Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Fishing Kayak Reviews > Emotion Kayaks

Emotion Kayaks Learn About Emotion Kayaks!

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 10:29 AM

EMOTION MOJO - The Review

I finally got a chance to spend some time in this boat this past Sunday out behind Caladesi Island (Dunedin, FL). I dodged storms on the way to the launch, got the boat ready, paddled about 50 feet and got dumped on. That passed, and it was a good day. Water was clear and slick as glass - very little boat traffic.

Here's how the Mojo looked with all my junk on it ...

... and here's how I christened the new ride ...

STABILITY
Plenty stable for me. I didn't feel uncomfortable at all negotiating boat waves, etc.

SPEED
I also have a Malibu Pro Explorer, and it felt about the same as far as speed goes.

HULL SLAP
None

TRACKING
It didn't track quite a straight as the Pro Explorer, but it turned easier. That's a trade off that I can certainly live with.

WET/DRY RIDE
I didn't get any water in through the 2 scuppers in the cockpit. However, rain water that came into the boat collected in the seat area. It was plenty warm that morning so it didn't bother me. But in the future I'll probably sponge it out.

FISHABILITY
The console is a pretty neat trick. It comes with a Scotty rod holder, but I used a different type Scotty rod holder with a Scotty extension. It may look a little weird, but it's very functional. It's out of the way while paddling, but very handy for fishing. I plan to cut a piece of pool noodle to slide over the extension so I can hang lures on there. Since I cast off to the side anyway, the height of the console didn't bother me at all. I added a few pad-eyes to it so I could secure my lip gripper and pliers.

The dry box (that comes with the console) worked great for holding soft baits, and the tackle tube fit nicely in the drink holder. I still need to rig something cute for my GPS mount, but for this outing I had the wrist strap wrapped around the rod holder.

I'm addicted to a stake out pole, using it with scupper holes. In the Mojo, the only scupper holes are pretty close to the seat area, which makes it hard to use a 4' pole. The solution will be an anchor trolley - simple enough.

A standard milk crate fits perfectly in the tank well. I added "j" hooks to my milk crate so I could use the tank well bungee to secure it - worked great.

I opted to use a not_so_high high back seat so I could easily get to the tank well while sitting side saddle - worked out fine.

Due to the design of the area behind the seat, the flush mount rod holders are a little higher from the water line than what you'd see on most boats. If I got in a real choppy situation I'd probably move any rods there to rod holders in my milk crate. But, if it was that choppy I'm goin' home anyway.

For how I like to fish, and where I like to go, this boat definitely does the job.

You can order this boat in a non_angler version(without the console and rod holders), and add your own stuff. Here how she looks withoutb the console ...

I added a flush mount Scotty base for those times when I don't want to use the console.

You can spin the Scotty around, which gives you better access to the rod and allows you to place a sports drink in the drink holder.

I also added a piece of pool noodle so I can put lures on there.

The console still fits fine, even with the Scotty flush mount below it.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:29 AM

EMOTION MOJO - The Review

I finally got a chance to spend some time in this boat this past Sunday out behind Caladesi Island (Dunedin, FL). I dodged storms on the way to the launch, got the boat ready, paddled about 50 feet and got dumped on. That passed, and it was a good day. Water was clear and slick as glass - very little boat traffic.

Here's how the Mojo looked with all my junk on it ...

... and here's how I christened the new ride ...

STABILITY
Plenty stable for me. I didn't feel uncomfortable at all negotiating boat waves, etc.

SPEED
I also have a Malibu Pro Explorer, and it felt about the same as far as speed goes.

HULL SLAP
None

TRACKING
It didn't track quite a straight as the Pro Explorer, but it turned easier. That's a trade off that I can certainly live with.

WET/DRY RIDE
I didn't get any water in through the 2 scuppers in the cockpit. However, rain water that came into the boat collected in the seat area. It was plenty warm that morning so it didn't bother me. But in the future I'll probably sponge it out.

FISHABILITY
The console is a pretty neat trick. It comes with a Scotty rod holder, but I used a different type Scotty rod holder with a Scotty extension. It may look a little weird, but it's very functional. It's out of the way while paddling, but very handy for fishing. I plan to cut a piece of pool noodle to slide over the extension so I can hang lures on there. Since I cast off to the side anyway, the height of the console didn't bother me at all. I added a few pad-eyes to it so I could secure my lip gripper and pliers.

The dry box (that comes with the console) worked great for holding soft baits, and the tackle tube fit nicely in the drink holder. I still need to rig something cute for my GPS mount, but for this outing I had the wrist strap wrapped around the rod holder.

I'm addicted to a stake out pole, using it with scupper holes. In the Mojo, the only scupper holes are pretty close to the seat area, which makes it hard to use a 4' pole. The solution will be an anchor trolley - simple enough.

A standard milk crate fits perfectly in the tank well. I added "j" hooks to my milk crate so I could use the tank well bungee to secure it - worked great.

I opted to use a not_so_high high back seat so I could easily get to the tank well while sitting side saddle - worked out fine.

Due to the design of the area behind the seat, the flush mount rod holders are a little higher from the water line than what you'd see on most boats. If I got in a real choppy situation I'd probably move any rods there to rod holders in my milk crate. But, if it was that choppy I'm goin' home anyway.

For how I like to fish, and where I like to go, this boat definitely does the job.

You can order this boat in a non_angler version(without the console and rod holders), and add your own stuff. Here how she looks withoutb the console ...

I added a flush mount Scotty base for those times when I don't want to use the console.

You can spin the Scotty around, which gives you better access to the rod and allows you to place a sports drink in the drink holder.

I also added a piece of pool noodle so I can put lures on there.

The console still fits fine, even with the Scotty flush mount below it.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:05 AM

Man overboard!!! Have they found him yet?
Old 09-05-2006, 01:05 PM

pag_yaker,

Nice ride. I have the blue Mojo without the console. You are right about water pooling under the seat. Its okay now, but will have to wait and see how much I like it in cooler weather.

My Scotty rod holder is in front of the cup holder on the slant. I'm short and needed it to be easier to reach.

All in all, I'm happy with mine. Theres plenty of room for storage, and I find it very manageable.

I have 2 scupper holes in rear tank well, don't you?

Nice fish, btw.

Tare: Did it smell?
Pun: (sniff, sniff, sniff) I think so.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:56 PM

Yup - 2 scuppers in the tank well.

It's a bad little boat, not a speedster, not an aircraft carrier, but it certainly does enough things well to keep it my "go to" boat.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Punisher Send a message via AIM to Punisher Send a message via MSN to Punisher

Hey Pag!

Where's my stickers at? Did ya forget about me?
Now that I have the E-Fisherman and the wife has the Mojo,you have to send double the amount of stickers.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:02 AM

This former Emotion rep just won't give up, and lord knows, he has a right to his somewhat biased opinion. So let me be clear about mine - I never worked for Emotion, I am not compensated for promoting Emotion and I maintain no relationships with Emotion Dealers.

That being said, allow me to save time and simply repeat my original reviews...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I had a chance to test paddle this monstrosity at the Adventure Times Demo Day. Of course at first sight, like most of us, I am always drawn by a new and unique design. Sad to say, another American marketing department screw up. Here's my review...

On land it really looks cool. Neat molded in carry handles that give this little yak a British look, funky sliding rod and case holder (moves fwd and aft along the center console). Great I thought!

Until you get it in the water. Slow. Really slow. And noisy. Really noisy. Really, really noisy. This little plow pushes a huge and noisy bow wave and pulls another noisy one from the stern. Ouch. Tracks so well it'd be quicker to get out and push the bow to the side when ya wanta turn. Forget it! The only Emotion I've ever felt when testing this ridiculous offering was...

Regret.

I'm not kiddin. Hey if it floats yer boat, I'll be the last one to talk you out of it. But I beg you - consider something else. Please... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There are SO many FAR superior designs for serious yakfishers - the Necky Spike at 12 ft., the OK Caper at 11, Prowler 13, even the Tarpon 120 come to mind. All significantly faster, more agile and good fishing yaks.

Now if you're into funky looks and gizmos alone - nuts on performance - ya couldn't make a better choice. But a very slow and loud short kayak that is hard to turn?

Please. That is just, well, squirrel food.

Now over the past several years I've the the opportunity to test and review many kayaks - and I can honestly say the Mojo has earned the sad distinction of being the worst ride I've ever had the displeasure to experience. I kid you not.

It's cute - until it gets near the water - then it's all bad mojo from there.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And last:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When you think about yaks in the 12 ft. class you tend to give up a bit of speed for a big gain in turning, and easier lifting/transport. Also for close conditions like mangrove tunnels, etc. The Oh No! Mojo offers none of these.

Officially it's 12 ft long, but only including those cutey molded in handles (which account for close to two feet)! Looks more like a sex toy than a kayak. In truth it's more like a 10 or 10-1/2 footer. It's no surprise it's so very, very slow. And the lack of length really does a number on eliminating needed storage space.

For such a short boat it sure is heavy at 52 lb. Heck, my old Scupper Pro (at close to 15 ft - almost 5 ft longer) only weighed 55. And at 31 in. it's quite wide (but this is less surprising when you consider how short it is). We're moving toward innertube dimensions here - short and fat. No wonder it pushes such a huge (and loud) bow wave.

Let's take the leading contender in this class - the Necky Spike at 12'4". In my stationary 180 turn test, it takes the Spike little more than a single sweep. The Mojo more like three (as bad as the Tarpon 140, another non-turner). This is very bad, especially for a ten/twelve which oughta turn on a dime.

After all, turning and weight are the two big reasons to go short. The Mojo offers neither. I'm sorry, it's just a terrible design, especially for kayakfishing where performance really does matter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But all this doesn't mean I'd never paddle a NoGo - but you'd have to pay me too.
Yakfishin Forum in Paradise
http://www.ftlauderdaleyakfishingclu.../ikonboard.cgi
Old 09-06-2006, 10:05 AM

Old 09-06-2006, 12:38 PM

The average man's opinions are generally of
more value to himself than to anyone else.

Tare: Did it smell?
Pun: (sniff, sniff, sniff) I think so.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Punisher Send a message via AIM to Punisher Send a message via MSN to Punisher

It must suck,it's not listed on his "superduperoffshoredreammachine" kayak page.

I guess all those fish we caught out of it don't know they were caught from such an inferior kayak.

Tags
mojo, review