Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Fishing Kayak Reviews > Hobie Kayaks

Hobie Kayaks Learn about Hobie Kayaks!

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 04:49 PM

I have an adventure, but not the AI, havin to keep reading all of these post on sailing has peaked my interest. Mine is an 06 model and has the places for the sail and daggerboard (think thats what its called ).

How hard is it to sail without the amas, is it more likeley to tip over, and where do you all put this stuff (sail etc...) when you reach the fishing destination. Would this be practicle to just use to get to a destination with less effort, or is it really for people who just love to sail and not really worth the effort (setup & takedown) if your just looking to fish?

Oh, and did I mention, I'm in!!!"

First member of the Pringles kayak fishing team
Old 11-15-2007, 04:49 PM

I have an adventure, but not the AI, havin to keep reading all of these post on sailing has peaked my interest. Mine is an 06 model and has the places for the sail and daggerboard (think thats what its called ).

How hard is it to sail without the amas, is it more likeley to tip over, and where do you all put this stuff (sail etc...) when you reach the fishing destination. Would this be practicle to just use to get to a destination with less effort, or is it really for people who just love to sail and not really worth the effort (setup & takedown) if your just looking to fish?

Old 11-16-2007, 06:49 PM

I have the AI . I use the sail with the amas never tried with out them. I believe Hobie sells a smaller sail for use with out the amas . Maybe you can get the sidekicks. It is easy to furl the sail and fish. I can also remove the mast and strap it to the amas while on the water. You can cover a lot of water. One August Sunday I sailed all over Raritain bay chasing schools of peanuts and blues.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:35 AM

I used the 20 SF sail several times with my 2006 Adventure before I bought the Sidekick.... and it was fun (and tippy), so I worried about dumping a little too much to relax.
It was so much more fun with the SideKick which eliminated all the worry!!! AND Like RR said, it made it easy and safe to stand up for sight fishing. There was no worry about tipping so you can relax and take full advantage of gustier winds.

The "problem" was that it made me desire an even better sailing experience so I just HAD TO sell it and get an AI.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:39 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I'll have to look into it, havent really thought bout the sidekicks cause of potential extra drag, and it would be one more thing I would have to carry.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:02 PM

CDC,
They don't drag at all if you adjust them in the middle or upper position. Even when deployed in the fully down position there is not much noticeable drag... unless you lean and swerve on them. And they will inflate with three or forth deep breaths and can be deflated quickly and put out of the way easily. I'm not trying to sell you by "overcoming your objections", I just think if you get the sail you'll really like the Sidekicks.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:53 AM

WOW, you must be psychic about these sidekicks, you answered all of my questions for my next post before I even posted it

Old 11-22-2007, 10:47 AM

I have had Adventure and now AI.

I enjoy the AI for the extra speed and power but I really enjoy sailingthe AI (hull only) with the small sail (to do this on the AI you need to make an adapter for the small sail mast). Sailing the Adventure in the same way is a blast and the boat sails really well with the small sail, daggerboard and larger rudder. It is only for light winds and is not a speed boat by any means. While it does tip I have never been capsized because I have been careful about when & how to use the sail.

Transporting & rigging of the kayak hull & small sail it is a lot less hassle than the AI.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:01 AM

I sailed an Adventure alot last winter with sidekicks. It was fun but now I've got an AI also and it's easier to sail.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:16 PM

In my opinion, it is irresponsible and dangerous to sail any kayak with a sail larger than 2 sq meters unless amas are used.

Tags
free, sailing