Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Kayak Fishing Regional Forums > Florida

Florida What else do you need to say? A crown jewel in recreational fisheries in the USA. Let the pioneers of kayak fishing help you explore this amazing state.

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 06:57 AM

Loaded yak around 7 a.m. and decided to go fishing... twice in one week...yohoo! Headed south on I 95 with the fishing report on the radio... just as I turn it on, the guys are talking about Flamingo and how well the fish are biting, but you have to find clear water... S U R E ! 29 days of 20+ winds and I'm gonna find clear water within paddling distance of Flamingo launch.

Nothing like going fishing and having a fishing report on the radio. Next comes talk about the Keys and Islamarada... double youhoo on top of Terri's post about possible world record bonefish. Where to go, where to go? Give Lunoid (mr. up by 5 out the door by 10) a call around 8, he's not home! Try his cell phone, eureka... hear girly giggles in the background. Seems he is in another county giving a bird walk, nature talk, whatever.. definitely giving a big bowl of B.S.

With Lunoid out of the fishing picture for the morning session, I'm headed to the Keys.

It's been too long since I've been down that way and I'm all fired up. Wind still blowing but who cares, I like that green water.

Read em and Weep.

This is the bridge at Channel 2, Lower Metacumbe. I could tell you fish stories about this place for days.. Best time of year is first part of October when the mullet are migrating south. Monster tarpon, snook, jacks, grouper, to name a few. I was checking out the flow before going back to launch.

this bridge runs parallel to the vehicle bridge, all the way across. Lots of folks camp overnight on top while fishing. When the sun first comes up, the light shining through here is magical.

this is the shorline leading up to the bridge.

looking due west from shorline of previous pic.

East side of bridge looking north towards Annes Beach and launch site... too windy and current not conducive to hanging out, fishing, or taking pics on this side today... but this is the side where the fish are! I heard that one of the boaters hooked a big tarpon before I arrived and was about a half mile down current still fighting it.

another pic from the west side of bridge looking toward hwy to Key West.

This is a new launch area closer to the bridge than Annes Beach.. new parking area for only about 10 cars... this is looking south from the east side..

Well that's about it... could'nt stay on my spot without paddling full time... did'nt see much in the way of bait in the area... I did make it over to Robbies on the way back to familiarize myself on what I was looking for.

I had planned to head home but after watching the fish a while, decided to detour to West Lake for the late afternoon session.

Stopped off at FLORIDA (cough, cough) BAY OUTFITTERS, told them Lunoid sent me, and they gave me that look like someone had farted!

Then off to Flamingo and West Lake where I was thrilled to see white caps... tried to go to the east end but not enough time and yak taking on water... no pics... no fish... ALL SKUNK...maybe that's why they were giving me that look!
Old 04-01-2007, 06:57 AM

Loaded yak around 7 a.m. and decided to go fishing... twice in one week...yohoo! Headed south on I 95 with the fishing report on the radio... just as I turn it on, the guys are talking about Flamingo and how well the fish are biting, but you have to find clear water... S U R E ! 29 days of 20+ winds and I'm gonna find clear water within paddling distance of Flamingo launch.

Nothing like going fishing and having a fishing report on the radio. Next comes talk about the Keys and Islamarada... double youhoo on top of Terri's post about possible world record bonefish. Where to go, where to go? Give Lunoid (mr. up by 5 out the door by 10) a call around 8, he's not home! Try his cell phone, eureka... hear girly giggles in the background. Seems he is in another county giving a bird walk, nature talk, whatever.. definitely giving a big bowl of B.S.

With Lunoid out of the fishing picture for the morning session, I'm headed to the Keys.

It's been too long since I've been down that way and I'm all fired up. Wind still blowing but who cares, I like that green water.

Read em and Weep.

This is the bridge at Channel 2, Lower Metacumbe. I could tell you fish stories about this place for days.. Best time of year is first part of October when the mullet are migrating south. Monster tarpon, snook, jacks, grouper, to name a few. I was checking out the flow before going back to launch.

this bridge runs parallel to the vehicle bridge, all the way across. Lots of folks camp overnight on top while fishing. When the sun first comes up, the light shining through here is magical.

this is the shorline leading up to the bridge.

looking due west from shorline of previous pic.

East side of bridge looking north towards Annes Beach and launch site... too windy and current not conducive to hanging out, fishing, or taking pics on this side today... but this is the side where the fish are! I heard that one of the boaters hooked a big tarpon before I arrived and was about a half mile down current still fighting it.

another pic from the west side of bridge looking toward hwy to Key West.

This is a new launch area closer to the bridge than Annes Beach.. new parking area for only about 10 cars... this is looking south from the east side..

Well that's about it... could'nt stay on my spot without paddling full time... did'nt see much in the way of bait in the area... I did make it over to Robbies on the way back to familiarize myself on what I was looking for.

I had planned to head home but after watching the fish a while, decided to detour to West Lake for the late afternoon session.

Stopped off at FLORIDA (cough, cough) BAY OUTFITTERS, told them Lunoid sent me, and they gave me that look like someone had farted!

Then off to Flamingo and West Lake where I was thrilled to see white caps... tried to go to the east end but not enough time and yak taking on water... no pics... no fish... ALL SKUNK...maybe that's why they were giving me that look!
Old 04-01-2007, 08:13 AM

Closed Thread

Tags
channel, lower, metacumbe