Go Back   Kayakfishingstuff.com Community Forums > Fishing Kayak Reviews > Kaskazi Kayaks

Kaskazi Kayaks South Africa's finest fishing kayaks

Old 08-28-2009, 05:58 AM

Arrow Further & faster ?

I had posted this in another forum last evening, but then I realized it shouldn't be there and moved it here because it was done in a Kaskazi Dorado.

Those that fish the Jamaica Bay tourney each year are familiar with the layout of the bay.

Since I started paddling just a few years ago, it has been a pipe dream of mine to one day follow the shoreline of the entire bay and paddle around it in my Dorado. I never actually thought I would DO it. I just dreamed about it a bit... Hey, I was a fat, middle aged guy with no real prior water experience before I got my first Prowler 13 for fishing. Who was I kidding...

But as time went by, I , like many, began to enjoy paddling a kayak almost as much as I enjoyed fishing and a year and a half later ( last fall ) I got my first Kaskazi Dorado and that is when my enjoyment of being in a kayak went to an entirely different level.

Over time, when the fishing slowed down and summer doldrums started to take over, I slowly increase my distances each time out in my Dorado...

About a month ago, I started breaking 18 miles an outing.

About two weeks after that I pushed past that mark and started averaging just over 20 miles a paddle, and it was one morning last week I pushed up to over 24 miles.

This week I had a day where I got onto the water early enough and decided to make my attempt to "go for it" and see if I could push my way around the entire perimeter of Jamaica Bay within a 100 or so yards from the shoreline.

The SPOT tracking below shows the course taken. Quite a few of the SPOT signals didn't get through ( as usual ) so the picture of the course appears to have some corners cut.

As far as conditions go, over that kind of distance and basically paddling in a large circle, the conditions constantly change for you and against you. Wind direction, tide flow, deep water, shallows .. They are all different in different areas of the bay.

In the end, the average speed of the trip was 4.5 mph covering 26.5 miles in 5 hours and 53 minutes. Not exactly racing speeds, but for the distance traveled, not too bad in a "fishing specific" kayak...

As we all know, fellow Dorado owner Goldie achieved an unbelievable task by taking her Dorado, "a fishing specific kayak" on an Ultra Marathon down a river and covered a 340 mile course in a hour or two over 75 hours.

For all of these years, we have all accused Luna of being a really, really, REALLY ol' and senile drunkard ( which of course we all know he actually is and love him for it ) when it came to his claims of the Dorado's abilities...

Who would have ever believed that he actually knew what he was talking about!!!

For my money, personally, when it comes to going further and faster...

Give me a Dorado... Simply because the Kaskazi Dorado is the kind of kayak that can inspire a person to actually attempt to do it!

Oh and Lconn, before you even ask, no I didn't fish that day!

The Fall run is just around the corner. I can't wait to get in some quality fishing!!!

Last edited by Odin; 08-28-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Banned

Hey Odin.. great report and congratulations on your accomplishment in the Dorado!

I want to echo your sentiments on the Dorado.. it truly inspired me to push myself physically, while feeling very safe in situations that honestly would not have been safe for me in another kayak.

I'm also someone who never thought of myself as a physically capable of achieving anything daunting prior to finding kayaking. But being on the water has always been a joy, and being able to participate in events which can keep me out there on the water has been my inspiration. The 340 mile race is called a "Vision Quest" because you are alone for so many hours, and learn a lot about yourself and the environment.

The very fact that the Dorado can not only come along with me for distance events as well as fishing events is a plus. My sea kayaks were truly a pain for fishing. Yes, they were faster but not as comfortable and being able to reach the end of my rod was nearly impossible without soaking the reel.

Keep working out at least twice a week on the water, and you should be able to keep your "base" level of fitness through the winter. The tough part is November through March, when freshwater is frozen solid around these parts. I try to find unfrozen moving water and paddle above rushing freshwater fords and chop a bit of ice now and then (paddling with a steel shovel) to cut an access into lakes which are unfrozen in the middles. (wear a full wetsuit for safety). To train for the marathon, I worked out 3-4 days a week doing 4-5 hours of sprints, resting as little between the sprints as I could. Did that on top of my base, for about 3-4 months. I usually got home after 10 pm each night, dripping wet and starving. It's important to rest well on the day between workouts, and eat lots of protein at each meal, as well as restoring your glycogen (carbs stored by your liver). When I drove home each night, I'd have a terrible craving for donuts. That was my liver begging for carbs. I ate steak several times a week, as well as wild salmon and eggs daily. Soreness? I'd be a little sore each night, but by morning the day after, it was funny because I'd be dying to go out again the very next day. Just loved training and ended up having to force myself to stick with a day off between sprint training in order to build myself up, rather than end up overtrained and injured. I've never had an injury to date and two days after the marathon felt normal again (was a little sore the day after, and hands and feet swelling. Next day it was all gone). I kept myself off the kayak for one week after the marathon just to be sure, but was completely fine.

Through the winter, I plan on adding some stuff like mountain biking, more kettlebell routines, and even yoga. I won't enjoy it like I do my kayaking, but hopefully it won't be too boring.

We're all capable of much more than we think, no matter our age or current fitness level. I was a desk-bound business owner, got involved in kayaking purely for the love of it and how it brought me such happiness. When I get out on the water, all is right with the world and I leave my stress on the shore. Paddling fast or slow, no matter.. I listen to the water, breathe fresh air, and enjoy being surrounded by nature. Fishing is extra pleasure.. now that I don't have to concentrate on sprints I can bring my gear and relax into the fall season in all its glory. Fish beware, I will not be that innocuous shooting white log anymore.

Fish on everyone, paddle on-- and enjoy your Dorado.
-GFG

PS Odin-- let's get as many Dorado owners together as possible for J-Bay. We might catch less and enjoy the journey more, but it would be a great experience!
Old 08-28-2009, 09:25 PM

Thing about the Dorado is you don't have to push yourself to make time/distance. Easy to make 4.5 - 5 MPH. You just need to find your pace and go go go.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Thing about the Dorado is you don't have to push yourself to make time/distance. Easy to make 4.5 - 5 MPH. You just need to find your pace and go go go.
Yup Craig, once you find "the glide" she just keeps flowing along!

Next thing you know, half a day is gone and you still don't want to get off the water!
Old 08-29-2009, 09:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to FD Kev NY

Hey Odin
Do you paddle Jbay everyday? I'm in Breezy and I am looking for a buddy to paddle with(safety in #'s) The circle you did around jaby is impressive. But you missed half the bay. I paddle from the lighthouse in Breezy across to KCC to Plumb beach to Gerristan to Barren Island marine to MPB to Roxbury back to the Rockaway Point Dock. I haven't tracked how long it is but its a great day. If your interested give me a buzz
Kevin
Old 08-29-2009, 11:44 AM

Kev,

The smaller area you are speaking of is actually considered part of Rockaway Inlet and is shown on the map in red. The area you are speaking of is probably somewhere around 1/4 of the distance of the back bay itself and a really nice place to paddle.

I used to paddle it all of the time in my Prowler 13...

I usually head out that way to fish from Floyd Bennett starting next month. I like to troll that exact area when the false albies come in or if I just feel like paddling out to the jetty. I also like to fish the bunker schools in Gerritsen and Sheepshead in October!

Jamaica Bay starts on the other side of the bridge and proceeds back past I Inwood Golf course in the area called "Head of Bay Basin. The area I cover is roughly shown by the blue tracing.

I have also paddled out past Louie's pier and then back into the bay to circle it....

This is a pic of my SPOT tracking of one of my paddles from Floyd out to the Lighthouse at Louies and then back into the bay. That is my 24 plus paddle shown on my GPS in one of the pics.

I generally paddle the bay three to five days depending on weather and how much time I have. I am busier now so I am down to 3-4 days.

My white Ridgeline is usually by the Floyd ramp if I am out on the water...

Last edited by Odin; 08-29-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Banned

Hey Odin,
If you are heading out 3-5 days a week, you'll be building your endurance and stamina big time. 5 times a week is way more than I can handle!

I wonder if you and Kevin will recognize each other when you finally meet up for a circle around the bay.

I love seeing the maps.. so nice to see the distance.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to FD Kev NY

Odin
Thanks for the heads up. I put in at the Rockaway dock. I then make my way from there in any direction. I try to use the tide to my advantage.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:02 PM

Goldie,

If a person fishes that area they usually do know me, at least by sight or my very bad reputation of being an ol' school, grouchy, son of a beach ) because I have been heavily involved in the surf fishing aspect of things out there at Floyd Bennett, Ft Tilden and Breezy Point for close to 25 years, for the most part on an almost daily basis. ( Except weekends now because it's too crazy with boaters and beachgoers. )

I am one of the well known "regulars", so to speak, amongst the group of long time surf fishermen that use the area daily.

As far as paddling goes Goldie...

My lower back has a degenerative disk problem, and narrowing of my spine, as well as other old injuries that limit me from reaching my fullest capabilities. The pain gets pretty bad at times and is the endurance I have trouble building up.

I generally try to paddle at least 50 - 80 miles a week.

It always amazes me how few people I see on the water as often as I am out there... But then again, I am retired so I paddle mostly mid day while others probably come out in the evening or in Kev's case maybe early morning.

Wait a minute... What was the question???

Hey Druid...

Remember the old days when I simply typed a "." and it drove you crazy???

Last edited by Odin; 08-29-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:11 PM

Kev,

This paddling video is of your area ...

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/3488771/9702249

It was taken last Sept. 11 as I made my way out in front of the " Breezy Cross" 911 memorial to bow my head for a moment and say a few words of gratitude in memory of the guys you lost that day.

Tags
dorado, faster, kaskazi