Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > General Kayak Fishing > Choosing a Fishing Kayak

Choosing a Fishing Kayak A most complicated, yet fun decision! We will help you find that perfect fit and drastically cut your learning curve.

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:33 AM

I have been fishing for freshwater trout out of rivers in TN. Now I'm headed to Destin, FLA. to try out fishing the Gulf. I was offered a used Perception Caster 11.5 (I'm female, 5'5"). It comes w/ sliding seat, Scotty rod holder light, aluminum composite blade paddle. Cost is $375.00 (Of couse I'll negotiate downward). Questions-is this craft discontinued and what does that mean for me as the owner, what was standard equipment on this craft, do you have any input for a "first timer" w/ this craft on open water...Thanks and you guys have taught me alot. Nita

My Personal Fleet:
Cobra Explorer
Islander Swifty 9.5
Mad River Explorer Canoe 16'
Old 01-22-2008, 10:33 AM

I have been fishing for freshwater trout out of rivers in TN. Now I'm headed to Destin, FLA. to try out fishing the Gulf. I was offered a used Perception Caster 11.5 (I'm female, 5'5"). It comes w/ sliding seat, Scotty rod holder light, aluminum composite blade paddle. Cost is $375.00 (Of couse I'll negotiate downward). Questions-is this craft discontinued and what does that mean for me as the owner, what was standard equipment on this craft, do you have any input for a "first timer" w/ this craft on open water...Thanks and you guys have taught me alot. Nita

My Personal Fleet:
Cobra Explorer
Islander Swifty 9.5
Old 01-22-2008, 10:42 AM

Welcome aboard

I'm thinking this is a really good price for a 12' kayak with gear..I know alotta people say they liked their casters.I know more of the folks will chime in.I know personally if I found that boat at that price close by I'd run to buy it.

AkA...General Walker

Manta Ray 14 blue
Manta ray 14 tan
Pungo 140..Shark Yellow
Old 01-22-2008, 03:43 PM

hey
i still have a 12.5 caster. i loved it when i first got it 4 years ago, (it was the only sot in the newly opened shop) but found out fairly soon that i needed more boat and got a tarpon 160i a couple of years ago. the caster was almost 900 bucks new and did not come with any free accessories.
the caster is very, very stable and is a breeze to beach comfortably. when you land, with a couple of feet of boat on land, you're only a couple of feet from land yourself.
with the longer, pointer, waaaaaay tippier (with the nose on land and the rest of the boat in the water) tarpon, with a couple of feet of boat on land, you're a couple MORE feet into deeper water when you try to get off the boat. i never considered that until it actually happened. now i just come in sideways to the shore.
the caster is SLOW to paddle. i'm 6'1", and 160 lbs and in pretty fair shape. according to my gps, i was working hard to hold 3.5mph. in the tarpon, i cruise at about 4.1mph.
i do not have any gulf-type water experience. my paddling is in a 2-mile wide, fairly slow moving river. the main channels run about 7 knots, but most of where i go has very light current. the caster got around well if i weren't in a hurry, or planning a long trip. the decision to move to the tarpon was due mostly to the desire of getting out to islands around 5 miles from my launch point.
if you have any specific questions, let me know and i'll do my best to answer them.
good luck with whatever boat you decide on.
tom
tomdiving@yahoo.com
Old 01-22-2008, 03:45 PM

hey
sorry, forgot to add that wilderness systems bought the company that made the caster to knock down some competition.
the boat was not discontinued due to defects or anything like that.
tom
Old 01-22-2008, 04:59 PM

Nita - I'd strongly recommend that you find someone to paddle along with you when you go out from Destin. It's real easy to get a whole lot farther from shore than you're used to. It also might be good to get some coaching about how to launch and land in the surf -- the surfers were out at Fort Walton when I was there around New Years.

$375 (or less) for an outfitted boat sounds like you can't go very far wrong. Don't forget to check the scuppers for hidden cracks.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:20 AM

jump on it!
Old 01-23-2008, 01:08 PM

Thanks for advice gurus-of-the-sea.

My Personal Fleet:
Cobra Explorer
Islander Swifty 9.5
Old 01-23-2008, 05:29 PM

Welcome, It's good to have another TN yak fisher aboard. Thats good advise from NC -Lefty.
Closed Thread

Tags
caster, perception, thoughts