so that I can use this drive with confidence. (I now have an outfitter & have been using one of its drives instead).

The 'replacement' cable I have is 70cm long.

Here are a couple of photos of the spacers and the slack still in the system (even with the nut tightened fully)

Matt can you please advise ?
Old 11-05-2008, 03:05 PM

2005 hobie and mine became loose also. Cause.....small crack in the cradle. Check for cracks that may make cables loose.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:05 PM

Rhino,

What/where's the 'cradle' ?

No cracks evident on my drive but I may not be looking where I should.

Like Ictalurus' my drive seems pretty robust & has never given any cause for concern apart from this problem with the idler cable...
Old 11-06-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
The 'replacement' cable I have is 70cm long.

Here are a couple of photos of the spacers and the slack still in the system (even with the nut tightened fully)

Matt can you please advise ?
The photo shows a recent drive, but not the latest V2, so the cable ordered should be

#81212001 (14 1/4") according to the catalog.

#81211001 (14 3/4") is for solid idler pulley / older aluminum spines.

The latest idler cable is "V2" #81203001 and is longer still, but very different. It has threads on each end.

Can you provide the over-all length of the cable?

I am asking for further detail from our engineers. I am also checking our stock to see that they are built correctly.

None of the above explains why a cable would suddenly be too long or get loose. I have a theory though. Perhaps the threaded end fitting or swedge has slipped on the cable?
Old 11-06-2008, 08:34 AM

It does appear that our replacement cables for #81212001 are about 1/4" too long on the shelf here.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:38 AM

Matt,

Thanks for all your help. I don't think my problem was a sudden development. Over the years, I noticed that I had to tighten the idler cable a little more each time I adjusted something. I took the cable off today when I went to buy more nyloc nuts. I had some trouble getting the threaded part through the hole where the swedge is, and I noticed that the cable wasn't as tightly wound as it should have been, i.e. I could see daylight through the cable with only a slight twist. I think the cable might have loosened gradually after 4 years' worth of maintenance and adjustments. Even using a vice grip, it's difficult to tighten the nut without the cable spinning.

Tags
cable, idler, question