Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Fishing > Freshwater Fishing

Freshwater Fishing Sponsored by KayakBassFishing.com: Freshwater Streams, Lakes, and Rivers are made for Kayak Fishing!

Old 07-16-2009, 12:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to Dirtman
Default I am so sick of beavers...

This is litterally the 6th time in a row in the past 2 weeks I've been out fishing a local set of lakes only to be followed around by beavers... They swim out and just follow me around wacking their tails on the water and splashing. (scaring off any potential fish) And not just in my kayak, They've been doing this as I've been wading as well. And not in one spot I'm talking about 3 seperate lakes no matter what spot I go to!

I never thought these words would come out of my mouth but... WHY WONT THE BEAVERS LEAVE ME ALONE!?

anyone else ever have this happen? As if getting away from the crowds of people in New Jersey isn't hard enough now I'm getting followed around by woodland critters...
Old 07-16-2009, 12:46 AM

Add another rod holder on the yak...........................................for a slingshot!
Old 07-16-2009, 06:03 AM

That's a tough one. We have beavers in our local lake, but they keep to themselves for the most part. It's a shame the damage that they do to the shoreline. There are a couple hundred trees that are either down or severely damaged due to these paddle tailed vermin. The lake association is too stupid to take action; even though they've all been informed. They should all be forced to watch the same documentary that I saw on beavers about a year ago. Left unchecked, they can devastate some lakes.

I would probably head right for the beaver den and fish the edges. That should get them really fired up. Maybe after that they will only bother you if you get close to the den. You may even catch some nice fish right there!!
Old 07-16-2009, 06:22 AM

I chunked riprap on one once. He took the hint.

Used to watch them harvest Xmas tree structure out of bottom of lake for the hut too.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:51 AM

Ooops I was thinking about another kind.
There was this rental house on an island in Maine near the fishing camp we go to and well they used to sun bathe nude wave and often swim out to where we were fishing .
Didnt take long before every boat in camp was fishing off that island.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:06 AM

The furry bastards are everywhere around here, they outlawed trapping a few years back and they multiplied like rabbits. It can scare the sh*t out of you when they tail slap behind you in the dark
Old 07-16-2009, 10:24 AM

I was fishing one morning out on "Beaver Lake" of all places... It was chilly, probably 40 - 45 degrees... I was sitting there on the lake, minding my own business when I spot a little movement out of the corner of my eye.

I turned my head and locked eyes with a beaver that was swimming directly towards the left side of my boat, just a few feet away. He stopped probably an arm's length away, looked up at me, and I could have sworn I saw him smirk. He then dove and smacked his tail on the water with a loud WHAP, splashing the cold morning water all over my face.

I now carry a slingshot with me on all of my trips
Old 07-16-2009, 12:10 PM

Whatever you do, don't try to cast in their direction hoping to scare them away.

My buddy did that to a nutria once and ended up hooking the poor thing in the eye and beavers are even larger.

Trust me, you don't want to try and land a 25 pound pissed off beaver with a hook stuck in him.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:59 PM

Went wading in the Delaware one day. All of a sudden, the water starts to erupt, about 5 feet from me. Scared the c*** out of me. Out pops a beaver. Laughed my butt off after I regained my wits.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:48 PM

Beavers do that when they are defending their territory, I'm surprised they followed you all over like that. Guess they claimed the whole freakin lake!!

Tags
beavers, sick