Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Kayak Fishing Regional Forums > Florida

Florida What else do you need to say? A crown jewel in recreational fisheries in the USA. Let the pioneers of kayak fishing help you explore this amazing state.

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:22 AM

Johnson Sprites are OK for treble rigs, I have caught many a fish on them, but I prefer a jeweled or faceted spoon for maximum flash. However, when the salad is thick, you will need to switch over to a weedless spoon. The weedless spoons by Mann or the Flats Intruder spoons are always my go to redfish-in-the-weeds spoons.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:48 AM

I have several version of red rip-offs that I bought at the same time, including the stupid one with a spinner in front. Before trying to fish with them I put one in the water and trailed it next to the kayak to watch the action, nearly no action, no flash, and there is no way that stupid rattle is working. Worthless.

Just my opinion.

Joe
Old 11-28-2007, 05:55 PM

Exude Dart in Gold metal flake is just as flashy as a spoon with much more action and MUCH more weedless..
It also has a natural scent, and since Reds hunt by smell 90% of the time, ...well,..let's just say, when all else fails, this lure ROCKS!!
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 11-28-2007, 06:26 PM

I have some darts that work well but haven't seen the gold flakes yet. I'll have to pick up a pack next time I'm at the store.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:20 AM

Don't know why I haven't been successful with Darts. I got excited and bought three different packages last year and proceeded to fish them about a dozen times already with nary a strike. Must not be holding my mouth right.

Sorry to aid and abet the people hijacking Pyro's thread, but I guess we are kinda, sorta providing experiences for what may baits may be effective on only "slightly" spooked redfish. My rule of thumb is: If you see the redfish slowly move off, by all means take your shot (even if you are only blind casting toward your target's last known heading). However, if you see the smoke puff his tail kicked up as he departed, it's game over for that particular fish. He may have an interested buddy in the vicinity (thus another opportunity for you), but that particular fish won't eat for awhile (in my experience).

I would also recommend throwing something that you can deadstick for a couple minutes. Retrieving anything (even a live shrimp) directly at a redfish is an almost sure recipe for spooked and "gone-baby-gone" redfish.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:54 AM

The best thing about spoons is that they cast a mile. The worst thing about spoons is that they sound like bullets when they hit the water and fish react as if they are being shot at.

In shallow water I'd rather throw something light that makes as little splash as possible. The less splash the closer you can throw it to your target without scaring it... but not so light that I would have to use a flyrod!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:54 AM

Hijack away, I'm enjoying all the talk about other lures and baits I may not have tried. Until this past year, I had almost nothing but topwater stuff in my tackle box. After getting a kayak, I realized the need for an arsenal of different tools. Before, I would have just started up the motor and went somewhere where topwater was working I'm just getting into the spoons and plastics, so this is a very helpful hijack

It was also a nice confirmation on the red rippers. It opened up a few slots in my tackle box for something new.

-Jason
Old 11-30-2007, 08:50 AM

Pyro - I have a couple of the "N" spoons that I no longer waste valuable tackle box real estate on (you can have them, free of charge, if we ever meet up in T'ville).

Lconn - Not disputing your comment about the noisy entry of spoons, in fact I agree. Unless the goal is blind casting for max distance, I typically sidearm or flat cast my spoons. IMO, a water entry that makes at least one skip before submerging approximates a mullet or menhaden and doesn't tend to spook fish as much. I believe it works because at least twice in recent memory, I must have skipped a spoon almost directly into a fish's mouth since the hardware was hammered before it even had a chance to sink.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:04 AM

I am an on again off again proponent of the splash theory. I really like my topwaters, Super spooks in particular. Probably half of the reds I've caught on super spooks have been within one twitch of the splash down, and you know those 7/8oz bruisers make a splash.

Then again, if I'm not getting hits while blind casting, I change the landing. I side cast a long one, too hard for where I want to hit, then I close the bail on it just before it's where I want it. This stops it in mid air, and it only falls from a short distance, making minimal splash. Sometimes I use that technique on a long bomb too, but you have to start winding before it hits the water. That actually makes it look like it was heading in your direction in the first place.

Seems to work for me. I picked up some johnson sprites last night. Couldn't find the flats intruder at Wally world. I'll have to hit a real tackle store I guess.

Thanks again for all the tips.

-Jason
Old 11-30-2007, 09:11 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by weird al:
Pyro - I have a couple of the "N" spoons that I no longer waste valuable tackle box real estate on (you can have them, free of charge, if we ever meet up in T'ville).
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just emptied my tackle boxes of red rippers. I put them on the Christmas tree as colorful ornaments I was surprised to see just how many of the useless things I actually had!

Tags
trick