Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Kayak Fishing Regional Forums > Louisiana (Cajun Country)

Louisiana (Cajun Country) Kayak Fishing in Louisiana

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 04:56 AM

Just when I thought I had decided on an anchor system, I kept thinking and that's where I always go wrong. I've decided that I want to use the marsh anchor (Cajun Anchor) system. I bought two clam cleats for each side of the yak. Then I THOUGHT that if I install an anchor trolley I can have the best of both worlds. I can anchor from the front and back. Additionally, I can use a cajun anchor or a regular yak anchor if I'm in deeper water.

My question is....Can I use a cajun anchor on an anchor trolley? I'm wondering if the fact that the cajun anchor is going to cause the anchor line to extend upward instead of down will cause problems with the trolley system.

What are your thoughts? 99.9% of my trips are in shallow water and only require a marsh anchor, IF I have to anchor at all. Sooooooo, I don't want to install a trolley if it won't work for a marsh anchor.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:56 AM

Just when I thought I had decided on an anchor system, I kept thinking and that's where I always go wrong. I've decided that I want to use the marsh anchor (Cajun Anchor) system. I bought two clam cleats for each side of the yak. Then I THOUGHT that if I install an anchor trolley I can have the best of both worlds. I can anchor from the front and back. Additionally, I can use a cajun anchor or a regular yak anchor if I'm in deeper water.

My question is....Can I use a cajun anchor on an anchor trolley? I'm wondering if the fact that the cajun anchor is going to cause the anchor line to extend upward instead of down will cause problems with the trolley system.

What are your thoughts? 99.9% of my trips are in shallow water and only require a marsh anchor, IF I have to anchor at all. Sooooooo, I don't want to install a trolley if it won't work for a marsh anchor.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:02 AM

would you be able to put an anchor through a scupper hole??? I hear you guys talk about the holes...
Old 11-14-2006, 05:05 AM

I use my trolley with a pvc cajun anchor. No sweat.

I think clam cleats are a problem with elevated lines.

I have a 10-12" loop of shock cord tied through the 'T' that is glued on the top of my cajun anchor. There's a clip on my trolley. I put the clip on the loop of shock cord and that's it.

BTW... a 6' cajun anchor ie perfect for Hopedale.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:07 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Notch:
would you be able to put an anchor through a scupper hole??? I hear you guys talk about the holes... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes but... when your pole is 5' and the water is 1' you end up with a pole sticking up in your face unless you're able to use one of the scupper holes in the tankwell. I carry to much stuff to have acces to my tankwell scuppers.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:52 AM

YAL, sounds great. Are you hooking your anchor line (shock cord) to the carabiner on your trolley? The one that the anchor line would normally pass through? I pretty much follow you, but you know I took the short bus to visualization class. Any pics?

Did you cap the bottom of your PVC anchor so that it doesn't collect methane marsh mud?
Old 11-14-2006, 06:42 AM

Just an ideaer if you don't mind the extra weight. You can make an adjustable length anchor with gavanized pipe and a coupling or two OR you can make a 3 foot one that can be used sorta like a spear for any reasonable depth on a soft bottom. Weld or JB weld a piece of re-bar into a piece of 1/2" galvanized, drill a hole into a cap and put an eye bolt in it, screw it on, add a bead of weld, or JB Weld and voila! You can toss it straight down and it will stick into most any reasonably soft bottom. Worried about the splash? put the tip in before you throw it down. Most of the time you are in less then 2' of water anyway. It comes up with a lil tug. I haven't made one yet because most of my fishing has been in the lake, but it should work like a dream.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:52 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chocolate Head:
Are you hooking your anchor line (shock cord) to the carabiner on your trolley?

Any pics?

Did you cap the bottom of your PVC anchor so that it doesn't collect methane marsh mud? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A: I have some other kind of little brass clip but in short... Yes.

A: Yes see attached

A: I have the top plugged with a piece of foam. It cracked me the pluck up Sunday... When I jammed it down into the mud the pvc of course got mud in it. It all compressed air in the PVC. When I took it out and put in the spare paddle holder the PVC took a big mud turd complete with audio!

Choup & Kurt have a great setup that would use the clam cleats.

Oh yea... perfect for Hopedal will be 7', not 6'.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the pics. That's what I was visualizing.

You don't give yourself much slack on that anchor line. Is that a problem when trying to set it in very shallow water?
Old 11-14-2006, 11:03 AM

Nah, usually in shallow water I use a brush clip to clip on to marsh grass or the cajun anchor.

I think I've attached a pic of the brush clip.
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor, question, trolley