Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > General Kayak Fishing > Newbies

Newbies Here's the spot for those new to kayak fishing to ask the questions that everyone asks in the beginning. So look for it here and if you don't see it ask.

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 01:39 PM

Being new to kayaking and about to purchase one for fishing, I got to thinking about a SOT 14 footer. It all sounded good until I thought about the fact that I will be wearing waders as I intend to do some wading also.
My concern is the fact that the yak COULD flip and send me swimming with the waders on...not a pleasant thought. Any thought on this? Has it happened to anyone? Will the PFD be enough to float you if you have a waist belt around the waders?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks...........
Old 10-14-2005, 01:39 PM

Being new to kayaking and about to purchase one for fishing, I got to thinking about a SOT 14 footer. It all sounded good until I thought about the fact that I will be wearing waders as I intend to do some wading also.
My concern is the fact that the yak COULD flip and send me swimming with the waders on...not a pleasant thought. Any thought on this? Has it happened to anyone? Will the PFD be enough to float you if you have a waist belt around the waders?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks...........
Old 10-14-2005, 03:58 PM

I belong to a fly fishing club , here in N.J. For a monthly meeting , I spoke on fishing from a kayak . My final part of my presentation was a video that I did on the water to show what happens when you roll the yak and how to do a self rescue . It was 85 deg. out and I didn't need waders but I wore them just to show what happens . Well, it turns out that even with the wader belt , the water still entered the waders fast ( although if it was cold water and I was wearing a drytop , it would not have had much water in but that's not what I wanted to show ) Well , the air exiting was soooo fast that it created a suction that caused my waders to vaccuum to my body and very little water got in . No , you don't float with your feet trying to flip you over . No, your waders don't fill with water and drag you under . No, the water in the waders is not so great that you cannot re-enter your yak . After I got to shore , I had difficulty getting out of the waders for the vaccuum seal and when I did , there was about 8-10 oz. of water in them . The worst fear that I would have had would be very cold water that even in small amounts might cause hypothermia . Just for a reference , I not only flipped the yak , stayed in the water for several minutes to talk on video , but also on a lark , re-rolled the yak a second time before paddling to shore to show the results . All-in-all , at least 5-8 minutes in the water . I also did this without a pfd ( yeah , i know , stupid ) just to show what happens if you got in a situation on shore where you got washed off a bar ( surf fishing ) and wasn't wearing a pfd .
Old 10-14-2005, 04:10 PM

Hi ibd2high and welcome,
Like Art R said, my results were similar; check out a thread on this page that Jaycook1 started titled "Dry Tops" for my experiment. You should get a good handle on this.
Good luck!
Old 10-15-2005, 06:14 AM

Art &Artie,
Thanks for the good info. Makes me feel a little better. I'll do a little experimenting on my own too (safely tho) before I make a trip across a big lake or bay.
I'm reading and gathering information on all aspects of kayaking and intend to take a basics course that should help me do it RIGHT.
Thanks again......
Old 10-15-2005, 06:34 AM

You're gonna' love it! I'm a long-time fisherman, and it's expanded my horizons exponentially. It's enabled me to get to places I couldn't get by wading, or that were cut off from previous access by foot. It's very stealthy, too. I just throw it on top of my car, and if the situation calls for me to get out to the fish, I'm good to go. I've had an assortment of boats in my life, and this is absolutely the most versatile of all in some ways.
Keep us posted.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:16 AM

Artie,
Will do. Right now I am leaning towards a 2006 Tarpon 120 w/rudder and fishing package. Got a T140 quoted but I think I'll go back and get the T120 quoted also. Already have a line on a Yakima rack that my Son was using but he upgraded to a bigger unit.
I really like the Redfish tho. Damn!!! Decisions, decisions.....I'll get thru it all somehow.
Thanks again guys...all help is appreciated.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:12 AM

The only time I put waders on is when I read a fishing report from lconn4 and Bnznet!!!

IKFA Member #107

Life's a beach.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:46 AM

Hi ibd2high,

I'm new to yaking also and have concerns about cold weather yakking. I was pointed to Cold Weather Clothing as a place to start. It's a great article on protective clothing needed year round.

And, KFS has a good stuff to choose from.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:46 AM

Val:
Thanks for pointing out the cold weather article. We're new to yakking and are facing the cold weather situation here in New England. Last trip, we both wore neoprene waders and were warm...too warm. I have some breathable waders, but felt I had more mobility in the neoprenes. Still trying to figure out what top would be best (dry top, semi-dry top, etc.?).

Hope you are enjoying the outback.

Tags
thoughts, waders, wearing