Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > General Kayak Fishing > Choosing a Fishing Kayak

Choosing a Fishing Kayak A most complicated, yet fun decision! We will help you find that perfect fit and drastically cut your learning curve.

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 01:43 PM

ok so i know i have been posting bulletins about a bunch of kayaks because i have been looking 2 upgrade. at first i was skeptical about moving from a sit in (OTTER) to a SOT. i decided its a good choice and have decided im gonna get the PERCEPTION CASTER 11.5 so if anybody has one and wants to share any good facts or bad facts about it that would be great

-WOODY

-WOODY
Old 05-30-2006, 03:27 PM

I purchased a caster 12.5 last fall for my son, whom outgrew his ripper. I have fished it myself in the sweetwater local to me. I liked it. It is not the lightest boat of it's size, but well set up. I particularly like the bucket indentation in the rear tankwell. Great for a livebait fisherman, or a sucessful fishermen's fish storage, (or even an ice tub for cold ones). It paddles well with no rudder, and I love the fact it only has two scupper holes to plug. You will have fun, good luck. It is a very well made, sturdy yak, as are all perceptions.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:02 PM

the biggest knock on Perception yaks is the weight of them...

The quality of the hatches, straps, stainless steel screws and nuts are the best out there, but best of all the plastic itself!

Learn to load and unload a heavier yak and don't worry about the problems you see with a lot of the other yaks.

You'll be hard pressed to find unsatisified Perception owners.

Perception Illusion owner.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:40 PM

I picked up the 12.5 Caster two years ago for fresh water and have had no problems. It paddles well and tracks OK. But as reelydor mentioned the scupper holes in the cockpit (one) should be plugged. The one in the cargo area I left open to drain. Add two pole holders aft, one Scotty between your legs and a ff and its complete.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:25 AM

Woody,

I just picked up the 12.5 (orange) about three weeks ago. So far I love it. I am in the process of installing the rudder. I went with the 12.5 because it is already setup to install a rudder. I donít believe the 11 is. The rigging options seem to be top notch. It has molded in nuts for a Scotty mount. For 06 the Caster got rid of the water bottle and replaced it with a nice little water proof box, it also includes a standard seat. As far as weight, I have not noticed any problem carrying the yak. It seems very well balanced. Also the light blue (I believe Ocean Kayak brand) scupper plugs fit perfectly.
Closed Thread

Tags
caster, perception