Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Fishing Kayak Reviews > Wilderness Systems

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 01:55 PM

I took a much needed day off from work to paddle my new boat.

Purchased the boat from Jon last Saturday, drilled holes in the console on Sunday for Ram mounts and today wet her decks; no champaigne, but sunlight and water.

Dropped the boat on a lake's beach, set the rudder foot pedal straps to length, pushed the boat out into the water and started paddling. A little water flooded the starboard footwell when porky climbed onto the boat; I go 240 from weight lifting and eating lots of ice cream. The water quickly drained back into the lake.

Started paddling, seat is actually comfy without the Endurance seat, but I expect over a long day I'll need to use the add-on seat.

Tested stability by moving my hips back and forth. Yes, she moves a bit and initially, I thought not as stabile as my Fisherman or the FnD I paddled. I got over the so called tippiness in a hurry. I even timidly tested trying to roll the boat by sitting with my legs over the starboard and leaning out over the water. Nope, she didn't turtle, but I need to play some more so I know the limits.

Paddling was fun. I hit 5.1 mph at one point, but mostly paddle and easy 4.1 mph. I expect to keep paddling at 5.1 mph I need to improve my paddling technique and get into better aerobic shape. I suspect by summer's end I'll be in great shape.

I used the rudder, but not a good test today because of little chop on the lake. Wind was blowing around 10 mph and not a good test. Paddling without the rudder the boat tracked very well.

Loading the boat on my Explorer is pretty easy, but how come the vendors cannot make ergonomic hand holds so the weight of the boat doesn't pinch your fingers?

The only negative I found and not a bother to me, water collects where your sit. I had about 1/8 inch of puddled water; it's a water sport so I'm not concerned, but just surprised.

I placed a standard size milk crate within the tank well to see how it fit; no problem. Yes, tank wells smaller than my Fisherman or FnD, but I mostly fly fish and not an issue.

Finally, overall, a great boat.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:55 PM

I took a much needed day off from work to paddle my new boat.

Purchased the boat from Jon last Saturday, drilled holes in the console on Sunday for Ram mounts and today wet her decks; no champaigne, but sunlight and water.

Dropped the boat on a lake's beach, set the rudder foot pedal straps to length, pushed the boat out into the water and started paddling. A little water flooded the starboard footwell when porky climbed onto the boat; I go 240 from weight lifting and eating lots of ice cream. The water quickly drained back into the lake.

Started paddling, seat is actually comfy without the Endurance seat, but I expect over a long day I'll need to use the add-on seat.

Tested stability by moving my hips back and forth. Yes, she moves a bit and initially, I thought not as stabile as my Fisherman or the FnD I paddled. I got over the so called tippiness in a hurry. I even timidly tested trying to roll the boat by sitting with my legs over the starboard and leaning out over the water. Nope, she didn't turtle, but I need to play some more so I know the limits.

Paddling was fun. I hit 5.1 mph at one point, but mostly paddle and easy 4.1 mph. I expect to keep paddling at 5.1 mph I need to improve my paddling technique and get into better aerobic shape. I suspect by summer's end I'll be in great shape.

I used the rudder, but not a good test today because of little chop on the lake. Wind was blowing around 10 mph and not a good test. Paddling without the rudder the boat tracked very well.

Loading the boat on my Explorer is pretty easy, but how come the vendors cannot make ergonomic hand holds so the weight of the boat doesn't pinch your fingers?

The only negative I found and not a bother to me, water collects where your sit. I had about 1/8 inch of puddled water; it's a water sport so I'm not concerned, but just surprised.

I placed a standard size milk crate within the tank well to see how it fit; no problem. Yes, tank wells smaller than my Fisherman or FnD, but I mostly fly fish and not an issue.

Finally, overall, a great boat.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:01 PM

Ram Mounts on console
Old 05-05-2005, 03:25 PM

rwolson

Thanks for the review of your new Tarpon 160 and pictures. Looks great! Where did you commando the yellow milk crate from? I wonder if they left an orange one unattended.

eklunta
Old 05-05-2005, 06:10 PM

Good Show
Old 05-06-2005, 01:31 PM

Eklunta,

I bought this milk crate at the Container Store. http://www.containerstore.com/browse...2&PRODID=60136 no orange. Also, I have a black and yellow "acquired" over the years.

Roger, great boat and very light. I guessimate the weight around 65 pounds.

Tags
maiden, tarpon 160, voyager