Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > How To > Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself Here's where you get your hands dirty, so to speak. So if you like to build or customize things for the yak, this is your forum

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 05:37 PM

Okay, I've got all the bits and pieces together to set-up my anchor trolley and I've dilegently searched this and other forums for all the info I need to get it done. One problem: many of you have used a "Barrel Knot" to tie your trolley lines to the central ring or carabiner - I've seen the pics, but don't recognize the knot - it looks like a Hangman's Knot, or a Uni-Knot. The only Barrel Knot I know of is used to join two lines together (aka Blood Knot). Can someone show me how this "Barrel Knot" everyone uses is made or direct me to a website that can? Picture below of the knot I'm looking for. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:37 PM

Okay, I've got all the bits and pieces together to set-up my anchor trolley and I've dilegently searched this and other forums for all the info I need to get it done. One problem: many of you have used a "Barrel Knot" to tie your trolley lines to the central ring or carabiner - I've seen the pics, but don't recognize the knot - it looks like a Hangman's Knot, or a Uni-Knot. The only Barrel Knot I know of is used to join two lines together (aka Blood Knot). Can someone show me how this "Barrel Knot" everyone uses is made or direct me to a website that can? Picture below of the knot I'm looking for. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:12 PM

Terry,

It's a Uni...

http://www.netknots.com/html/uni.html
Old 10-16-2005, 04:01 PM

Thanks, BFM. I used the Uni to finish the trolley today. Came out nice.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:58 PM

Hi there,
A barrel knot is often used in climbing as a backup knot for something like a figure eight on a bight. It's a form of stopper knot. It's not to increase the strenght of the original knot (figure eight), it just ties the loose end out of the way. If you tie a barrel knot back onto the rope, you get something like a Uni. I use it all the time. It's easy to tie, holds extremely well, and you can change the size of the knot by increasing the number of turns. Here's a link to see pictures of the barrel knot:
http://www.indoorclimbing.com/Stopper_Knot.html
So many knots, so little time. (c:
Take care,
Steve
Old 11-04-2005, 09:30 AM

Ooops, late on seeing this one. Just for reference, when tying heavier line like for an anchor trolley, I like the scaffold knot. Similar to a uni, which I use on my fishing line.

http://www.tampabayangler.com/knots.htm
Old 11-04-2005, 10:41 AM

Good information is always useful; thanks bnz. If I find that I have to retie the trolley, I'll give the scaffold knot a try.
Closed Thread

Tags
barrel, knot