Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Fishing Kayak Reviews > Other Kayaks and Comparisons

Other Kayaks and Comparisons So all can benefit from interactive discussions of a particular model. This is for those who use a kayak that doesn't have it's own category listed above. .

Old 06-17-2009, 03:19 PM

Thumbs up Future Beach Trophy 126 DLX

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot written about this Kayak so here is goes. I bought one from Dick's on sale and have been loving it. Its been affectionately named the Warthog as it shares many of the same traits as the A-10 flown by the army. They are both an ugly green, slow, and very stable. I love mine. I've taken quite a few broadside wake hits (I gotta pay better attention to other things when I'm fishing) and never worried about tipping over. I don't have it overly rigged (yet) as I'm trying to keep it simple. I have added an Accessory Deck for dryer legs and some storage for tackle http://dickssportinggoods.com/produc...ductId=3079324
I picked it up on sale for 349 and haven't looked back. I fish in upstate NY and the water is alway freeking freezing so I prefer the SIK style, much dryer and warmer IMOH. Loading and unloading is a breeze, I just toss it (it weighs 45lbs) into the back of my S10 (with the tailgate up) and strap it down and I'm off. The back hatch is my cooler with a plastic bag to hold the ice and drinks (I'm working on something better) and the front hatch has been largely unused so far). I'd recommend it for anyone looking to get started kayak fishing. I'm thinking about adding a fish finder but there is so much to consider (in hull gel, goop, vaseline, water foam, thru hull) that I'm holding off. Maybe I'll just put the time in to learn the water but the fish don't seem to read the same books I do to know where the fish should be.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:52 PM

I've been an advocate for this particular company because I took a chance on it and wound up winning, in my opinion. For very little investment, I have a fully rigged out and capable sit-in that, while not the fastest boat in the world, is incredibly stable, versatile, and outfitted the way I wanted. Recently I took this into the salt and it performed well, although it was only in the bay, and never really felt as if I was going to swamp it. Later in the day we performed roll-over drills, and found that this boat takes a lot to roll it. The tipping point is also predictable and linear. I was also able to flip it back over and re-enter. There was a lot of water inside (at least 5 gallons) but if I had enough time I could have sponged or pumped it out and continued on.

Enjoy it. It won't win any races but it will certainly get you out on the water. I'm considering the Freedom 160 for a sit-in-top if I see a sale on them.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:33 PM

Let's see some rigging and slime pictures!

All my hobbies can or have hurt me! Fuzzy(as in not clear)
Old 06-18-2009, 08:17 AM

No slime pictures for me, too busy trying to get the fish landed and safely back in the water to worry about pictures, but here's my boat and NJ Native Angler's Tarpon 160i at the launch in Keyport, NJ. You can see the anchor trolly on the starboard side, and the paddle being held on by the paddle keeper on the port side. The crate is held down by 2 bungee cords, clipped to 2 stainless 1/4-20 eye-bolts with huge fender washers. Doubles as a back rest when I'm tired of paddling.

Here's why you buy a kayak. Can't get through this in anything else unless you're swimming. Train bridge in Matawan, the waterway is Matawan Creek:

And here's me and the Trophy out in Horseshoe Cove in Sandy Hook:

Old 06-21-2009, 10:55 PM

Default Trophy 144

I recently picked up the Trophy 144 (12 foot boat) Dad and I bought the same boat actually. I looked at the 126 but wanted a longer boat. A company called Dunham's Sports had them in there stores on sall for 350. So we bought the pair. Still havent set out for a long paddle but I'm pretty happy with the boat. We are headed to Canada in the fall for a kayak fishing/camping trip so thats one reason we wanted the longer boats (more weight)

Anyway glad to see others with these boats on here. And so far it seems it was a good choice. I'll add more as I take it out more.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:06 PM

Thumbs up trophy 126 DLX

I also bought this on sale at Dicks. I have gotten it out in the Lynhaven Bay of Virginia Beach about 4 times now and am impressed so far. No angling yet as I am learning the water and kayak still. Stable almost to a fault- whether the sense of security is false or not- I have it. I did not think it slow until my GF and I went out together- she in a perception. She kept up easily unless I went hardcore and then I pulled away from her. The trophy is smooth and glides on track even in choppy H2O. Wind: Wind has been the only enviormental to date that had a noticeable effect on the yak.
The storage is adequate as is- as I learn more I may begin outfitting.
Lower back discomfort the first couple of outings but that subsided.
I am thinking about a skirt- has anyone fitted one they like or recommend?
I am VERY happy with my kayak. I am bigger guy so shoulder hoisting is not that big a deal for the 47 lbs- I just figure if and when I get another one it will be ...ahhhh... ;-) Having fun so far and planning a primitive camping trip to false cape soon.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:46 PM

FYI, to those with a Trophy 126, does this look familiar?

http://www.equinoxkayaks.com/produits_124.html

They have a parts section, and they have an awesome seat. I have seen the seat and boat in person, but not sat in it, but the boat is identical to the Trophy.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:37 AM

Must be the same company. If you look even their ram tough and dehidral sybols are the same...at the very least its licenced byt the same company.

Actually I was told by the guy at Dicks sporting goods the company is owned by pelican. Not sure if thats true or what but he says they recieve thiers in a pelical box.

I don't much care but I like that some of the parts are avalible on the exuinox website. Even though you can get most if not all of that elswhere. I do like the two additional cup holders on the equinox version...

I need to rig something to allow me to get a rod holder closer to me. Its a bit of a reach if I mount it infront of the cockpit.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:24 PM

I would be extremely surprised if Pelican owned anything of or from GSC technologies/future beach/equinox. GSC sued Pelican for patent infringement not too long ago.

Dick's is also not known for their insightful and knowledgable staff.

Pelican kayaks are also thermoformed, not rotomolded, and if Pelican had rotomold equipment i'd suspect they would be using it for their brand because of it's superior strength in the end product.

I had a scotty mount in the apex of the cockpit and never had an issue reaching it, even with my stubby arms. I'm 5'7 and could reach up there without a problem.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:55 PM

Default Equinox

Wow gallon, those are almost identical to the 126. What do you think of the seat. I'm looking to upgrade mine. Does anyone know if the SOT seats will fit the 126?

Tags
126, beach, dlx, future, trophy