Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > How To > Safety

Safety Everything you need to know to have fun and stay safe

Old 04-03-2009, 11:48 AM

Default On the water access to your gear

Hope you guys could help on this one...

I have found that one of the key factors in being successful fishing from a kayak is to have very convenient and fast access to your lures, rigs, etc so that you have as few obstacles as possible to changing things up as you go and finding what works.

My problem is that I have not yet figured out how to do this. I got an aquaskins leader wallet from kfs and clipped that next to my seat and that helped get to leaders, rigs and even bucktails. Small stuff. But lures? I keep them in dry boxes in my Hobie center hatch under the gear bucket and it is really unmotivating to open the hatch, pick up the gear bucket, find a place to put it where it won't topple over, dig down in the hatch to get the right box and then put everything back before I can really even move much.

Anybody have a good way to keep 5-10 lures up to 7" long topside, dry but out of the way?

I was thinking about a larger portfolio, like what guys keep off shore trolling lures in, that can hang off the side of the hull next to seat. Haven't found a good one yet though.

This is, I think, a very important element to kayak fishing successfully. Any thoughts?
Old 04-03-2009, 12:26 PM

Do you not have room in your tankwell or crate behind you for the dry boxes? Thats where i keep all my fishing gear, but its hard to say without knowing what hobie your have and the layout of your other gear. I have considered how to use space between the seat and the tankwell between my rod holders, like making a bag that would fit a few tackle boxes that clips to the back of the seat.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:48 PM

Hey Dave, what about a small childs pail or mabey empty sheetrock mud bucket with some thin walled pvc tubes glued in and lures dropped in tubes hung by their trebles. Seen some rather larger versions on big boats for trolling. Also don't know if was this site or another someone had fashioned one similar Also mabey some thing like small version of rocket launcher mabey on either side cockpit.
Shimano
St.Croix
Power Pro
Berkley
DOA
Old 04-03-2009, 01:55 PM

Reabid099, I have a revo.

Yeah, the boxes in the tank well crate could certainly be an option, but I find, for some reason, that if it's a couple of feet behind me it may as well be a mile. If I can't reach it without turning fully around it's not the answer I'm looking for. Maybe I'm just lazy..

I'm looking for something right at my fingertips. Above board and right next me. I can swing it over my shoulder from behind me, pull something hanging just over the outside of the hull etc. Maybe I just need to do away with the hobie hatch bucket so everything under it is easier to access.

Shallowminded, I like that rocket launcher type idea running down the side of the hull. Will think about that one. Would have to be on the side opposite where I would re-enter, of course, if need be.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Anything else?
Old 04-03-2009, 02:47 PM

For the go to lineup, I keep one 3730 plano in the cockpit under my thighs. I have tarpons so there is some room. Not sure if the revo has that room or not. I am carrying pike and muskie baits which would be about the same size.
The rest I carry in my crate in the tankwell.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:04 PM

first thing you have to do is throw the gear bucket away. I tied a piece of parachute cord with two loops below the deck and attach 2 plano box tackle boxes ( I forget the number but they are pretty big) that just fit in the center hatch. they are under the deck on the left. on the right I have 2 or 3 of those soft side coolers (small) filled with bucktails, rigs, plastics ect.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:12 PM

Hiking, I think you're absolutley right. That gear bucket, as nice and convenient as it seems, is really just a big pain in the A*#. If I have anything in there sticking up I can never get the hatch to close easily and pulling it up and out of the hatch to get underneath it is always tricky.

I should do a run without it and see how that changes how I feel about that hatch. I looked at doing a trolly in the revo but there really isn't that much room to go front and back (I didn't think?) so I just did the pool noodle thing to keep everything in place and under the hatch.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:51 PM
W.E.T. Staff

Dave, you seen this picture at the JB seminar at KFS. It explains everything for you. Except the part about attatching a big tie strap around the mirage drive hull in front of you which you clip all your stuff to. No need for trollys or long ropes. I attatch a clip/and 6" cord to each waterproof tackle box AND one to my drybag.
There's enough room for extra stuff too...like the 42" fish drybag I'm working on with a manufacturer (top secret).
I'm throwing diamonds your way, just reach out and pick them up.LOL I'm including some pics I have on hand, this stuff works and I'm sure it will for you as well. MJ.

Here's a bonus...I LOVE America!!!!!

r257jediny@yahoo.com

Last edited by sifisto; 04-03-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:51 PM

Dave, here is what I did in the hatch. I took 2 tupperware type containers---13" long, 8" wide, & 6" deep, and pushed them into the hatch area. You need containers that are somewhat flexible to get them in. Before I put them in, I drilled holes around the bottoms for any water that might get into the containers to be able to drain. Also drilled 3 holes at the top of the containers on the long side. (13" side)
After the containers are in the hatch, just line up the 13" sides and zip tie them together at the top. This works the best for me, for storage. It gives you 2 divided compartments, and the ability to store quite a bit of stuff. There is enough room in the hatch, to slide the containers left or right to center each container when you open the hatch.
It also allows room down the sides, if you needed to store rods underneath from the front hatch. I agree with you, like to have gear in the front.

Bill
Old 04-03-2009, 08:30 PM

Dave, if you have Ram tubes mounted on your yak, you can wrap pool noodles around the outside of it and attach your "go to" lures to to them. They won't be dry but will be easily accessible.

I try and keep a variety of stuff in my gear bucket in the Revo so I can have whatever I need in easy reach.

I have been learning to not bring the kitchen sink like I used to, I get my balls broke carrying all this stuff when everyone knows I almost always just TnW it!

Tags
access, gear, water