Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Fishing Kayak Reviews > Malibu Kayaks

Malibu Kayaks Learn about Malibu Kayaks.

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 05:57 AM

I am wondering if anyone can compare the two of these, either from having paddled both, or reading the specs.
I live in Pensacola (Gulf Coast) and mainly fish the bays. I would like it for medium sized freshwater lakes as well. I am 6'0 and 210 lbs.
I have a 1 year old, so the child seat thing sounds neat, but how good is it for a small child?
I have a Tarpon 120, and it gets me a little wet. I will probably give this to my wife.
I typically don't carry a lot of gear, but would like the option to if I want to camp from it.
I see some used Extremes being sold with some gear for around $700 so economically it would be cheaper than a new X-Factor. My first color choice is Granite, although Blue or Red would do. ( I am looking at the one JonS has posted, but don't have the $ yet. Either way I would buy used from this site or from KFS, because you guys are INTO IT!
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Mark
Old 11-10-2004, 05:57 AM

I am wondering if anyone can compare the two of these, either from having paddled both, or reading the specs.
I live in Pensacola (Gulf Coast) and mainly fish the bays. I would like it for medium sized freshwater lakes as well. I am 6'0 and 210 lbs.
I have a 1 year old, so the child seat thing sounds neat, but how good is it for a small child?
I have a Tarpon 120, and it gets me a little wet. I will probably give this to my wife.
I typically don't carry a lot of gear, but would like the option to if I want to camp from it.
I see some used Extremes being sold with some gear for around $700 so economically it would be cheaper than a new X-Factor. My first color choice is Granite, although Blue or Red would do. ( I am looking at the one JonS has posted, but don't have the $ yet. Either way I would buy used from this site or from KFS, because you guys are INTO IT!
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Mark
Old 11-10-2004, 07:09 AM

A lot of the griping I here about eXtremes has to do with them being very flat which some don't like for surf launches etc. I regularly fish my eX in the open Pacific in swell over 7 feet and haven't found this to be a real issue, just more of a preference thing. If your fishing lakes and bays its not even worth considering, and infact may work in your favor if you fish flats.

The other thing about the eX is its constant, although minor, gurgles and burps from the reverse chine. This is most noticable on flat water with light wind ripples. I am numb to it at this point, but some people don't care for it. In my experience, it has zero effect on fishing success.

On the up side you get a fast, super dry, ultra comfortable boat with a ton of storage which for me far outweighs all of the other issues. I frequently sit my 5 year old on the console of my eX, and there is still plenty of room to paddle and fish.

Haven't had a chance to paddle the x-factor yet, but I will soon. It appears to be slightly slower because of the width, but it offers an upturned bow, and ez rod storage, which will primarily benefit the surf launch crowd. If it is well done the kid seats could also be a great feature.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:58 AM

Scwafish,do you have the original eX or the extended leg room version.Ive got the latter and though its got good speed it did slow down quite a bit compared to the originals with the added weight.Theres a good chance the new boat might be the faster of the two for this reason combined with the sharper bow design.Mark,havent paddled the X but it looks great.As both use the same bow hatch you should be able to use the child seat in either.Doesnt really matter though.With the eX you can sit a child in front of you on the center hatch,rear hatch,or anywhere you like.Stability,room and weight capacity out the wazoo .Good luck!
Old 11-10-2004, 06:29 PM

I have a newer eX. I don't know about exact speedsof any yak but when I sprint for stripers I am able to keep up or drop anyone I have fished with to date.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:09 PM

Newbie to this Board. I am an avid fisherman with a 17.5 Bell Northwind canoe tired of manhandling the boat without a load in the wind. My paddling trials for a yak have gone through the OK Prowler and Drifter, and the Tarpon 160. I am 6'1" and 290#. I paddled the Extreme and loved the stability and found it realatively fast, tracked well. Easy to rig. But for anchoring and taking any type of wake it gets wet in the front.

So I have been very interested in the X-Factor. Read the reviews so far and had a conversation with Corey at Malibu as well as my local dealer. Here are the differences I can detect so far.....

1: The Extreme is faster. Longer and narrower.

2: The X-factor is even more stable. Wider with same chine design, but a a keel in the back.

3: Although no one mentioned it, I bet because of the keel on the X-factor the Extreme is more manuverable. But that will probably be offset by the shorter length.

4: Big difference is rocker. None in the Extreme and pretty pronounced in the X-factor. Should stay drier in the front, especially for those interested in lauching in the surf which is buoyed by the 45 degree hatch.

5: Child seating. The new "Gator Hatch" which I have not seen should work on both.

6: Weight. Interesting point. The blown in closed cell floatation in the Extreme is not really for floatation. Rather, to provide rigidity to the hull. Needed with the long flat surfaces of the Extreme as the only other option was making it thicker, which would have made it a #100 class yak. The X-factor does not require this. BUT - both are 65# class yaks which is a load to get atop my van. Fortunately in Florida we often launch close to where we fish.

7: Riding height. The X-Factor rides a few inches higher in the water for the paddler, which is advantageous here on the West Coast of Florida where we often sight fish.

Summary - two great kayaks although both are on the heavy end. Extreme is awesome and probably the boat to paddle longer distances, but probably cannot match up with narrower and lighter designs like the Tarpon 160. The big question will be does the stability, rocker, and storage capacity of the X-Factor offset the loss of speed relative to the Extreme's longer/narrower hull? Also "supposed" to be a bit quieter than the Extreme.

I have asked for first dibs on a fully loaded mango X-Factor, put the rack in the garage, and am ready to paddle, buy and report!

Stay dry, tight lines, and don't let the wife know how much fun this is! She may want to go along!!!!!

Tornado
Old 11-16-2004, 06:34 AM

Tornado,the eX is about 80lbs with 3 hatchs,etc.When it first came out it was probably pretty close to 65 but they added alot of material when all the rear seat supports started breaking/leaking after they extended the legroom from the original design.Good luck!
Old 11-18-2004, 03:24 AM

THANKS FOR YOUR INSIGHT TORNADO!

You raise some excellent points!

JonS/Joey..any feedback from your end?
Old 11-18-2004, 05:53 AM

Thanks for the insight on the weight Bernie.

ImagesInc - you are welcome. Of course we never know till you ride it. Should be in soon.... I'm jonesing!
Closed Thread

Tags
coming, extreme, knew