Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Fishing Kayak Reviews > Emotion Kayaks

Emotion Kayaks Learn About Emotion Kayaks!

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 06:02 AM

I wouldn't own another Emotion kayak if they were giving them away.

I'm thinking they just don't get it but I will say as a positive that their customer service is tops. I guess it has to be.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:40 PM

Anybody else "got the Mojo workin'? I'wondering how this yak compares to a Tarpon 120 or 140. Any insights will be much appreciated.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Punisher Send a message via AIM to Punisher Send a message via MSN to Punisher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smallmouth89:
Anybody else "got the Mojo workin'? I'wondering how this yak compares to a Tarpon 120 or 140. Any insights will be much appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have one. It sits a little higher on the water.
You will keep a pretty dry butt in this yak.
It is slightly longer than the 120.
It paddles nicely and is very responsive.
The 140 would be the way to go if you are looking for more speed though.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:00 PM

I just bought one instead of the Tarpon, which has been my favorite inshore salt water fishing yak for the last few years. The reason is I now live where small river fishing is the nearby norm, not wide open water & wind but moving shallow water that requires maneuvering. The Mojo Angler is lighter than the Tarpons, easier to turn in tight corners in moving water and small enough for small creeks & rivers. It also has good storage underneath which protects gear if you get dumped in a tight turn. I know it will not track as well nor go as fast as the Tarpon but as a general fishing yak it will do well in many settings both fresh & salt.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:23 PM

Glad to hear you're happy with your Emotion. They make an awesome kayak, and the customer service is tops. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Tare: Did it smell?
Pun: (sniff, sniff, sniff) I think so.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:44 AM

There have been some mods to the Mojo. Once mine lands, I'll post pics and a review. The bow/stern have a new look and better function. The plastic is stiffer to help prevent oilcanning, and the cockpit scuppers have been redsigned to help the boat rain better. It also has a hard hatch cover as well as the neoprene cover.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:16 AM

Bought a new Mojo/Fish a few weeks ago, and took it lake fishing here in Texas this weekend. It's my first yak, but compared to the SIKs I've paddled this is wonderful. My brother fished from his Wilderness SIK and was green with envy. Lots of storage in the back, easy to get to by swinging around sideways and reaching back. A little shaky on initial stability, but secondary was really good. Tracked pretty well even into the wind, and also turned pretty quickly to get over to those largemouth bass. A little oilcanning in the middle of the cockpit leaves the top of the scupper holes a little higher than elsewhere in there so a little water collects. But the seat is elevated above that so I was dry the whole time. Loved the console in the front, with the rod holder built in. Easy to remove for transport or non-fishing use. Loved it, and can't wait to catch more.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:36 AM

LENGTH: 12' 4"
WIDTH: 31"
WEIGHT: 52 lbs
CAPACITY: 250-325 lbs (depending on water conditions)
MSRP: $579 for the basic model (without rod holders, removable console, dry box).
$699 for the angler model (shown).
WEB: http://emotionkayak.com/HTML/Kayaks/Mojo_ang.htm

I finally got to give the new/improved/re-designed Emotion Mojo a real saltwater test on Tuesday 05/22/07 (Caladesi Island, Dunedin FL). It was pretty windy, but the boat traffic was very light. Fishing was lousy, so I had no choice but to do a paddling demo.

COMFORT / EASE OF USE / DRY RIDE:
Entering the boat with the console is a little awkward at first, but after you do it a couple times it becomes second nature. I like to sit "side saddle" a lot, and this boat easily accommodates that as well. I weigh around 230, and the redesigned scuppers didn't let any water back up through them.

HANDLING / SPEED:
The new bow design adds buoyancy and definitely makes the boat part the water nicely, without hull slap. The redesigned stern makes a noticeable improvement in tracking. Speed is comparable to other 12' boats I've paddled. I had no problems turning, etc.

STABILITY:
The stability is in line with other 12' boats I've paddled. The cockpit has indents for your feet, should you be inclined to stand. I'm not a stander, so I didn't test this. But, as you can see, it can be done ...

Now for some more pictures. Here's how it looked without all my junk on it ...

Junk added ...

There was plenty of room behind the milk crate if you wanted to carry a cooler ...

The adjustable removable console is a slick trick. Here, I have it slid all the way forward. Between the tackle tube I use and the dry box (that comes with the boat) there's not much need to get in to the milk crate very often. It puts everything you need in easy reach.

Here's how the cockpit looks without the console. I added a Scotty base and put an extension on a Scotty rod holder in my other Mojo. Using the flush rod holder mount, the console will still attach. As you can see, this frees up a lot of room in the cockpit, should you decide you need it ...

The tank well has indents for a 5 gallon bucket and a standard sized milk crate ...

I modified my milk crate with "J" hooks so I could secure it to the boat via the tank well bungee ...

The front hatch may appear small, but it allowed me to insert 5 rods (up to 7.5' - reels on) and my paddle ...

The hatch has a neoprene cover AND a hard cover ...

Yep, wish I was here ...
Old 05-29-2007, 07:09 AM

Great review and pictures Pag_Yaker. Thanks!!

Tare: Did it smell?
Pun: (sniff, sniff, sniff) I think so.
Closed Thread

Tags
mojo, review